Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
My bread didn't rise!

I followed the recipe but the bread barely rose. I baked it anyway and it's so hard I could knock someone out with it. I've never tried bread before so I have no clue what I did wrong. How long does it take to double it's size, anyway. The recipe said "awhile" and I waited a few hours. The recipe called for 4 1/2-5 1/2 c. flour but how do you know? Maybe I used too much...

Advertisement

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Re: My bread didn't rise!

what kind of yeast did you use??

when I first started making bread I didn't know that I had to put the packet of yeast in warm water to activate it. that makes a difference.

also where did you put it to rise? did you put it in a warm spot with a towel on top? you can use a dry or a damp towel, I have heard it done both ways.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
geez0pete
Registered Users

My Mood:

After bringing the milk and oil to a boil, I turned of the heat off and added rolled oats. I added molasses, salt, and a packet of fast rise yeast (I didn't know what to choose at the store) after the milk was lukewarm. Beat for 2 min. and add flour slowly. Knead for 8-10 min. I left the dough in the bowl to rise and only covered it with a towel maybe an hour later because I remember seeing it done somewhere. :smiley

Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

depending on your location (in an area that is super dry or humid)... your flour might be dry.

I live in the desert and although my flour is still good, it's gotten sucked dry by the air so I have to add about an 1/8th cup extra water. I'd make bread in the breadmachine and get this ginormous brick. It was unreal! I tested the yeast and did everything that I can think of and then I found this book on bread machine mistakes and it was perfect for the idiot like me that needs pictorials to show what's up. Well.... my bread came out exactly like what you've described and it was the flour.

good luck mama and hope whatever the problem is, resolves and you can get back on track with the bread making!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
After bringing the milk and oil to a boil, I turned of the heat off and added rolled oats. I added molasses, salt, and a packet of fast rise yeast (I didn't know what to choose at the store) after the milk was lukewarm. Beat for 2 min. and add flour slowly. Knead for 8-10 min. I left the dough in the bowl to rise and only covered it with a towel maybe an hour later because I remember seeing it done somewhere. :smiley

I would try bringing the milk and oil to a boil, then adding the yeast (rapid rise is fine) and let it sit for one minute (it will bubble a little bit and this is the yeast being activated) then add your other dryer ingredients. of course put a towel over the bowl right away and put in a warm draft-free spot. the oven is good for this (or microwave) if not hot
Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
depending on your location (in an area that is super dry or humid)... your flour might be dry.

I live in the desert and although my flour is still good, it's gotten sucked dry by the air so I have to add about an 1/8th cup extra water. I'd make bread in the breadmachine and get this ginormous brick. It was unreal! I tested the yeast and did everything that I can think of and then I found this book on bread machine mistakes and it was perfect for the idiot like me that needs pictorials to show what's up. Well.... my bread came out exactly like what you've described and it was the flour.

good luck mama and hope whatever the problem is, resolves and you can get back on track with the bread making!!!!
maybe bread flour would be good too?? I know some mamas use bread flour for pizza dough
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdlane View Post
I would try bringing the milk and oil to a boil, then adding the yeast (rapid rise is fine) and let it sit for one minute (it will bubble a little bit and this is the yeast being activated) then add your other dryer ingredients. of course put a towel over the bowl right away and put in a warm draft-free spot. the oven is good for this (or microwave) if not hot
Won't adding the yeast at that point (just after boiling) kill it? Is it possible the yeast is old? That could cause problems too.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
geez0pete
Registered Users

My Mood:

I bought the yeast only a couple days ago but when I added it, the milk mixture was still steaming although I didn't notice that until I started beating it. Maybe I killed it? I didn't know that was a possibility. I also used plain ol' whole wheat flour (bought that fairly recently, too). I'm in MI and it is very dry in my house.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacim View Post
Won't adding the yeast at that point (just after boiling) kill it? Is it possible the yeast is old? That could cause problems too.
I don't know
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
I bought the yeast only a couple days ago but when I added it, the milk mixture was still steaming although I didn't notice that until I started beating it. Maybe I killed it? I didn't know that was a possibility. I also used plain ol' whole wheat flour (bought that fairly recently, too). I'm in MI and it is very dry in my house.
I am pretty sure you can kill it if the temp is too high. I saw 115 degrees on one site, but I have seen some recipes with temps a little higher than that. I also have heard that you might want to up the yeast amount a little (not sure how much) if you are using whole wheat. So, if the recipe didn't originally call for whole wheat flour, that may have made a difference too.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote