Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Contractions ONLY when laying down?

I shouldn't exactly say "only" because I do get several "stray" ones while I'm up and about. I'm 37w3d (tomorrow). I've had contractions on and off for 11 (almost 12) days now. I've been to the hospital twice in the past week, first I got sent home after having contractions 5 minutes apart for 2 hours (just at the hospital, not including at home) but I didn't change at all since I got there. Then the last time they sent us walking and things calmed down so we told them we were just going home. That was yesterday.

So, today I had contractions off and on all day and lots this morning. While watching a movie they were coming 3 minutes apart and were getting pretty painful. But as soon as I got up they stopped. Had a few strays but nothing to serious. Then tonight while laying down and reading a book I was having them 2 minutes apart, NO JOKE. I'm totally serious here. I thought that this had to be it, they were very strong and I had to put my book down to concentrate threw them. So, I got up to take a nice hot bath and get a few things done, but they stopped pretty much as soon as I got up. How annoying right? Tell me about it, I'm fed up..I'm tired and just can't wait for this to be over (19 days!) I know he will come when hes ready but if he isn't coming soon I wish the contractions would stop, I'm just so tired half way threw the day and my 3 year old is getting so bored with me because I don't want to move and play as much.

So is there a logical explanation why these contractions get really close together and hurt REALLY bad only when I'm laying down? I mean they happen when I'm laying on either side or laying down propped up with pillows on my back but not flat.

I'm still having them now, about 5 minutes apart and they are lasting about 40-50 seconds long...but they will fade away soon, like always haha. Or they will be 2-3 minutes apart as soon as I go to bed!
Oh and I'm 2cm dilated and 60% effaced. Things really haven't changed much...

Monday the 20th- At the hospital I was 1.5cm and 50% effaced
Thursday the 23rd- OB appoinment I was "not quite 2 and 60%)
Sunday the 26th- At the hospital again I was 2cm and 60%

Advertisement

Last edited by MyM&W; 07-27-2009 at 08:50 PM.
MyM&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Contractions ONLY when laying down?

I get them lying down too. I had some the other night 10 minutes apart, achey in my cervix, but not low tummy or back. I figure I will ignore all contractions and timing until I cannot manage through them w/o concentration, otherwise I would make myself crazy.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I get them lying down too. I had some the other night 10 minutes apart, achey in my cervix, but not low tummy or back. I figure I will ignore all contractions and timing until I cannot manage through them w/o concentration, otherwise I would make myself crazy.
LOL thats how I feel, but today whenever I have a contraction its mostly in my lower back pelvic area. And then off and on I'll get period type cramps but with no contractions. This pregnancy has been SO different then my first. I feel like a first time mom again
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmommy0503 View Post
LOL thats how I feel, but today whenever I have a contraction its mostly in my lower back pelvic area. And then off and on I'll get period type cramps but with no contractions. This pregnancy has been SO different then my first. I feel like a first time mom again

Can you do stuff while having them or do they require all your focus? When I am in labor I putter around until I cannot do that any more. I never time contraxs in labor, only a few in beginning, never look at clock.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yesterday when I was getting the painful ones I would have to stop and breath threw them, but it wasn't to bad. The ones that I had while laying down/relaxing watching a movie were really bad, I had to stop watching the movie and close my eyes to focus threw them. They petered out last night, again. I'm going for a walk today *again* so hopefully it will get things moving along and hopefully stick around this time.
Yeah, I've head that a timed uterus never contracts
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hang in there!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
dsharp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This might be a long shot, but are you more relaxed, especially mentally, when lying down? Sometimes we get so excited that we slow down our labor. That's typically why many women have faster labors with an epidural is because they are able to completely relax their body when they can no longer feel the pain. Maybe try some meditation/deep breathing type things and see what happens? Perhaps you are getting so excited when you think the labor is picking up that you are making it slow down again?
TTC #3
dsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm thats possible. I do get pretty excited. I'm going to go lay down and watch a movie while dd naps so I'll see if they start to pick up again, if they do once the movie is over I'll try to do deep breathing or meditation and see if that helps Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember getting them a lot laying down and up but more when I was walking around when it was preterm and not as much walking around closerto the end.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just remember that even though you aren't in active labor, those contractions ARE doing something! You can do it mama. I have no advice for why they happen when you lie down, but still, having "prelabor" (not FALSE, nothing false about the pain, thanks Henci Goer!) contractions mean that something is happening.