View Poll Results: Have you heard of /or experienced VCI (velamentous cord insertion)??
No, what is that?!?!? 29 58.00%
Yes, I have heard of it, but never had it nor has anybody I know had it. 8 16.00%
Yes, I had a VCI during 1 pregnancy. 9 18.00%
Yes, I had a VCI w/more than 1 pregnancy. 0 0%
Yes, a friend or family member has had a VCI during 1 pregnancy. 3 6.00%
Yes, a friend or family member has had a VCI during more than 1 pregnancy. 0 0%
Other, because it seems we always need an other! LOL 2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Velamentous Cord Insertion (VCI)... Have you heard of it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's_Momma~ View Post
I work in L&D so I know what it is, but have never seen it myself. The midwife who delivered my second child (homebirth) told me that she had one case of that, along with a case of a true knot in the cord. Both are very rare, and the highest chance for complications is due to medical interventions.
My midwife said that there was no poor outcome as a result (this was a homebirth that was very hands off)

Occurrence is like a fraction of a percentage of pregnancies. I definitely would not worry about it happening a second time.
I have been told that my hands off homebirth potentially saved my DD's life due to the VCI. We were going back & forth from a homebirth to a hospital borth & back again due to us having to pay OOP for the homebirth VS. a $20 copay w/insurance and being hit w/a HUGE, unexpected medical bill for DD#2 when I was a month away from my due date w/#3.

A week before my due date, DH told me to call the homebirth midwife back & to just have the homebirth. The hospital midwife was giving me all kinds of grief about wanting a low key, hands off birth... it was terrible!! Every week they would throw something else at me & threaten that the hospital pediatrician may refuse to release my baby w/out every known intervention they wanted to use. DH finally said enough, so we went w/the homebirth & paid OOP.

It was after DD #3 was born that I discovered all the risks associated w/the VCI. The hospital midwife had been pressuring me for an induction starting at 37 weeks... I went to 42 weeks & 1 day though w/my homebirth MW. Anyway, labor was pretty sticky to say the least... big baby was seriously wedged in there... couldn't/wouldn't turn around, so she was born posterior... it was insane!!

My MW had to hold my cervix open in the end because of the baby's position & it would not allow her head to keep pressure on my cervix so I would stay dilated on my own... as soon as the MW let go of my cervix it went from a 10 to a 4!! That went on for 2 days, until we finally just went for the gold & I pushed while my MW assisted my cervix (oh yes, it hurt just like it sounds!!!) ... anyway, everyone said that there is NO WAY the hospital MW would have let me labor like that... it would have been a definite c-section, which has a HUGE risk for death of my uborn baby in utero because of the risk of the cord being cut accidentally because they don't realize there was a VCI. I am so grateful God kept DD safe... I want to cry when I think of what ** could ** have happened.

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the input so far, mamas... anyone else??
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyn4wisechix View Post
Did it cause complications for you??
Yes we had velamentous insertion as well as vasa previa. The two combined is very scary. I had my typical gender u/s at 20 weeks which is when we found it and continued to have u/s every 2 weeks until she was born at 37 weeks. I was on strict bedrest as soon as they found the VCI and we didn't find the vasa previa until she was born and almost didn't make it with us.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
Yes we had velamentous insertion as well as vasa previa. The two combined is very scary. I had my typical gender u/s at 20 weeks which is when we found it and continued to have u/s every 2 weeks until she was born at 37 weeks. I was on strict bedrest as soon as they found the VCI and we didn't find the vasa previa until she was born and almost didn't make it with us.
mama, I am so glad she made it!!! I just read about what vasa previa is... how scary!! I also read they say on one site that VCI happens in 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 pregnancies?? HOW can that be?? My doctor, midwife, & other health professionals said the stats are more like 1 in 1500 or less... anyway, vasa previa is even scarier than VCI & to think, I never heard of that either?!?!?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I had never heard of either before this pregnancy. Here is our story.

At 20 weeks we went in for our gender/growth scan. We were aready seeing the neonatologist due to having problems with a previous pregnancy. This is when we found out that we had a velamentous insertion of the cord. They didn't tell us a whole lot else till our doc appt couple days later. Of course being curious we started googling. That was scary enough!

We had our doc appt few days later when my OB told me that the cord was not inserted into the center of the placenta and that is was actually inserted towards the bottom by my cervix. She also said that the vessels that should be inside the cord 2 of them are presenting on the outside of the cord and all are inserted separately into the placenta. She explained vasa previa to me and said we will monitor closely.

We had u/s every 2 weeks to see if we could see where the vessel were and see if they crossed the cervix or into the bag of water.

At 35 week u/s we showed no growth from the previous u/s. Again at 37 weeks we had no growth again and extremely low amniotic fluid. We were told to head to labor and delivery cause we were having a baby. They induced and needed me to have an epi in case of a emergency csection.

It was when I was fully dilated and could feel her coming that we had more blood than we should have. A vessel did indeed cross the cervix and broke. Thankfully she was right there and with a grunt (literally) out came her whole body. All 4lbs of her.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyn4wisechix View Post
mama, I am so glad she made it!!! I just read about what vasa previa is... how scary!! I also read they say on one site that VCI happens in 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 pregnancies?? HOW can that be?? My doctor, midwife, & other health professionals said the stats are more like 1 in 1500 or less... anyway, vasa previa is even scarier than VCI & to think, I never heard of that either?!?!?
I don't think it is very common. When I delivered my OB said she had never seen anything like it since becoming an OB. Her hubby was also an OB and she called him in to check out my placenta as well.

The neonatologist said it was very uncommon as well.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I had never heard of either before this pregnancy. Here is our story.

At 20 weeks we went in for our gender/growth scan. We were aready seeing the neonatologist due to having problems with a previous pregnancy. This is when we found out that we had a velamentous insertion of the cord. They didn't tell us a whole lot else till our doc appt couple days later. Of course being curious we started googling. That was scary enough!

We had our doc appt few days later when my OB told me that the cord was not inserted into the center of the placenta and that is was actually inserted towards the bottom by my cervix. She also said that the vessels that should be inside the cord 2 of them are presenting on the outside of the cord and all are inserted separately into the placenta. She explained vasa previa to me and said we will monitor closely.

We had u/s every 2 weeks to see if we could see where the vessel were and see if they crossed the cervix or into the bag of water.

At 35 week u/s we showed no growth from the previous u/s. Again at 37 weeks we had no growth again and extremely low amniotic fluid. We were told to head to labor and delivery cause we were having a baby. They induced and needed me to have an epi in case of a emergency csection.

It was when I was fully dilated and could feel her coming that we had more blood than we should have. A vessel did indeed cross the cervix and broke. Thankfully she was right there and with a grunt (literally) out came her whole body. All 4lbs of her.
WOW, that's an amazing story mama!! What a blessing & gift your DD is (all babies are, of course, & when you go through something like that it reminds you of that all the more)... things like that make you truly realize how amazing having a baby is... & just how precious life truly is!! I still cry when I think of what **could** have happened (& very well probably would have, had the birth circumstances been different) to my DD#3 & how God had it all in His hands. Again, what a truly amazing story you have to tell... thank you for sharing!!

Oh, & what a peanut she was!!! I guess my babies might have weighed 4 lbs at some point... like @ conception !! LOL
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
eliz244
Registered Users

I had vci with my first dd (2weeks 3 days). We had no idea until I delivered the placenta and my ob said that he was "really glad she was born today". He showed us the "hair like" piece that was attaching her cord to the placenta. It was frightening. Needless to say when we read about it later we are so thankful for our little miracle!
eliz244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz244 View Post
I had vci with my first dd (2weeks 3 days). We had no idea until I delivered the placenta and my ob said that he was "really glad she was born today". He showed us the "hair like" piece that was attaching her cord to the placenta. It was frightening. Needless to say when we read about it later we are so thankful for our little miracle!
WOW... my DD's cord was super thick like my other 2 DD's, but attached in the wrong place... I am so happy you had a good outcome!! Congrats on your new little bundle!!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
SazBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thankfully she was right there and with a grunt (literally) out came her whole body. All 4lbs of her.
That sounds a lot like our little peanut from a VCI! Only 4lbs 11oz! How tiny and precious they are like that! I was relieved that dd was healthy and could home at that tiny weight!

I'm surprised to see that some mamas actually had the VCI diagnosed during pregnancy- I thought it was pretty rare to get that advanced warning, but thank goodness for the ones who did!

I had the typical ultrasound exams at the early stage and again at 20 weeks, and we actually had another one around 26 weeks I think, to monitor a fibroid, and no one (not the dr or the highly skilled u/s tech!) picked up on anything abnormal, and all along, our measurements for growth and development were right on the mark for her age! We were totally blown away when she came out so small! I don't know that we'd have been able to do anything differently to affect the outcome if we had known in advance, but I'm sure it would have caused a lot of stress and anxiety ahead of time instead of having a positive attitude and a good natural birth experience! I would have *died* if they told me I had to have an epi... Although I certainly didn't want to risk dd's life over it!

So glad to hear that so far everyone has come out of this ok, especially the vasa previa case- I found info on that when I was researching VCI following dd's birth, and it just makes VCI exponentially more frightening!!

Last edited by SazBaby; 08-13-2009 at 03:21 PM.
SazBaby is offline   Reply With Quote