Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
mrsallary
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sewing with Lastin

Have a few questions about Lastin:

Are you supposed to stretch out the lastin before you stretch it while sewing it into the diaper? I don't know if that really makes sense, but my pattern says measure 4" lastin unstretched. So do I stretch it while sewing it or stretch it out first, then sew it?

Can I "case" lastin like I do polybraid? Meaning tacking on the ends, then sewing the casing around it while T&Ting.

Can I use a regular zig-zag while sewing it?

Does it wear out faster than polybraid?

Any other advice you can give me about using it? TIA

Advertisement

mrsallary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sewing with Lastin

I remember reading a great tutorial on using Lastin, I thought it was from the KCK site, but I can't find all the info I remember reading. I'll quote what I did find below, and I'll write what I remember reading.

I read that you always want to pre-stretch the lastin before using. You don't ever want to sew the lastin as a casing, you'll want to sew it completely down instead. This is what I remember from one particular piece piece, as it said you don't want to ever backstitch on lastin:

Begin sewing on the fabric, NOT the lastin. Start by sewing a few stitching forward above the first elastic mark, then backstitch. You don't want to backstitch on the lastin as too many stitches/holes can weaken the lastin. Then, start sewing forward again. Place the lastin about 1/2" - 1/4" before elastic start mark, but fold it over a bit. Don't stretch the elastic until you reach the elastic starting point. Begin to stretch the elastic, not too hard, but not too lightly, until you reach the end elastic mark. Fold over the lastin again and stop stretching while you sew another 1/2" - 1/4" past this marker. Go off the elastic and backstitch on the fabric, not the elastic. This should tack it down securely enough while not weaking the lastin.

And this is what Kayla recommends on her site:

Quote:
The Nitty Gritty on Clear Elastic
from Kayla's Cloth Kits

Clear elastic is long strips of polyurethane that has been cut to a specific width. There are different thicknesses available as well. The major brand name for clear elastic is Lastin. Other brands of clear elastic work well for sewing cloth diapers as weel.

Clear elastic should NOT be used in a casing. It should not be just tacked to your application at both ends and be expected to hold up. You need to sew clear elastic directly to your application, preferably with a wide zig zag stitch or a three step (broken) zig zag stitch.

Clear elastic may not gather projects composed of many (4+) layers very well. When using multiple layers in your cloth diaper or other projects, polybraid elastic is preferable.

You should always pre-stretch clear elastic before using it. Do not pull clear elastic too tightly when sewing it to your application as it can tear. Most people either love clear elastic or hate clear elastic. You won't know for yourself unless you try it!

If you are interested in testing a small amount, try a yard of clear elastic when you purchase the KCK elastic sampler (see the related items links below).
I hope that helps mama!!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote