Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

What happens when I can't take care of my child any more?

My son is 5 1/2 and almost 55lbs. I am 5'2 and weigh 110 lbs. There is a point coming in the very close future where there will be no way I can care for him.

He can crawl but not walk and has no understanding of communication. I have to lift him into his high chair, lift him into the car, carry him up and down stairs, and the very hardest one for me - lift him into and out of the bath tub?

What do I do?!?! I don't even know who to ask this question to. I have asked his pediatrician and he kinda just shrugs his shoulders. All of the moms I know who have children like this have nurses in there home helping them! Our insurance wont pay for one and we cant afford one.

Someone please help! I don't know what to do. I am in CONSTANT pain from carrying him every where and he is only getting bigger. In the past he broke two of my ribs because he flails around so much when you are carrying him. I have other children also that I need to be able to care for - I just don't know what to do

Advertisement

and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
AnneP
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What happens when I can't take care of my child any more?

File for Social Security Disability for him. I don't know what his disability is, but it sounds like if he's 5 and not yet walking, he will certainly qualify. If he is found to be disabled, you will get assistance from the government. It doesn't matter how much money you make, if he is disabled, he is entitled to help from the government.
If you do apply, I would recommend a lawyer. They will take 1/3 of back payments, but they will get it approved much faster.
AnneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneP View Post
File for Social Security Disability for him. I don't know what his disability is, but it sounds like if he's 5 and not yet walking, he will certainly qualify. If he is found to be disabled, you will get assistance from the government. It doesn't matter how much money you make, if he is disabled, he is entitled to help from the government.
If you do apply, I would recommend a lawyer. They will take 1/3 of back payments, but they will get it approved much faster.
We do get SSI for him, we get $61.00 a month.
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Us4&AngelCorey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

omg mama I'm so so sorry your post made me and I can feel your concern. The pp seemed to have some great ideas .

due January 26
Us4&AngelCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
mommaof3

Formerly: Creatively Ewe~ DO NOT FSOT~ ADMIN

My Mood:

Do you have a service coordinator? We have a program here called Personal Care Services, they are trained to help with these types of things, do basically help do daily things like grooming and toileting your child.

I would contact the state and tell them this. Idaho also offers families a "budget" to buy things for special needs. For my 4 year old with Autism we get different types of swings once a year. Our program is through "Children and Family Services"

I found this:

Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services
Street: 1890 East 40th Street
Cleveland, oh 44103-3557
Phone: (216) 432-1839

I would call them, tell them what you have going on and they should be able to help. Does he not get SSI or some other form of Special Needs insurance? We have a Katie Beckette program here. I would look into those types of services.

Cristi, Creatively Ewe - Stocking at Bitty Fluff and on my HC Creator of the Norway Romper, Belle Romper, Jack and Jill Sweaters!
mommaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does your child have a wheelchair- or even a stroller push chair?
Also- if you get SSI then he should be on medicaid- you need to get him seen by a Physical Therapist so that they can get him equipment he would need- such as a lift. You can also talkto them about helping out to get an modified vehicle.
If he isn't able to move a wheelchair on his own- I suggest getting a stroller push chair- such as the Jazz EAsY- becuase you can get two bases (one stroller and one high low).
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

http://www.nichcy.org/Pages/StateSpe....aspx?State=OH

This website has phone numbers of many agencies and If you call them and tell them what is going on, I bet even if they can't help you they will know who can.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
ForeverYoung
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have answers Mama, but I do have I hope/pray you find the answers that will work for your family. Many, many
Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you so much for your quick and helpfull responses! I knew I could count on my DS momma's for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3 View Post
Do you have a service coordinator? We have a program here called Personal Care Services, they are trained to help with these types of things, do basically help do daily things like grooming and toileting your child.

I would contact the state and tell them this. Idaho also offers families a "budget" to buy things for special needs. For my 4 year old with Autism we get different types of swings once a year. Our program is through "Children and Family Services"

I found this:

Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services
Street: 1890 East 40th Street
Cleveland, oh 44103-3557
Phone: (216) 432-1839

I would call them, tell them what you have going on and they should be able to help. Does he not get SSI or some other form of Special Needs insurance? We have a Katie Beckette program here. I would look into those types of services.
We do have a service coordinator. She came to our house and saw Noah. She helped get us signed up for a program that sounds like what you are talking about. We get $800 a year to use. We mostly use it for respite services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyAndCheyMommy View Post
Does your child have a wheelchair- or even a stroller push chair?
Also- if you get SSI then he should be on medicaid- you need to get him seen by a Physical Therapist so that they can get him equipment he would need- such as a lift. You can also talkto them about helping out to get an modified vehicle.
If he isn't able to move a wheelchair on his own- I suggest getting a stroller push chair- such as the Jazz EAsY- becuase you can get two bases (one stroller and one high low).
Because he can walk with his walker (although he can't stear it since he is 85% blind) we can not get a wheelchair or stroller for him (payed for by insurance). Luckily he still fits in most commerical strollers so we use one of those (all though I still have to lift him into it which is a HUGE part of the problem).

We can not get any type of medicaid for him because we were told our income is to high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylaeomommy View Post
http://www.nichcy.org/Pages/StateSpe....aspx?State=OH

This website has phone numbers of many agencies and If you call them and tell them what is going on, I bet even if they can't help you they will know who can.

Thank you I will try to make a few calls this afternoon!
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he is on SSI then he qualifys for the Waiver program- wich means that he qualifies for medicaid. You need to call your caseworker back....
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote