Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #41
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Only 2 carseats make consumers cut.

Anyone have any thoughts on the euro brands like the maxi-cosi? Are euro seats really safer?

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #42
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the euro brands like the maxi-cosi? Are euro seats really safer?
The report says they are.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...7_seats_ov.htm

I'm having some trouble understanding how a nonprofit organization can be accused of creating a controversial report only for the money. Any other workers in nonprofit places find this hard to understand as well?

Last edited by momof4; 01-07-2007 at 06:38 AM.
momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #43
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Non profit for the company status doesn't mean that the people working there (CEO on down) don't get paid a salary. "Administrative costs" are allowed to eat up a lot. Also, they need to make money to stay in business just like a for profit business does.
Quote:
A term describing the Internal Revenue Service's designation of an organization whose income is not used for the benefit or private gain of stockholders, directors, or any other persons with an interest in the company. A nonprofit organization's income must be used solely to support its operations and stated purpose.
"Operations" includes salaries, btw.

Quote:
Because Consumers Union accepts no advertising dollars, it stays afloat by charging customers for its data
http://www.abebooks.com/docs/Company...ks-13Aug06.pdf

Here's a great blog by junkscience detailing other scare tactic things that Consumer Reports has put out, along with why they were unnecessary or unneeded. http://www.junkscience.com/consumer/consumer_index.html

Info about subscription-driven revenue and how "fresh blood" or a large amount of subscribers is necessary to break even: http://www.techsoup.org/learningcent...g/page5228.cfm
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #44
childress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Of the subject areas I'm knowledgeable on, CR has 'blown it' more often than not, especially on thier quick bubble-dot summaries. I don't consider their advice 'expert' but instead use their complete stories as a start for areas I know little about.
childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #45
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Theres a huge difference in a anti-rebound bar and an anti-rebound foot...The bar goes along the seat back the seat is on....the rebound foot goes from the top (head) of the carseat to the floor.....look up the Britax cosy tot and it will show you.
Jackie
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #46
reliv4myhealth
Registered Users
seller

Upon talking to a carseat tech at Sunshine Kids regarding their Radian (who, by the way, did not bash CR at all and is also not worried when they decide to test the Radians with other convertable styles) said the biggest thing to remember about the Consumer Reports testing is that they INCREASED the standards! And the way he put it, 5mph increase on frontal crash with a 22 lb child is like a 38% load increase (don't qoute me on the numbers), so YEAH several seats would be EXPECTED to fail the testing as they weren't designed to pass those higher test standards. And add a side-impact test, and of course seats "could" fly off bases! Whether or not their tactics are "fair", the hope is that the government will increase the testing standards and the carseat companies will have to step up to the plate! As for me, I'm switching my baby from his infant carseat (which wasn't tested) to the Sunshine Kids Radian as I feel fully confident it is a much safer alternative in the event we are involved in a 35mph frontal or 38mph side impact crash. (By the way, Radians have an internal steel frame and other safety features and after an extensive discussion with the tech I personally opted for that over the Britax Marathon. I do feel a rear facing and tethered Marathon would also be much safer option in a higher impact crash than an infant seat used with the base.)

Stephanie
reliv4myhealth is offline   Reply With Quote