Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #31
muppet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: An ethical question about breastfeeding

i think it's a fair solution. from what i have heard, pumping can take time and why not compensate the mama? (i will know more later on this subject in about two weeks when baby comes!).

Advertisement

muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #32
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would love if someone I knew and trusted would be willing to sell me milk for $1 an ounce but only if I knew there was enough milk in the bank to provide for the babies in greater need then my DD. If there wasn't I would prefer they donate the milk. If that makes sense.

Jennifer[/QUOTE]

That absolutely makes sense and is very generous of you

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #33
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

you may want to advise her to check the state laws, many states have laws prohibiting the sale of breastmilk amoung other bodily fluids and human tissue.

My take, selling BM is UNETHICAL, no other way around it. You can donate it to milk banks where it will be used for infants who really need it.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #34
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynn View Post
you may want to advise her to check the state laws, many states have laws prohibiting the sale of breastmilk amoung other bodily fluids and human tissue.

My take, selling BM is UNETHICAL, no other way around it. You can donate it to milk banks where it will be used for infants who really need it.
I respectfully disagree. ALL babies need breastmilk (unless they have a disease like galactosemia). Do sick babies benefit greatly from it? I'm not for one second saying they don't, they do. But who's to say the "healthy" child who gets formula because she can't get donated breastmilk (for whatever reason) won't get very ill from it. Either now or down the road.

The reality is the only way you can achieve optimal health for almost all humans is through breastmilk (with mothers milk being best of course). Is it good to donate to milk banks? Sure! But I think to provide breastmilk regardless of to whom or how is a thing to be commended. She's making this family's life easier and providing an affordable way for them to get great nutrition for their baby. IMO hardly unethical.

I'm not debating what the law says, I believe you. In fact, I agree with the law if it prevents jacking up prices to unaffordable rates. However that is not what is happening here.

Another thing... maybe she can't donate to a milk bank for whatever reason (location, avaliabilty, screening)... that doesn't necessarily make her milk inadequate. I still think it's a great deed done.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #35
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
I wish I could donate mine. There does not seem to be anywhere near me that will take it I have a huuuge supply (again, bring on the triplets ) and just one baby to eat it. (Though he *is* 18 pounds at 4 months )

When my best friend gets pregnant I've told her I will help her out if she needs it. Absolutely.

What I don't 100% understand is people saying they would only donate breastmilk if the mother couldn't bf for whatever reason. I can completely understand wanting sick/formula intolerant babies to get bm first. After that though I am fine with my milk going to any healthy baby, regardless of mother's feeling towards breastfeeding herself.

The way I look at it is this. Yes, in a perfect world all mothers would could breastfeed would. I wish we were there. However denying someone pumped milk isn't going to make them bf themselves. For me it's about the babies, not the mothers (not that I'm not trying to help the whole family out, but first and foremost it's about helping a baby get the best IMO).
Im just not THAT generous I guess I spend 3h a day pumping. I often get up in the middle of the night to pump to Ensure that I continue to have 'extra' so that I can donate. I pump in my car everywhere I go. I get up early and I take time away from my own dd to do it sometimes ...why would I do it for a mother who cant be bothered to do it herself??

and ou can still donate. most of the recipient moms will pay for shipping. go to www.milkshare.com and sign up if you're interested. You may find a local donor - you'll def find one willing to pay for shipping. there are a few desperate moms on there right now.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #36
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
Im just not THAT generous I guess I spend 3h a day pumping. I often get up in the middle of the night to pump to Ensure that I continue to have 'extra' so that I can donate. I pump in my car everywhere I go. I get up early and I take time away from my own dd to do it sometimes ...why would I do it for a mother who cant be bothered to do it herself??

and ou can still donate. most of the recipient moms will pay for shipping. go to www.milkshare.com and sign up if you're interested. You may find a local donor - you'll def find one willing to pay for shipping. there are a few desperate moms on there right now.
Like I said, I can understand the other side, but for me, it's all about the babies, so what the Mom does or doesn't do doesn't matter as much.

I signed up! Thanks for pointing me to it. What happens now (I sent in the online form).

You have done such a great thing I hope to be able to help out too
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #37
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a great arrangement for both of them! I wish someone would have bought my BM or that we had a place to donate in my area!!!
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #38
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's just fine. She isn't charging much, so she isn't getting rich off it or anything, and the other mama is saving alot of money.

Maybe she needs the money and this helps her family. Either way, I think it's great. Plus, by having a bit of money involved, it kind of changes the dynamic of it. Otherwise, she might wind up resenting the extra work and stop doing it, KWIM?

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #39
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is a tough one. I used to give my sister my extra milk. But I did not charge her for it.

Last edited by loni1090; 01-12-2007 at 07:36 PM.
loni1090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #40
camperjen
Registered Users
seller

I'd never charge my sister, either. However, a local lady from another chat board recently had a 2 inch abcess removed from one breast and was asking on info where to get milk (the most local milk bank is a 2 hour drive away) and someone suggested me because I had commented that I have a great supply.

We're meeting this weekend so I can give her some milk... not quite $1 an ounce, but only because I'm giving her more than I said I would (hoping she'll be happily surprised). She's unable to nurse from the breast that had surgery (for up to 6 weeks!) and the other breast is unable to keep up with the extra that she needs so she's been supplementing with formula.

Obviously I see nothing wrong with donating or selling for a cheaper price than banks would charge. It makes it affordable for MANY, MANY more women that would otherwise end up formula feeding.

I SOOOO wish someone would have offered me milk when my 1st son was little and I had to supplement so much.