Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad OB Appt today :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermama
but I'm almost positive that there is a test they can do in utero on the fetus to determine if the lungs are capable of functioning or not............
Yes, they can do an amnio and find out. Just thought I would jump in and tell you that your right

Advertisement

Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #12
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryandrew
No advice just
Ditto!

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #13
hockeymom6201
Registered Users
seller

This is why were going to have our next one at home ... OB stink I have had 2 diff ob's with each of my boys ( I always go late) My last baby was 10lbs and almost didnt make it out !!! I had to lie to my ob to get induced I told him dh was going away on business ... I hadn't slept in over two months bc of sever hip and back pain and he was planning on letting me go past 41 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! ahhhhhh I hate doctors!!! Especially at the end of the pregnancy they become so insensitive and retarded ugh!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #14
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

It's really unfortunate that homebirth isn't an option for you, like pp mentioned. Even at this late in the game, I might consider getting a second opinion from another dr. The health of your little one is the most important thing.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow! I am so sorry. Your doc sounds like a jerk! I agree that perhaps you should look into someone else. Maybe someone in the same practice because then they already have your medical records and such.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

first of all, your doc is an ***.

second, there is no way to know that you can't birth a baby w/an x-ray. ultrasounds won't do it. MANY MANY MANY women that are sectioned for the big baby turn around and birth an even bigger one vaginally the next time.

third, stay off your feet at much as possible if you are not already. if i were you, i would put myself on moderate bed rest. (in fact I plan to with my next because mine were are a little early and needed help in the NICU)

fourth, I measured 41 weeks when I delevered at 35 weeks. baby weight 6.15. i had a TON of amnio fluid.

my last OB straight out lied to me about many things and when i called him on it he blamed other people. it is not too late to find another OB
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #17
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whata horrible appointment and doctor....How is he going to treat you while your in labor and post partum?

Jackie
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Sorry to hear that your doc did you that way! I agree with the others that you need to call back or perhaps even try to get another face-to-face to discuss your concerns. They should be able to get you in today, if not with him, with another one of the doctors. Maybe that would actually be even better because if you discuss your concerns with another doc in the same practice, they will likely question him about it and there will be a little peer pressure. I know how scary it is (and how difficult!) to change docs in the third trimester so since you've had good experiences with this guy in the past, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt...maybe he was just having a bad day and when you talk to him, he'll realize that he was out of line. If you call for an appointment, try to get the last appointment before lunch or the last appointment of the day so that (hopefully) he won't be running out the door to get to another patient.

As for your actual concerns, we've talked before and I'm in basically the same boat. My first was born at 34.5 weeks and we're struggling to keep this one in until 34 weeks. I'm almost 31 weeks now but my MW and I are both thinking any day now. So here's my "expert medical opinion" ( ) on your situation.

Try not to fret about the size of the baby. They started telling me around 22 weeks that DJ was too big and I'd need a C-section because there was no way they'd let me even try to deliver him. He weighed 6-2!!! Now, on his due date he was almost 11 pounds but that's beside the point...nature took care of things! They did an ultrasound with him a week or so before he was born because I was measuring so big and the tech told me that he was a good size but I had too much amniotic fluid which is why I was measuring big. My OB didn't seem concerned about it and didn't even want to discuss it with me. I did some research on my own and found that too much fluid can cause premature rupture of membranes (which is what happened to me) but that was it. If that is the problem, I don't know if there's anything to be done about it. Here's one thing I have kind of mixed feelings about...ok, you want to have the u/s to check the size and position and give you some peace of mind if you're going to deliver early. I get that, believe me. But, the flip side of that is that you want to avoid a C-section...if you have the u/s and the baby is larger than normal, they're going to put a lot of pressure on you to have the CS. If you just wait it out, the baby will come when he's ready and he'll be the size he's supposed to be, and you'll all find out at the time. The breech thing is a bigger concern but worst case, you should have a little bit of warning when you go into labor...they can do the u/s then and check the position and decide how to proceed then. That will actually give you a better idea than doing an u/s now when you might not go into labor for another couple of weeks and the baby could turn between now and then...you know? I know the waiting game is unnerving...I'm right there with you...but you don't want to give them any more ammo to pressure you or bully you into accepting interventions you don't want.

I agree with you on the steroids and I think I would definitely ask for a second opinion on that. If it makes you feel any better, I discussed the same thing with my MW yesterday and she told me that they don't give the steroids after 34 weeks because the stress of labor is usually enough to kick the baby's lungs into overdrive to produce the necessary surfactant. She did say that white males have the hardest time with getting their lungs ready early though. She did mention that they can do an amnio to check something with the lungs but we're not to that point yet so we didn't talk about it in detail. Even if it's not standard to give the steroids past 34 weeks, I think you're right that they need to look at your history and make a decision for *this baby*, not "most babies". You should also do a little research to find out if there are any drawbacks to giving the steroids though. I don't know if there are, but you need to know both sides. I have heard speculation that the steroids caused a baby to bigger than he normally would...whether that's true or not, I don't know...but it's possible that's why they're hesitating.

As for the hormone shot to bring your milk in, why is that a concern? Did you have problems breastfeeding in the past? Obviously he's wrong about not being able to breastfeed unless you gave birth, but I think that's one that I would wait until after the baby is born for. I haven't heard of a hormone shot to make you lactate (not to say it doesn't exist, I just haven't heard of it) but I know that there are herbs and drugs that can help with lactation. Domperidone is used in Canada but not so much in the US. In the US, Reglan is used but has more side effects. Fenugreek is an herb that also works wonders but should not be taken while you're pregnant. And of course, none of these will work without frequent (constant?) nipple stimulation from either nursing or pumping. The flip side? Nipple stimulation releases oxytocin which is the chemical that causes contractions...it's the natural chemical that Pitocin mimics...pitocin = the stuff they use to induce labor. So if you're worried about going early, you sure don't want to be pumping till after the baby gets here! Again, I know it's frustrating, but this is one you just have to wait for. Maybe you could go by the hospital (or call since you NEED TO BE RESTING! ) and talk with the lactation consultant there. Explain to her that your first two were preemies and in the NICU and whatever experiences you had with them and that you're expecting this one to come early but you really want to be able to breastfeed this time and see what advice she can give you. I'm pretty sure her advice will be the same...rest, relax, call me when the baby's born. But at the very least it will give you someone to talk to and maybe you'll feel more comfortable about how things will go after the baby's born.

On the cramps and contractions, that is frustrating, isn't it! There have been a couple of times in the past two weeks when I was timing my contractions at 5 minutes apart or less for an hour or so, but then just about the time I'd decide that I needed to call, it would stop for a while, only to start back a couple of hours later. I'm sort of torn because I know it's too early for me to have the baby right now so if I really am in labor, I want to get to the hospital as quick as I can so that they can stop it. On the other hand, with DJ, I went to the hospital too early and then couldn't "escape"...and their interventions only made things worse and worse (for both of us...every complication he had was a direct result of something "they" did!). So I don't want to go to the hospital this time until the last possible minute. If the baby's in danger, I want them to be able to stop it, but if not, I want them to leave me alone! And I certainly don't want to drag DJ out in the middle of the night and trek off to the hospital for yet another false alarm. I keep telling myself that if it's the real thing, I'll know soon enough, but that's little comfort (especially since DJ's labor was roughly 5 hours and only moderately uncomfortable...much less than what I've been having for the past few weeks!) I asked my MW yesterday at what point I should get worried because I'm having rather painful contractions almost constantly now. She at least was sympathetic but she said that to some extent I just have to trust myself. Since I've been having these cramps and contractions for several weeks now, they're obviously not an acute threat. If they change or become more painful or more frequent or a new symptom pops up, then I need to be evaluated. But as long as it's just constant...always the same...it's less of a worry. She did say to trust my instincts and don't be afraid to call her if I get scared, even if nothing's changed, because we do have that sixth sense to know when something's going on. Again, little comfort, unfortunately.

I know you're going crazy right now...I wish there was something I could do to help. Just try to hang in there and definitely keep us posted.

bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good grief! DIdn't mean to write a book! Ain't bed rest fun...
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #20
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you should make another appt with the DR., just to talk. If you have had good experiences in the past with him, he might have just been having an off day. I love my OB too, and most of the time he was awesome and took as much time as I needed, but there were times when he rushed an appt., usually because someone was having a baby, or an emergency. With your history you deserve to have your fears validated though. Let us know what you decide to do.