Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Chey
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Getting out of the hospital within 24 hrs?

With my first I was glad to stay the extra day. We went home at 2 days.

With my second I stayed just over 24 hours, but was honestly ready to go within a few hours but my Dr would not let me. The hospital had no say on whether I could leave or not, it was my Dr who said I had to stay 24 hours.

With my newbie, I saw a different Dr through my pregnancy than I had with my last 2. I told her how barring no complications, I wanted to go home as soon as possible after the birth and she said that there was no reason I could not go home as soon as I had my blood screen done (I'm RH negative) so my son was born at 1:10am, my Dr gave the nurses the OK for me to leave as soon as I was ready after my blood screen, and she also asked that the lab tech come and draw my blood as soon as possible so that the blood could be processed asap and I could go home. I didn't get to go until almost 6pm that day, but it was better than another night in the hospital and that darn hospital food. Blech.

With your next baby I would talk to your Dr about your wishes to go home soon after delivery. I don't think it is really upto the hospital/nurses, but up to your Dr whether or not you are in the condition to leave. Some Dr's just don't let you go before at least 24 hours (my old Dr is one of those Dr's) and some more liberal Dr's tend to be more accute to the desires of the patient and if there is no reason to keep you longer than you want, they will let you go whenever you are ready.

Good Luck, I think communication regarding your birth plan, and wishes is paramount in having the experience that you desire.

ETA: we just had to go back the following day to have the PKU done, but it was no big deal.

Advertisement

Last edited by Chey; 07-31-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
adriannemae
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I simply said I wanted to leave. So we left after about 12ish hours. I had even had an epidural for the birth. We weren't doing all the nursery stuff (like the shots or the hearing test or any of that stuff) so there was no reason to wait around. Thankfully my OB approved me wanting to leave, but otherwise I'd have argued. I wasn't going to pay them massive amounts of money to force me to be somewhere I didn't want to be.

But I won't birth in a hospital again if I have the choice.
I've found if you play the "i can't afford it card" rather then the " i don't want to stay" or "i think all this crap is unnecessary" card hospitals are MUCH more likely to let you go hassle free.

Use code "DSMAMA1" for 5% off your first order.
adriannemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
Pin-Up Momma
Registered Users

I stayed two days with my first baby, I asked to leave the first day and was pressured to stay another. With my youngest I left within 24 hours.... I was so over the whole hospital thing. I had no complications and they agreed.

This baby I would like to leave within 24 hours as well. I am not a fan of the whole hospital scene.. the smells and all are just icky to me. I would much rather go home take a shower and snuggle with my new baby in MY bed
Pin-Up Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #24
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

As a postpaartum/newborn RN, it really has more to do with the drs than the hospital, at least where I work. We are just following dr's orders. If you are wanting to leave very early (24 hrs or less) I would talk to your ped and ob ahead of time to get their ok. If I have a discharge order, I discharge the patient. If I don't have a discharge order, I can't give you the baby to go home. It isn't the nurses fault. In that case I would be calling my manager, calling the drs, ect. trying to get you and the baby released. If there is a reason the dr doesn't want to release you or the baby, it isn't like i can just say "okay, you can go". I don't mean to come across as mean or anything. It just gets old having patients fighting like I am the one who is trying to run things, when I am just doing my job, and following the dr's orders (and yes, if there is an irate patient the drs will throw us under the bus and act like they don't know what is going on even if they do ). Good luck!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder at what point you're considered an inpatient? I'm thinking that if I can get in, deliver, and go home before I'm considered an inpatient I can save $500

I don't want to stay a minute longer than I have to. I had a vaginal/epidural (induced) labor with DD and the wait was just HORRID to go home. She was born close to 11pm and I couldn't leave for 36 hours afterwards -- it was torture!

I don't think they'll like me this time around when I say NO to everything...
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #26
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleysMommy View Post
I wonder at what point you're considered an inpatient? I'm thinking that if I can get in, deliver, and go home before I'm considered an inpatient I can save $500

I don't want to stay a minute longer than I have to. I had a vaginal/epidural (induced) labor with DD and the wait was just HORRID to go home. She was born close to 11pm and I couldn't leave for 36 hours afterwards -- it was torture!

I don't think they'll like me this time around when I say NO to everything...
We admit people when their water breaks or they get an epidural, so yes they are all inpatients by the time they give birth

Seriously you need to OB and ped's ok to leave early. So talk to them both prior to delivery and get it worked out, it will go much smoother that way.

-Rach
Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #27
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Yes, it will depend on your doctor. We had all of the newborn tests done, and between feeding myself, feeding Alexa, signing papers, getting all her tests done, sleeping a little, I had NO free time in the hospital, so there was no way I could have left early. And when we got home we got almost no sleep for a few days, so much to learn. I suppose with the next baby it may be different, I may just want to be home.

Anyways, I gave birth on a Monday at 10pm and left the hospital Wednesday AM. My milk was not in until Friday AM and she still only lost 7% of her body weight. The nurses didn't say anything about her needing more food.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first ~ I had a horrible vaginal birth and we were there for 3 days ~ but my dd also spend time in the NICU.

My OB told me I should plan on 4-5 days this time (second scheduled c-section) but I am hoping to be out in 3 days like the last one.
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #29
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

hi mama! i didn't read all the responses but here's my experience: i gave birth at a wonderful birth center, and your minimum stay is 4 hrs after the birth!!! Max 14 hrs (I believe the thinking is that if you need medical care beyond that point, you need to be in a hospital, so they would transfer). We had DD at 10:10 at night so we stayed over and were there for @ 12 hrs after her birth - if we'd had her during the day I'm sure we would have gone home before the first night. I LOVED it. Then you have a midwife home visit on day 3 when everything is going to hell (engorgement, exhaustion, crying baby, swollen lady bits, etc) and you wish you were still somewhere with wonderful nurses and such. That was a lifesaver!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #30
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just brought my birth plan and they were very friendly before even reading it my nurse asked how long I wanted to stay. I guess I got lucky