Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting out of the hospital within 24 hrs?

I was out in 26 hours, we wanted the PKU test done and they do that at 24 hours, and our little guy was circed (PLEASE no flames!!!), but we managed to get all of that done and be out in 26 hours, no one fought us on anything, they were wonderful; I requested no bath, we used cloth, I hemorrhaged slightly after birth and had an IV put in AFTER birth with pit to help control bleeding but they took that out sooner than normal because I requested it, and I went with him for the circ, for being a hospital birth is was truly perfection. No one bugged me about nursing or anything, they just trusted me mama instinct - BUT it is probably just the hossy and my docs, because they were WONDERFUL with ds1 as well, I stayed longer because I really felt like I had been hit by a truck 'down there' - my labia tore pretty bad and it was rough. But NO tearing with ds2 - thanks to a natural delivery in the water I think!

If I had had a little girl, I would have just done the PKU later in the peds office and been out of there sooner!

I wanted my own bed and bathroom and I just wanted to welcome our little man home to be with his brother and family, plus our recovery units are HORRID, so small and shared - no fun at all!

Next time - I'm hoping to just stay home the whole time

Advertisement

5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am interested in this thread too, glad to see I might need a letter signed by my midwife. I am going to ask about it for sure. I really don't want to stay in the hospital longer than 12 hours. I can't even remember what else needs to be done in the hospital? Hearing test last time they did right away, and I think I could agree to bring the baby in the following day if there are any other important things that need to be done?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
grossfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was 21yrs old, first time mom to Twins (full term: 6-8 and 6-1) and she left the hospital 23 hours after giving birth. I was amazed! They gave her the option of going home that afternoon or the next morning and since they had woke her up constantly the night before (they bathed one baby at midnight and the other at 2am!), she figured she'd get more sleep/rest at home. I just thought they'd want to make sure she could "handle" both before setting her free!

Grammy of fraternal twin girls
Rylee Addison and Makenzie Paige born 8/23/08
grossfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
senorajkids
Registered
seller
seller

I left the hospital 24hrs after Ds birth. I was not allowed to leave any earlier though. I had some light hemorrhaging after birth and OB wanted to be sure that was under control before I left. I also had to take Ds to the pedi the next day to be checked out b/c he had not been seen yet at the hospital. I think that as long as you are both doing well then you should be allowed home. You always have the right to leave whenever you want. They will just make you sign an AMA release. You are not a prisoner and they cannot keep you against your will.

IMHO I recovered a lot more quickly this time around. I credit that to two things-no drugs or epidural during labor and the comfort of my own home ASAP. I wish I had done the same things with my other two.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 AM   #15
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Generally speaking the earliest you can leave (and still have insurance cover everything) is 6 hours after birth. You need your OB/MW approval and also the ped's approval, and getting either *can* be a problem if you don't know what to say/who to speak to. Next time be sure to let your nurses, OB, etc. know that you want EARLY discharge from the beginning, so assuming all goes well they should let you go. Standard discharge times are 2 nights for vaginal and 3-4 for c/s (although there are hospitals discharging after 2 nights for c/s now, too!).

And FWIW, your milk is supposed to come in until 3 days post birth, colostrum is all baby needs until at least 72 hours. And you can always ask to see her weight loss, up to 7% loss is totally normal, 10%+ is where we get worried and supplements may be needed (which can be expressed milk, doesn't have to be formula).
Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorajkids View Post
I left the hospital 24hrs after Ds birth. I was not allowed to leave any earlier though. I had some light hemorrhaging after birth and OB wanted to be sure that was under control before I left. I also had to take Ds to the pedi the next day to be checked out b/c he had not been seen yet at the hospital. I think that as long as you are both doing well then you should be allowed home. You always have the right to leave whenever you want. They will just make you sign an AMA release. You are not a prisoner and they cannot keep you against your will.

IMHO I recovered a lot more quickly this time around. I credit that to two things-no drugs or epidural during labor and the comfort of my own home ASAP. I wish I had done the same things with my other two.
(My bold) be cafedul of this. If you sign out AMA your insurance company can decline payment for the whole visit...

-Rach
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #17
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

For me, it depended on my OB and the Ped. With my last one, we were out in a little over 24 hrs- that included the time before he was born, but then I was only there for an hour before his birth.

With my 1st, I had to wait forever for the ped to do the rounds and check on dd. I would talk to your ped and OB ahead of time.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love all these stories! I was allowed to leave after 48 hours but they kept my baby hostage! So we ended up staying. Her weight wasn't in the risky zone yet and her levels were fine..they were just afraid she'd loose more weight or her levels would go up. I felt like I had to supplement with formula to get my baby out of there since they told me that would help her biliruben go down..and the BFing went downhill from there..ugh.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #19
MomE2MathU
Registered Users
seller

With DS #2 we left at the 24 hour mark. Our nurse knew we were ready to hit the road and the only reason we had to stay the 24 was for the PKU test on baby. She did our discharge paperwork early and had us pack our stuff up. When the 24 hour mark came she took baby for the PKU test while we put on our shoes and she brought him back a couple minutes later and we were out the door. I felt so good after his delivery I could have gone home immediately. But 24 hours was better than the 36 we did with DS #1 (with him we had to wait for the pedi to come and clear him for home). I don't understand staying because the baby isn't eating well. DS1 refused to nurse AT ALL and the pedi still said we could go home as long as I was attempting to nurse him every 2 hours and gave us warning signs of him *needing* to be fed.
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #20
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorajkids View Post
They will just make you sign an AMA release.
FWIW, I did not have to sign out AMA at 12 hours since my OB approved it. I probably could have left a few hours earlier even, as the only reason we waited around for those last few was until my OB got back to the hospital.