Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #31
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Re: Only 2 carseats make consumers cut.

The crash test I saw showed the companion installed without the base, so it rebounded as any other infant seat would when it doesn't have an anti-rebound feature. Most people don't realize an infant seat without that feature is supposed to rebound, so CR says "Look how much the car seat comes off the vehicle seat!!" (which is what it is SUPPOSED to do) and people think that is horrible and that children will be harmed from it.. *shakes her head*

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #32
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I must not have seen that one.

Yal, making a big deal out of rebounding when they are SUPPOSE to do that.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #33
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok we will keep our comapnion, and I'm still going to use it with the base and anti-rebound bar. I cannot get a good tight fit without a base, especially with leather seats.
So now the question is use the latch or not? Opinions?
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #34
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed with boys View Post
Ok we will keep our comapnion, and I'm still going to use it with the base and anti-rebound bar. I cannot get a good tight fit without a base, especially with leather seats.
So now the question is use the latch or not? Opinions?
I've had only good experiences with LATCH. I recently had to install my snugride base with a seatbelt because the rental didn't have latch in the middle and found it harder to get a tight install... this may not be true with all car seats and all vehicles though.

That being said, you should use whichever method gives you a better install *in your car* and is most consistent in being able to get it installed properly the easiest. You also need to consider the seating position the car seat will be in and if it is latch equipped. Some cars have latch connectors but they can only be used for the outboard positions.

And something I noticed about the article is how they say "car seat experts" instead of "certified car seat technicians." There is a big difference in that!
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #35
Dsunny1
Registered Users

There is also been much discussion on my CPS boards about that strange recommendation to not use LATCH. Of course, in true Consumer Reports fashion, they are quick to say Don't use LATCH or don't use this particular seat, but won't say Why. So, we don't know if the LATCH loosened, or they couldn't get it tight enough on their bench seat they used for testing, or what exactly constituted "failure" in their opinion. If you can install well with LATCH then I feel completly confident using it, if a seatbelt gets a better, tighter install in your car, use it instead. I will continue to use LATCH in my vehicle with no fear of failure, and when I install seats for others, I almost always try with LATCH if they have it first, before trying to install with a seatbelt.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #36
odenata
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsunny1 View Post
There is also been much discussion on my CPS boards about that strange recommendation to not use LATCH. Of course, in true Consumer Reports fashion, they are quick to say Don't use LATCH or don't use this particular seat, but won't say Why. So, we don't know if the LATCH loosened, or they couldn't get it tight enough on their bench seat they used for testing, or what exactly constituted "failure" in their opinion. If you can install well with LATCH then I feel completly confident using it, if a seatbelt gets a better, tighter install in your car, use it instead. I will continue to use LATCH in my vehicle with no fear of failure, and when I install seats for others, I almost always try with LATCH if they have it first, before trying to install with a seatbelt.
I've seen a study somewhere else (can't remember where now - anyone know?) that also showed LATCH to be less reliable than the seatbelt, so I've always been leary of it. We don't have it in our car, so it's not a big issue right now, but what do people think? Is LATCH really better?
odenata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #37
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I am totally not a tech, just a mom lol.

I feel safer with LATCH then with the seatbelt. In my mind, if the seat belt fails, that is the only latched point holding the whole carseat down, and then it could be a projectile w/in the car. If LATCH fails, it'd likely be one side and not both (or user error maybe you got one out of two clicked on correctly) so it won't function the way it should but it would safer then completely coming loose, it would only be loose on one side. We are tethered rear-facing right now (Britax) so chances are if anything "fails" it would be 1 out of 3 instead of 1 out of 1 (seatbelt install w.no tether).

Does that make any sense or am I a total freak? I'm just weird, I know.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #38
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How does an anti-rebound bar work? Is it spring loaded or something? Does it only come with infant carrier seats, or does it also come with convertables?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #39
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While there are car seat techs here, I have a question too. When I install my seat with a seatbelt, the seat always seems to be tilted up slightly on the side where the door is. (not the side where the seatbelt latches) It always looks unsafe, and happens the tighter its installed. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #40
Dsunny1
Registered Users

OK, I understand your point about the Latch Ravon, I don't have any crash test experience (never been present to see one) so I am not sure what would really happen. THe seatbelt is tested to hold much more weight then a LATCH strap will as it has to restrain a 200lb man and a 10lb infant in a 15lb infant seat.. I feel comfortable using whichever method gets a tighter install.
The rebound Foot on the companion and fisher price safe voyage infant bases looks like a loop that rests against the vehicle seat. It prevents movement toward the back of the vehicle in a frontal crash.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family
All the infant seats in Europe have these, but only a few in the U.S. do.
Britax and Radian convertibles also allow for tethering rearfacing, this is done with a special tether strap you wrap around the base of your front vehicle seat and attach the tether strap to. These seats have specially designed top tether straps that are made to withstand the crash forces a rearfacing tether would encounter and that is why you can't do this with all convertibles.
A little tilt in the car seat is ok, if it gets too tilted, and you don't want to reinstall it every once in a while, you can use a locking clip instead of locking the seatbelt. That will fix the problem. We often use locking clips on infant seat bases if the car does not have Latch, to prevent this tilting that happens as the seatbelt continues to ratchet tighter.