Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

david doesnt like to color??

is this wierd???
he just wont sit and color workbooks. he will scribble a little and then he quits. he doenst want to do it . is this normal?/ anyone else??
any advice?? afraid he wont do his HW like this and you know that you gotta color like crazy comes kinder. thanks

Advertisement

SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: david doesnt like to color??

I personally am not a huge fan of workbooks. I don't think you *have to* color a certain way in kinder. He still has a way to go before kinder right??? He's only turning 4 this spring right???

Does he have any fine motor delays??? Like trouble grasping onto a crayon,pen pencil? If he does that could be why he doesn't like to color, it could be hard for him....Or maybe he's just not interested. Try letting him use different mediums like paint,chalk, pens, dry earse pens, etc....
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
chelle0518
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Joshua didn't like coloring when he was littler either. He fine motor skills were crappy. I think, in general, it's a boy thing. His PreK teacher, who has tons of experience said most of her boys didn't get it until 5-6. This year, in K, Joshie has started coloring really well, but still doesn't want to sit and color in a coloring book or anything, he'd rather write letters. They're all different, and David isn't weird!!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
driftymaer
Registered Users
seller

My Aeddon is like that too. He just turned 5 last Sept. and it's still hit and miss with him. Deme on the other hand loves to color and scribble (on anything). I think it's a boy thing too - my friend and I were talking about this the other day. Her dd loves to color but her son isn't too interested either. I think it's a boy thing. He'll get it eventually when he's ready. On the other hand if I give him some glue r paper and scissors and tape etc. he'll sit for an hour making something and usually it will have something drawn on it too.
driftymaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
tommyzmommy
Registered Users
seller

I was just reading about how some children learn through audio, others through sight and others physically, as in they have to move around to really learn. Workbooks and coloring books are challenging for boys who want to be on the move. I'd recommend putting it at a level he could stand and work or just put the books away for awhile. DS1's teacher at his 3-day school said he doesn't like to do workpages and would rather play, I almost laughed and thought, "who wouldn't rather play?!" So, give it some time. I'm going to get some letters and numbers my son can hold and trace with his finger since he's not remembering what he's tracing on paper. He still doesn't color but he likes to paint, especially finger paint with anything glue-like, so I recommend it as well. At 5, he's just starting to draw as is his little brother but they don't work at it for longer than 5 minutes. HTH to hear about another set of boys.
tommyzmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

ahh ok thanks
he does grasp well but his coloring is just some scribbles and call it a day.
he is the type that can sit still though LOL
thanks girls . glad to hear this phew. one less thing to worry about LOL
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Definitely a boy thing - boys often have some trouble with fine motor skills and handwriting when they start school b/c they never had the patience to color/draw, etc...he will catch up, though...I would suggest doing some other fine motor skill tasks though, if you are worried, like picking up stuff with clothespins, sorting beads/buttons, anything that requires him to use his fingers...I wouldn't worry about a thing!