Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about your natural childbirth!

If you had a natural childbirth, I'd love to know about your experience.

What do you feel made it successful? (birth classes, family support etc)

Did you give birth in a Hospital? Birth Center? At home?

What were the biggest challenges to overcome? (fear, complications, etc)

To mother's wanting a natural childbirth, what words of advice, wisdom or encouragment can you offer?

I'm writing a book, and I'm trying to get a few different perspectives and ideas on natural childbirth, how to succeed with it as well as things to consider in preparation. I won't be quoting anyone directly, though (lol).

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your natural childbirth!

What do you feel made it successful? I am head strong and watched a baby story while in labor last time. I also ate ice chips and just took deep breaths thru the contractions. In through my nose and blew out thru my mouth.

Did you give birth in a Hospital? yes

What were the biggest challenges to overcome? (fear, complications, etc) My biggest fears to over come were having my blood drawn and getting the IV's. I hate needles!!

To mother's wanting a natural childbirth, what words of advice, wisdom or encouragment can you offer? it is great and just remember to breathe through the contractions. Don't hold your breath. it makes them hurt worse. The breathing through them kept me calm.

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bump
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
WinterMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hypnobirthing classes! With our first, my Dh & I took bradley classes at the BC and he was as supportive as he was the second time, but the HypnoBirthing made the difference. As did a MIDwife instead of a MEDwife.

Birthing Center

The Baggage of not delivering naturally with #1, though attempting to do so. Then while in labor, it was just to keep it going enough to get the chance. With both, my water broke first and even my great midwives this time said I had to be on my way somewhere within 24 hours to avoid the hospital. So I had to suck it up and do some alternative inducements (castor oil and acupuncture). If I'd had our HypnoBirth Instructor attend the birth I'll bet she could have gotten my labor going again on our own, though. The mind is very powerful. I will say it was the most relaxing labor ever! 21 hours and only the last 90 minutes were intense. I was super well-rested. A stark contrast from #1.

To mother's wanting a natural childbirth, what words of advice, wisdom or encouragment can you offer?
You can do it! Your body was made to do it, and it does NOT have to hurt! There is nothing physiological about the act of childbirth that makes it hurt, it has been programmed into our heads, but it does not.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome! Keep 'em coming mamas!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

(NAK)

You can read my birth story in my siggy. I had a natural birth in a hospital with my first and it sucked! Then I had a home birth with DD and it was amazing!! I was in labor at my sons soccer game (dilated to a 7) and nobody even knew it! It was the best decision I ever made for myself and my baby!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
lovemybabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second was a natural birth in a hospital setting. Learn what relaxes you--if breathing works do it, if silence or music, or talking or warm water or whatever works do it. The more relaxed you are the easier it will be. If you are tense, labor will be horrible! Pushing will hurt--but only until the baby is out and then you have a beautiful little bundle and it will all be worth it. Delivering the placenta is usally a piece of cake after that (it was for me anyhow). Key thing is finding what relaxes you!!
lovemybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
WinterMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

That reminds me, I forgot to add to my post above, there is no need to push. That was another amazing thing I learned in HypnoBirthing. Your body will do it all on it's own when the time is right.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
apetelo
Registered Users

Having the experience of a previous birth, knowing that I could handle it (I succumbed to an epidural after 35 hrs. of labor for DD#1). My husband is wonderful, never left my side, held me during every contraction. I also had a waterbirth, so looking forward to that helped me to say no to the meds.

Hospital Birthing Center, with a MidWife

I was calm, anxious to meet my baby, I don't remember having any fear, but afterall it was my second birth.

Focus on meeting your baby, and that the pain is only temporary. Tell your family/supporters your desire to go natural and ask them to help you with that and remind you when you feel like you can't do it anymore.

Last edited by apetelo; 01-04-2007 at 08:31 PM.
apetelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Not viewing it as a huge deal. I think we are way to caught up in birth being this big thing. Its just a normal thing that women have done for years....nothing to get too uppity about.

Why at home, ofcourse

Actually, I had to switch midwives at 40 weeks because they were too medical. I found one that I liked, but barely made it over to an island 30 minutes away (by ferry) by the time I went into labour. It was a challenge for me to find a midwive hands off enough for me.

Read good birth stories. Don't go to hospitals. Pregnancy is not a sickness. Your body and your baby will work together and the birth will work out perfectly