Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
new to this- lots of questions. benefit? point?

SO, today I was bored and after about 3 minutes of nakey time I put my 5 month old son on the toliet and made a pppssss sound.

He peed!! IT was the funniest/cutest thing ever!

I don't even know if I WANT to do EC. What are the benefits of this? Is EC potty training, but just done before the "normal" age? Do I really WANT him to be out of cute cloth diapers??

Where do I go from here? Thanks wise mamas

Advertisement

MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
arianasmommy08
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: new to this- lots of questions. benefit? point?

EC is sooo much more than just "infant potty training"! It's about communicating with your child on a deeper level then just responding to their cries. It's about listening enough to know that there are cues for hunger, cues for cuddles, and cues for having to pee or poop!

All mammals, humans included, are born with the instinct to NOT eliminate on themselves. Makes sense when you think that most newborns will fuss ans squirm when their diaper is wet or dirty, and that the second that diaper comes off, their either poop, pee or both! The air hitting their tush is a signal to let it go, basically. When they're young enough, they still try to cue us when they're going. There are more ways for babies to communicate than crying! I've seen babies that get a glazed over look before they pee, some shiver, some arch their backs... every baby is different. By letting your DS have some naked time and watching what he does vocally or physically before going you're tuning in more to him than you already are! Some people start with new newborns, but only make a "psss" or grunting sound when they see them going since supporting a tiny body and a wobbly head over a sink or a potty seems daunting. I've heard women who see their 2 week old (that has been cued every time they eliminate) squirming and crying, take their diaper off and hold them over the sink to be rewarded with a catch the second they cue to let the baby know it's ok to go! These babies are often the ones who wake up after hours of sleep completely dry b/c they're waiting until their diaper is off! If these signals they give us go unnoticed, babies get used to going in their diaper (b/c that's what we're training them to do) and stop letting us know when they have to go, and some babies don't even care when their diaper is soaked anymore!

We started at 4 months, and just hit a rough patch at 10 months from DD learning to walk. She was soo focused on her new skill that she couldn't be bothered, plus she started using all new muscles in her abdomen and that took some getting used to. So we had to base our catches on timing. Some do EC casually like us, where we don't obsess about cathcing everything, but rather praising the ones we do catch and just being prepared for misses. If you stress out too much about it, the baby picks up on that and will actually not go when you're holding them over the potty and get upset.

It just seems so much more humane, doesn't it? Not letting your pride and joy sit in his own poop and pee? And if you think of it from their POV, we spend the first 2+ years teaching them that the diaper is where you go, just to turn around and say "no, no THIS is where you go!" Wouldn't that confuse you? EC is more about our babies teaching US rather than us "training" them.
go to http://diaperfreebaby.com/ for more info!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
janelle525
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow you said it so well arianasmommy08!!! That is pretty much what I would say to a T! And I think most people who do EC would say something along those lines, it just makes sense! No one could argue the simple little fact of not letting your child sit in its own waste. Even though most people who do EC have on occasion let this happen because life gets busy and we shouldn't beat ourselves up if we're not perfect about it (which can be hard if your a Mom who wants to do everything right).

Actually for us (6mo) it has been hard because he is learning to crawl and usually when he is on the floor I let him be diaper free, but it almost always results in a wet floor. I could potty him and he won't go but then ten minutes later make a huge puddle while on his tummy. Its usually around milestones they don't want to pay attention to their elimination. I just try not to worry about it.
I know it can be a challenge to not buy all the cool cloth diapering stuff, but you can certainly have the best of both worlds, you would just use the diapers as back-up like I do and maybe for nighttime because nights are a HUGE step. I wish you the best on your journey to diaper free experiences! You don't have to be strict about it, just learn to be aware of his needs.
janelle525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

That is great info! that really helps, thanks!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
palestrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everything the mamas above said. As to what to do next, naked time is a great time to keep offering the potty and also to start to notice his cues to pee. Right after waking in the morning and after naps are also good times to get a catch, even if he wakes up with a wet diaper, he will probably go again if you put him on the potty. Once you start paying attention to the baby's cues, it is amazing how you start to get in tune with them. have fun!

(and your baby can still wear the cute dipes if you use them as backup as we do, they will just poop in them A LOT less )
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the cute diapers even more now! Since they now stay cleaner, less poo means less staining!
Oh, and now we're using mainly undies, so I had to buy some wool to cover her while we're out. And really, it's far more addicting than cloth!

I only casually EC, but now if she pees on the floor or poos, it's because I wasn't listening. So a wet floor to me is better then her sitting in a wet diaper for hours.
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
LinkiesMami
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by palestrina View Post
(and your baby can still wear the cute dipes if you use them as backup as we do, they will just poop in them A LOT less )
Totally agree with this one! I don't mind changing diapers, but who would object to wiping less poop off their baby's tushie? SOOOO much easier to plop it in the toilet and rinse out a potty! Especially once your baby gets to that squirmy wiggly rolly-polly stage!
LinkiesMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
ClothClaire
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also agree. Poop in the potty is less poop on a cute diaper and less to clean. Also, since we started to EC a lot of times we don't wear diaper covers so I can appreciate the diapers more.

DD is 10 months old and she will take my hand and lead me to the potty so she can go. We are casual EC, but I think this is a big benefit for her health and our time together.
ClothClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
angelarose
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS only pees in his super cute diapers, he poos in the pot all the time, I actually think he waits to poo in the pot. I avoid diaper staining too, so those cute diapers stay cute, also, I use my AI2s over and over before washing because when I miss a pee, I just change the insert and keep the cover.