Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Users
Someone explain this to me

Hi ladies, just wondering if any of you have had this situation. DD is 7 mo and for the past two months has been pooping in her car seat. Like she hardly poops in the potty any more. She's not really regular - only once every couple of days, and occasionally longer than that, so the fact that she seems to choose the car seat moments is just baffling to me. What is it about the car seat???? Are the car vibrations getting her system going? Does it seem like a safe place to go (although she doesn't really like the car seat). Is it protest? Get me outa here!? Is it because she's sitting and belted in and has nothing much else to do? Does she have less control over poo because she has so much less practice with it?

I'm not stressed about it; as my mom says, 'this too shall pass'. But it's gone on long enough that I wish she had words to explain it to me. And it's making me jumpy every time we go out in the car. When she starts to go a couple or more days without pooping I find myself wanting to stay home so I can make the catch. Which I'm pretty sure is silly.

Anyway, if you've got some insight, please share it with me, or I'll just chalk it up to one of those baby mysteries.

elsieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Someone explain this to me

it sounds like there's something else going on. If you're that nervous about it, and stressing about having to catch 100% of poops, then that's going to make her resistant to going on the potty. If you try just putting her on the potty, what does she do?

Is she teething? About to hit a new milestone? Those things take every ounce of a baby's concentration and their own body's signals that they have to go are temporarily ignored.

Starting at about 9 month until literally a week ago (she's 11 months now) DD has been pooping right before she wakes up from her nap. I tried everything, but when she was ready to go on the potty again, she let me know!

Just be patient and keep offering potty breaks!
~Courtney~ , casually ECing, crunchy, sewing junkie, BWing, AP SAHMama to Ariana Raen (08/31/08) and wife to Marty (06/12/08). WORKING TOWARDS A HOMEBIRTH AND TANDEM NURSING! I love to blog HERE!
arianasmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Someone explain this to me

We were doing fine with the pees until about a week or two ago when the potty pause hit full-force - she's newly crawling and has been standing up and down for some time now. But the car seat pooping starting long before these developments. She's not teething and hasn't been that I can tell. So I'm a bit baffled. I know what she's like when she doesn't want to potty. It's very clear. So I'm pretty sure it's not pressure to potty causing this. And we have had some poo catches. They've been as usual but very rare. It's just that, the second we get in the car some days, bam! there she goes again. Amazing. Anyway, I'm still .
elsieme is offline   Reply With Quote