Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
ch1984
Registered Users

Smile homemade laundry detergent for cloth diapers?

I've been wanting to start making my own laundry detergent and i just ordered my cloth diapers, i'm hoping they will be here soon. I'm just wondering if there are any recipes for detergent that won't wreck the diapers. I live in canada and we don't have fels naptha here so i'll need one that doesn't have that in it. We have the sunlight bar here but i didn't want to use it unless someone could tell me for sure that it was ok. Any recipes you have would be very helpful, thank you.

Advertisement

ch1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
rcarver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: homemade laundry detergent for cloth diapers?

Sorry, but I haven't had much success with homemade laundry detergent. I've used borax/smiple green/washing soda combinations and we get stink problems.

Last edited by rcarver; 08-05-2009 at 09:30 PM.
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
momma w
Registered Users

My Mood:

There is a long thread somewhere on diaperswappers about making your own detergent. It worked great for some mamas, and some thought it was so-so, and some had real problems with it. So I haven't decided yet if I'm brave enough to try it myself. But here are three receipes for diaper detergent that were included in that thread:

Homemade Diaper Detergent
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 cup Oxyclean Free
Combine all ingredients. Done!
use 2 tablespoons for a small load, 1/4 cup for a large load.
(more or less depending on your water quality; possibly add liquid dawn as surfactant; possibly reduce borax if rashes are a problem)

Recipe 2
1 cup washing soda (arm & hammer), 1 cup borax, 1 lemon scented Dr. Bronner's castile bar soap (any castile soap). Poster used a cheese grater & grated up the soap (very easy, took about 10 minutes) mixed it all together in a container. 1 TBSP for small load, 2 TBSP for large load.

Recipe 3
1 C Super washing soda, 1 C Borax, 1 C Oxyclean Free, 1/2 bar Dr. Bonner's soap
momma w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the 1 c. borax, 1 c. oxyclean free & 1 c. washing soda. I have used it for a few months now and it is working great for us. We have no stink. We use pf's, covers, pockets & fitteds.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma w View Post
There is a long thread somewhere on diaperswappers about making your own detergent. It worked great for some mamas, and some thought it was so-so, and some had real problems with it. So I haven't decided yet if I'm brave enough to try it myself. But here are three receipes for diaper detergent that were included in that thread:

Homemade Diaper Detergent
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 cup Oxyclean Free
Combine all ingredients. Done!
use 2 tablespoons for a small load, 1/4 cup for a large load.
(more or less depending on your water quality; possibly add liquid dawn as surfactant; possibly reduce borax if rashes are a problem)

Recipe 2
1 cup washing soda (arm & hammer), 1 cup borax, 1 lemon scented Dr. Bronner's castile bar soap (any castile soap). Poster used a cheese grater & grated up the soap (very easy, took about 10 minutes) mixed it all together in a container. 1 TBSP for small load, 2 TBSP for large load.

Recipe 3
1 C Super washing soda, 1 C Borax, 1 C Oxyclean Free, 1/2 bar Dr. Bonner's soap

I used this recipe and it worked great as far as getting the diapers clean and no stick, but my dd butt broke out. Something was obviously too abrasive. I now just use the oxyclean free and a "free" detergent I get at Costco. Good Luck Mama!
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

I have used hmld with castille soap or Octagon and I like both. I always use oxyclean in my diapers though.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been making my own recipe out of equal parts washing soda, borax, and oxiclean and have been using it with great success with my hard water, top loader, and varied stash for over a year and a half. I will warn you about using any kind of soap for a diaper detergent if you have any dipes with a stay-dry layer such as microfleece or microsuede. I experienced build-up and repelling with only one wash when I did that. I did, however, have success with that recipe when I was only washing my flats, prefolds, and all-cotton fitteds.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
srkobus
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

fyi try out the borox before u mix up a bunch because lots of kids get rashes with it! both of my dd's break out horribly!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
ch1984
Registered Users

thanks ladies, i'll give it a try and see how it goes.
ch1984 is offline   Reply With Quote