Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Your experiences with being GBS+

So, this is my 6th baby, first time out of hospital(birth center). I was so excited about not having to deal with IVs this time and now for the FIRST time(well my first 2 they didn't test back then) being GBS+. UGH!

My plan had always been even if I was positive I wasn't going to the BC early. The place is TINY, there is no where to walk around and the rooms are tiny also. So I just imagine spending laboring time there. I usually arrive at the hospital in time to check in, labor for a few minutes and then push. lol.

At the BC you have to have the antibiotics FIVE ours before the baby can be born. So you can see why I don't want to go THAT early. It's crazy. In fact all of my labors aren't even five hours from the time I realize that it's actually labor this time to the time the baby is born.

Should I just put it all out of my head and not worry? I know the chances of it being passed on to the baby are very low...

So what have your experiences been? Have you been positive and didn't get antibiotics? Anyone have a sick baby because of it? How much do the antibiotics actually help the baby anyway?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
sunnybunny0726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your experiences with being GBS+

While I don't have any advice for you, I have a GBS+ thread going in the regular pregnancy forum where some moms have given their experience that might be helpful for you. I'll be watching this thread too!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was GBS+ in urine w/ my second pregnancy, just assumed I was w/ the rest. Did various herbals treatments and garlic, this time I plan on the hibiclens. All were born at home, no antibiotics and all had no issues.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is hibiclens?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmJoyFul View Post
What is hibiclens?
A liquid antiseptic

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000GCLU42
Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
punkinbaby
Registered Users
Formerly: vegaslibra
seller

My Mood:

I did the hibiclens and had no issues.
punkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was GBS+ first time round, and being my first i really didn't know i had an option to NOT have antibiotics. I got them, but I only got to hospital 3 hours before she was born so only ended up with one dose. It was a quick labor. I have to say that this time round I am definitely going to do the garlic suppositories before i get tested, and then go the natural route if I am positive. Once I got into the hospital with the drip it was harder to move around while it was going and i ended up with a shot of fentanyl. After that I was fine and got in the tub etc, but this time i want to avoid all drugs. even if you are positive, the chances of it being passed on are still very low. I would try the natural route and get tested again in a couple of weeks, your status could change!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My story (feel free to PM me)...

So, I've been Beta Strep w/every pg. W/Little Man I took the test and it came back positive. So, my doula told me to have it redone. This time I inserted a clove of garlic every 12 or so hrs (more if it fell out) for 3 days before the test. I washed very well just before the appt, too. The second test came back negative!

This time, I did the garlic and washing and requested they not swab my rectum....I'm not delivering this baby via my rectum! Most Mama's don't realize that their rectum has even been swabbed because it's so quick and light. So, I got the results today and I am Negative! :woohoo:
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've always been positive- never had a rectal swab- the OB puts the speculum inside my vagina and does it during her internal so this is how I know it- I can feel it.

I've always had the antbx because if something ever happened, its not something to take lightly and I didn't want to know that I was the one responsible for having knowing I was + and would've prevented it by just getting an IV.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
mama_harrison
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just had a vaginal de;ivery 20 days ago--gbs+, no antibiotics--dd is doing wonderful!

nak
mama_harrison is offline   Reply With Quote