Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: An ethical question about breastfeeding

If my son didn't have milk allergies I would have gladly taken breast milk my friend was offering to ship b/c they were moving out of state and couldn't possibly use/store it all but couldn't dump it either. Unfortunatly, she loved dairy and so my DS would have been all red and rashy! Another friend offered to BF for me when I lost my supply at 4mos but she also drank a lot of milk and loved dairy products. I produced a lot of milk with my twins and they were only taking in 1oz per feeding if we were lucky! I was doing 16oz every 3hrs. Anyway, I wish I would have asked about what I could do with it or had them freeze it for me over that week. Why does this all come to me 10yrs later!?

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I can absolutely see how it can work for people. For me, I think I'd not do it for a mother that was deliberately NOT even trying to nurse (let alone pump) for social reasons (like she thought BF was just gross). But I'd certainly do it for a mama that wasn't able to nurse.

If I get a supply like I did with my DD2... yep... give me a set of triplets... I could have kept them content for hours for 24 months straight. My supply NEVER dwindled... and it was then that I could have used a milk bank or something but it never dawned on me to look.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
I personally think she's doing a good thing and I don't think there's any harm in her charging for it. It *is* work and by helping out another family that would otherwise have to pay 3x's as much, that extra money is probably really helping HER family too.
ITA
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Why not? Perhaps we should look at the ethical aspects of selling cow's milk to babies.....
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

NEVER!

Check out my siggy...

Nope, I'm HUGELY against selling it. I just made another largish donation on Sunday (New Years Eve). (~600oz) The recipient family reimbursed me for bags as is the standard but also offered to pay for the hospital grade pump I rent so that its easier for me to pump more. I declined but then they convinced me and I accepted payment for 2 months worth of rental.

yes its work, yes I have to pump more to feed 2 babies but really, its about karma for me.

I'm not a hugely religious person but I Thank GOD every day for giving me a healthy wonderful baby. I've also been blessed with an abundant supply - why shouldnt I GIVE that to a mom/baby in need?? Not a mom who is too lazy to pump for herself but a mom who truly has tried everything and just cant pump enough. A mom who adopted a crack baby and tried to lactate and only makes a couple of oz a day. How horrible it must be to have a baby who just cant tollerate ff and know you cant make enough no matter what you try....

lately my supply has been plummeting. I've been getting up at 2am this week to pump an additional session. I'm hoping I can recover a bit and still have a surplus so I can continue to feed the recipient baby. It makes me sad to know that I might not be able to.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
A mom who adopted a crack baby and tried to lactate and only makes a couple of oz a day. How horrible it must be to have a baby who just cant tollerate ff and know you cant make enough no matter what you try....
That made me teary eyed. I also had WAY too much milk with both of mine. I wish I had known about milk banks before my supply regulated itself. If I can stay home with my next baby, I will definitly donate/sell my milk to a mother like that.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the responses, but I wish there was someone around to sell me bm for $1 oz when DS was younger. I had a friend pumping and giving me milk, but it wasn't even close to enough to cover what he had to have in formula every day. At $1/oz, I'd have been able to afford to give him nothing but bm.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's great what she's doing....I would sell my milk in a hearbeat if I made enough or if my Rx meds passed the test.

I competly think she is entitled to be paid for her milk too. It takes a lot of time to pump milk...and if she has other kids to care for that makes it even harder to just sit and pump milk. Also, there is supply and demand...if someone is willing to pay for it why shouldn't she sell it? There are places set up to donate it too...and if someone chooses to donate rather than sell then thats great...but I don't think it's any more noble than selling it. Maybe by selling her breastmilk a mama is able to supplement a little bit of income...and it's helping her family out.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I think that sounds fair. She's right about breastmilk being a prescription. I donated a buttload of milk to the local milkbank and have gone through all the testing and know about who gets that milk. You have to pay out the nose for it!
I think charging her $1/oz is fair if the mama isn't providing a new pump or storage containers. Those storage containers can be pretty expensive.
ITA though that if it were a friend, for me, I'd just give it to them instead of letting it go to waste.
I had over supply issues with Riley and was able to donate a lot of milk to the milk bank. I hope someone in need got it and I'm positive that it went to good use helping someone's sick baby.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
I personally think she's doing a good thing and I don't think there's any harm in her charging for it. It *is* work and by helping out another family that would otherwise have to pay 3x's as much, that extra money is probably really helping HER family too.