Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Catrinau
Registered Users
seller

Bad OB Appt today :(

I want to start out saying that I LOVE my ob. I really trust him and have only had really good experiences with him through 2 births.

But today ... I really questioned a lot of things.

I'm having problems with preterm labor. I'm 33 weeks and have dilated to 1cm. My last ds was born at 36 weeks gestation and didn't have enough surfactant in his lungs. He was taken to a hospital 2 hrs away and was there for 2 weeks getting more doses of surfactant and being on a respirator until he was well enough to breath on his own. My first ds was born at 37 weeks and had severe pneumonia and apnea and acid reflux at birth and had to be in the hospital for 2 weeks getting oxygen and other help. They already told me that this baby will most likely come early. I've been to L&D and EVERYONE is telling me that they HOPE we can keep the baby in me until 36 weeks.

At my last appt the other ob in the practice told me that they would do an ultrasound at 34 weeks to see how big the baby was and in what position he was in (he was breech at my last u/s). They are also afraid that the baby might be too big for me to birth because I'm so huge in measurements. They know that I'm hell bent on having a vaginal birth, so have let me know that they will do what they can to make sure I can. (Both my previous births were vaginal).

Today I asked my ob about it because I'll be 34 weeks next week. He told me that he thinks we should wait until 36 weeks to get the u/s. Um... EXCUSE ME?!?! My last baby was born at 36 weeks. Should we schedule the u/s for the day after his birth???

I then asked him about the steroids that they can give you to help develop the baby's lungs. He told me that they don't give them after 34 weeks because they really aren't considered preemies after that so he isn't going to do it. Ok ... I still have a week before I'm 34 weeks. That is enough time to do it. Does he not remember that both of my boys were born with lung problems at 36 and 37 weeks?

So as he is trying to walk out the door (he must have been in a super hurry) I ask him about the hormone shot to help bring my milk in. He tells me he has never heard of that (although he told my friend .. or at least she said he did... that he could give her that shot so that she could get milk in to start bf'ing her adopted children). He tells me that you can never bf a baby unless you have given birth before. I know this is not true because I have seen documented cases of it. It is hard, but you can. Anyway .. he looks at my chest and tells me that I just may be a woman that can't bf and most likely it is because I'm so small chested and don't have enough breast tissue. This really got me upset because I know for a fact that the size of your breasts will not hinder your milk supply. I know a lady that wears a TRAINING bra or NO bra and she has breastfed all of her babies. AND ... EXCUSE ME .. but I'm a D cup. When is that considered small???????

Oh.. and he asked me "So did your 3 hr glucose turn out ok?" I kinda rolled my eyes at him and said "Um... since I didn't hear from YOU I guess so." He looked at my chart and told me that it looked good. one of the draws was a little high so I should watch my diet.

So that was my appt. Totally disappointing. I've kinda lost faith in him. I know he told me some things that were totally not true. He was in such a hurry I felt like I was begging him to spend 5 minutes with me and answer my questions.

Oh .. and I'm measuring 41 weeks ... at 33 weeks.

And when I told him I had constant cramping and contractions quite often he SHRUGGED his shoulders and went "eh... not so bad then, eh?"

I just want to cry. I'm so scared that this baby is gonna be born with lung problems again. I feel like I'm floundering here with no direction and totally trusted and loved my doc ... and now ... now I wonder.

Ugh.

Catrina

Advertisement

Mom to 3 rough and tumble boys. Wife to one totally awesome man!

My Crafting Blog!
Catrinau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad OB Appt today :(

I would look for a new doc....
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Catrina - if it was me, i would be calling them back tomorrow with a detailed list of questions and asking for a call back from the OB. you might want to also get together all the ammo you need for a discussion with them (e.g., the name of the drug for bf, etc.). i don't know what exactly i would do if i didn't feel satisfied with how they handled my concerns during a follow up phone call.

but that really sucks that he was hurrying you and not taking your concerns seriously.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
canadiannancy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ver disappointing. I hate it when they don't make an effort to at least glance at your file before you come in for appointments. Like with your history of pt labor and saying the ultraound should be after 36 weeks and asking how your gtt went grrr. I would be running to find another dr...maybe not practical at 34 weeks...but man....
canadiannancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh my goodness! How awful! I'm so sorry your OB was so terrible!

I don't know how possible it really is to find another OB this late into the pregnancy, but something needs to be done... I guess you can always take your records to a new OB. (Or midwife?)

I saw a midwife for both of my boys, and chose to deliver in the hospital for both of my boys. I wanted a midwife in part because I wanted to have more say in what was and was not done and felt that midwives would be in more agreement with some of the things I did and did not want. I had really good experiences with my midwives. (I actually saw 4 midwives throughout the pregnancies because they do not know who will be on call when you go into labor, so they want you to get to know every one and be comfortable with every one, and I was.)
smapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All I have to say is THAT is scary!! He seems so unconcerned!! I'd definately call like a OP suggested
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry your OB isn't taking your concernse seriosuly especialy since your are so worried about another early delivery.

I knowo there is a drug (Domperidone) that is prescribed widely in Canada for milk production, it comes in pill form. I also had issues with milk supply with my ds and plan on using Domperidone with baby #2 if I need to.
If your OB wont give you prescription for it you can buy it from online pharmacies from Canada that sell to Americans.

Did your OB not suggest anything to you to try and keep the baby inside a little longer? I would be surprised if he didn't put you on bed rest for at least 3 weeks so the baby could get a bit bigger and hopefuly be born without lung issues like your other dc.

I really hope your baby decides to stick around for a couple more weeks. Please keep us in touch with how things are going.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

One question though. WHy are you concerned about the shot to start your milk production?

I do know a woman who had a serrogate mother deliver the baby and she was able to start lactating...BUT if you deliver that baby your body is going to produce the horomone you need to start lactating on your own. It will take a few days for your milk to come in...but it WILL come in!
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Gosh! I feel for you!!
I totally agree with the person who told you to call back in the morning. Be the squeaky wheel and don't be afraid to make yourself heard!! Also as far as the ultrasound goes, is it something that you could pay for right now on your own (some place you can have them done around here for under $100 if all you want is baby size and positioning info)? If it becomes something that you pay for and later on your OB uses the info to help deliver your baby at an earlier time, I'd fight to have your insurance back date a referral to pay for the charges. Also, my mom had all four of us extremely early, my sis was born dead at 32 weeks and revived and is fine now, but I'm almost positive that there is a test they can do in utero on the fetus to determine if the lungs are capable of functioning or not............and YES there is a shot or some med's you can take to improve lung function and around here they will give it to any mama that needs it regardless of how far along she is. A friend's baby was born two weeks early (not even considered preemie) and got the med's because the lungs weren't developed.
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

No advice just
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote