Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
VEGANS!!!! Come on in I want to pick your brain!

I recently became interested in trying to convert to be a vegan. I follow a vegetarian lifestyle most of the time...but I am not strict.

I want to know what the heck do you eat? I saw a few blogs and it looks like the foods are all exotic and it looks like they take a lot of time to prepare them...is this true? I don't really have time to be cooking every single thing from scratch....unless it could be made a head of time like once a week or something....

How did you convert? LIke did you do it cold turkey overnight or was it gradual?

I will most likely be the only vegan in my home, will my grocery bill double because I will be buying seperate meals?

Anybody know of any awesome vegan blogs?

I am mostly interested in being a vegan so I can eat/feel healthier and I would also like to lose some weight. Did you lose weight when you became vegan?

We don't have a whole foods or trader joes close to us. Anybody have any good recs of vegan groceries at stores like Walmart and regular grocery stores?

What are vegan friendly foods when it comes to restaurants? Things like Mcdonalds/subway/applebees etc. I don't live in a big city where they have "vegan restaurants".

I would love to know your stories, fave recipes etc

I think that is all I can come up with for now.

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: VEGANS!!!! Come on in I want to pick your brain!

?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
cinister
Registered Users

I'll try to give you some input
I'm not 100% vegan but try to eat as close to vegan as I can. In home though everything I cook is vegan it's more when i'm away from home and other people are cooking for me the odd dairy or egg finds it way into my meals. I don't know if i'll ever be able to call myself 100% but I feel like at least I have made a significant change for the better.

Anyway for me it has been a slow conversion. I went vegetarian almost exactly a year ago now and then started cutting out the rest. Df and my 2 kids are all omnis and I do most of the cooking here.. I try to limit meat meals to 2-3 times a week for them.
At the beginning I played with some soy yougurt, non-dairy cheeses and even a few fake meats. I really don't eat any of those much anymore as I don't feel a need to replace the real thing anymore. I do cook from scratch alot though.

Some of our typical meals are
Mexi night - either wraps or tacos although I like to just eat mine like a salad. I do ground beef for them and black beans for me then have guac, tomatoes, salsa, lettuce and onions for toppings.

Veggie or Tofu Stirfry

Rice paper wraps .. lots of veggies, herbs, tropical fruits cut up, rice noodles or rice and sometimes beef or chicken for them or occasionally tofu for me with different dipping sauces

Chickpea stew or veggie chili

Kebabs with Pita and hummus (kebabs can be made with meat or veggies)

In the winter at least once a week we have a homemade soup night.. tons of vegan choices there

Rice and beans with maybe some sort of meat cooked on the side to please DH

Grain or bean salads for my main and then they can add on some meat on the side if they want

Burgers/veggie burgers/grilled portobellos

Sloppy lentils

Homemade Pizza - I just make mine piled high with veggies (make sure to include some salty ones like olives, pickled peppers or artichokes) and skip any fake cheese

Pastas - Either basic tomato sauce, med style pasta (olives, tom, mush, onions, aspagus ect all cooked together to be like a sauce).. and also recently made some vegan pesto that turned out amazing.. DH actually thought I put Parmesan in it. When we do lasagna I do make a more complex vegan version from veganomicon or I just skip lasagna all together.

Some nights if i'm not very hungry i'll just have the sides (rice and veggies, potatoes and salads ect) and not worry about making a vegan substitute for their meat.

I don't think all of these take that long to make to be honest with the exception of a few. I do pre cook and freeze my beans and tomato sauces which helps.

I also don't find my grocery bills have changed that much, especially since i don't eat cheese anymore ( i used to have a little problem hehe)

I have not really lost weight and actually gained a bit but I have not been very careful with calories as I was more concerned with eating proper at first. Now i'm on a mission to bring my weight back down (would like to loose about 15lbs) I do feel a lot better, my skin cleared up and my stomach seems happier.

Shopping.. I am in Canada and do have a lot of options but find most food I eat I can find in the regular grocery stores here. Veggies I go to a market or farmers market when possible. I do buy a big container of earth balance from a health food store and sometimes tempah or veganaise (although I have seen this in our regular grocer) Organic Tofu and organic soy milk, vegan cheeses and other dairy alts are available in our regular stores.

Oh and eating out I really don't do much but I have recently found Taco Del Mar that makes an awesome vegan burrioto.. love it!

That's all I have for now.. this is getting long but I just wanted to see someone reply to your post
cinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LMAO. Thank you so much for the long post...I will be referring to it oftern lol. I just went to the store last night and wanted to pick up a few vegan things. The Boca burgers weren't all that expensive, but I was about to buy some "veggie cheese" it was $4.19 for 8 slices! Ouch!!! I think I will probably be buying just a lot more fruits/veggies instead of looking for expensive meat/cheese/dairy replacements!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not vegan but have been thinking about it...I just posted about wanting to go meat- free. OMG I'd miss cheese though. I want to try some recipes with tofu but I'm nervous LOL
Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
BrittBBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not vegan, but my sister is.
Check out I can't believe its Vegan! for a list of foods you would never guess were vegan, like oreos!

Oh heck, I live like 30 minutes from you. Haha. Milwaukee has a variety of vegan resturants, and a whole foods. Walmart tends to carry some soy cheese and stuff in the produce department, but I'd hit up a Woodmans if you can (Oak Creek would probably be closest to you.)

Here's my sister BLOG its called The Thriftiest Vegan. She does a lot of shopping at Whole Foods since she lives in Milwaukee, but she'd probably be more than willing to answer any questions you have.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great thread.. I am subbing

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBBT View Post
I am not vegan but have been thinking about it...I just posted about wanting to go meat- free. OMG I'd miss cheese though. I want to try some recipes with tofu but I'm nervous LOL

Yeah, I could never go vegan. I love eggs and cheese way too much. I dont care much for the soy or rice cheeses, but thats just me.

As far as tofu goes, here's an easy first time recipe.
"Eggless Egg Salad"

Some Extra firm Tofu, drained, chopped into blocks and pressed. (Tofu has a lot of extra water in it. Just put the chunks of tofu on some paper towels, put more papertowels on top of them and then a baking sheet with a few cans of veggies on top. Let it sit like that for 10 minute or so)

Chop the tofu up into pieces sized to your liking.
Add some "Mayo," mustard, tumeric, salt, pepper, onion powder, relish. Mix it up and cover it, put it in the fridge for a little while to let all the flavors marry. Then eat!

I used a mayo substitute called Nayonaise. =)
Old 07-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
quirkbean
Registered Users
Formerly: ShortStackCustoms
seller

My Mood:

I've been a vegan for 3 years now, was thru my pregnancy, and still am! I enjoy it, very much so! My boyfriend is also, so it makes things easy when making meals. I eat a lot of vegtables, and fruit. I use to follow a raw foods diet, but that became kinda expensive. We don't spend much on food. I live in northern indiana, so there aren't any fast food vegan friendly places, anywhere like that you'd have to be in cali. We eat a lot of boca chicken patties, canned beans, peanut butter, tempe (tons of protein), tofu (im not much of a fan), TVP (textured vegtable protein), brown rice, pasta, and TONS of soymilk. I do feel very healthy! I just went "cold turkey" one day, but had been a vegatarian for 3 years before that. Meals don't ever take me more then 15-20 minutes top. I don't have time to cook fancy vegan things more then a few times a week. Vegweb.com is a great site with lots of good recipes. BTW I lost A TON of weight. Not my reason for going vegan, but noticed I was losin soon after I switched! If you have any other questions feel free to PM me! Be sure to read labels! Some things say veggy, or lactose free, but still have bi products like whey, or a milk protein. BHT is common, and not vegan, it's a preservative, even is cereal! Even if it says vegan read it! Going vegan really is easy, it's not all grass, and salad! -Brenna
quirkbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
cinister
Registered Users

I agree with reading the labels. Things like Soy cheese that you think is okay will quite often have milk protein in it still (which I just don't get.. why make soy cheese if your still going to use dairy??)

I truly NEVER though I would be able to give up dairy and eggs. I never liked milk but cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs I loved! I remember thinking how perfect of a food eggs were. Now I buy my family eggs from a small farm just down the street but can hardly stand cracking them anymore. They seem so repulsive! Someone made waffles and used eggs in them and that was all I could taste, it was gross :P

Cheese I still get the odd craving but I really don't miss it much these days. I've made some crock cheese spread from the uncheese cookbook that I liked a lot and I eat lots of hummus or guac or peanut butter when i'm craving something rich. All dishes like pizza, lasagna, burritos seem just as tasty without it now..

My hardest thing with trying to go vegan has been telling other people. My DF is very supportive and when he cooks he always makes sure it's 100% but at friends houses they just don't seem to get it. Just last week I did a road trip up to visit lots of family and friends on the way and I got a few .. you still eat chicken though right? It's not meat.. or feta is okay right, because it's feta? Or another girlfriend made lasagna for us.. with a veggie one for me but still loaded with cottage cheese and cheese.. I picked around it because she had lots of other people over and I didn't want to look like a crazy person. I just don't like drawing attention to myself but i'm getting better and hopefully people will start to understand more. Vegan just always seemed so extreme to me and I know it does to other people but once you make the switch you realize how easy it is.. and also notice how much excessive animal products are consumed around you daily!
cinister is offline   Reply With Quote