Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Getting out of the hospital within 24 hrs?

I have read how tons of mamas have left the hospital within 24 hrs of birth and some within 12 hrs!! I was kept 3 days and I think part of that was due to being a first time mom and they were saying DD wasn't eating enough (no joke my milk wasn't in yet). Are other hospitals more into doing what the patient wants..mine bullied me a lot I'd love to know how to get out of the hospital quicker next time..thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
sunnybunny0726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting out of the hospital within 24 hrs?

I'm interested in this thread! One thing, though, that stood out to me about your hospital keeping you on your dd not eating due to your milk not being in - it takes most women 3 or so days to get their milk. I stayed 48 hours and when I left, my milk was not in. My milk didn't come in till some time later on day 3. Colostrum is enough that first bit of time.

Some women want to stay. A lot think the longer the better. I wonder if some hospitals aren't just taking advantage of that and making the extra $$!

I want out the first minute they will let me go!!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybunny0726 View Post
I'm interested in this thread! One thing, though, that stood out to me about your hospital keeping you on your dd not eating due to your milk not being in - it takes most women 3 or so days to get their milk. I stayed 48 hours and when I left, my milk was not in. My milk didn't come in till some time later on day 3. Colostrum is enough that first bit of time.

Some women want to stay. A lot think the longer the better. I wonder if some hospitals aren't just taking advantage of that and making the extra $$!

I want out the first minute they will let me go!!
I honestly think the whole "she's not eating enough" thing was just an excuse. I thought I could go home after 48 hrs like my doc said but that evening they came in and said it was too late for me to go home..WTF!!! It was apparently too cold and what not..plus they said that DD's bilirubin level was going up and they wanted to retest her the next morning. I know for a fact that my cousins level was higher than DD's and they let my aunt take him home..her second baby though. And she had my cousin 2 weeks after I had DD..so it was a bunch of bologna!!

My MIL kept saying she loved being in the hospital with all that help because when she got home she knew her husband wasn't going to help..well pardon me but this isn't 1902 and men tend to help more. She should know..her son is the best man I've ever met I just wanted to leave! I felt like I had to rights to my child...hence why I want out of there asap next time!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Where I gave birth, you had to have forms signed by your OB and the baby's pediatrician on file before the birth stating that they were okay with your having a short stay. Mine agreed to 24 hours but nothing shorter.

ETA: Of course her biliruben was going up, I'm pretty sure it peaks around day 3-5. That was just another excuse unless they meant it was going up compared to the level/time chart they compare it to.

Last edited by rosefall; 07-30-2009 at 09:13 PM.
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom is a former midwife and she was calling bull on everything..we were all so mad. Thanks for the tip on the forms. I will have to do that next time!

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 07-30-2009 at 09:18 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I simply said I wanted to leave. So we left after about 12ish hours. I had even had an epidural for the birth. We weren't doing all the nursery stuff (like the shots or the hearing test or any of that stuff) so there was no reason to wait around. Thankfully my OB approved me wanting to leave, but otherwise I'd have argued. I wasn't going to pay them massive amounts of money to force me to be somewhere I didn't want to be.

But I won't birth in a hospital again if I have the choice.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I simply said I wanted to leave. So we left after about 12ish hours. I had even had an epidural for the birth. We weren't doing all the nursery stuff (like the shots or the hearing test or any of that stuff) so there was no reason to wait around. Thankfully my OB approved me wanting to leave, but otherwise I'd have argued. I wasn't going to pay them massive amounts of money to force me to be somewhere I didn't want to be.

But I won't birth in a hospital again if I have the choice.
My hospital made me feel like I had no choices in anything! I even asked if my DD had to have a bath and they said yes. Obviously they knew I didn't know much. Did you have a vag or c/s? I don't know if they'd let me leave so soon with a c/s
Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileysMommy View Post
My hospital made me feel like I had no choices in anything! I even asked if my DD had to have a bath and they said yes. Obviously they knew I didn't know much. Did you have a vag or c/s? I don't know if they'd let me leave so soon with a c/s
Vaginal, with an epidural. I agree that they probably wouldn't let you leave so soon after a c/s, and it probably is better that way since it's no longer just a birth, but a major surgery. My hospital fought me on the bath, too.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i couldn't have left if i'd wanted to, i had a c/s and could barely walk 4 days later pretty sure i'm NOT going back to a hospital next time, it was AWFUL being there that long.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
greenmom5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My midwife does an in-home visit so the milk thing isn't an issue. I am having a VBAC, so I'll work with a general practice doc (has hospital privelages) and the mw acting as a doula. At the birth center, you could leave within a matter of hours unless it was the middle of the night and then you could stay the night. That is the same plan if I have a successful VBAC. I'd love to head home within 12 hours if I deliver during the day.