Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
sienna
Registered Users

s/o my cosleeping post

How does a 4 month old find the boob to latch on in the dark, in bed at night?

can someone please spell this out for me?

I'm going to try cosleeping and nursing tonite (i usually just get up to nurse and dd is in a bassinette) but i'm getting no sleep....but in the past when i tried cosleeping latching on was just a scream fest....

dd is 4 months...

s

Advertisement

sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o my cosleeping post

Well, we've co-slept and breastfed from day one so I speak from experience here! LOL

At 4 months old DD didn't find the breast and latch on by herself. When she would stir it would wake me up enough to lift up my shirt and get her latched on then I would fall back asleep while she nursed. She usually turned her head away from the breast when she was done and neither of us had to fully wake up. Now at 9 months old I still have to help her a little but she can usually make it to the breast and latch on on her own.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

When I was nursing my youngest, I started cosleeping/nursing while sleeping at 2 weeks old after his pedi told me to cuz I had gotten no sleep in the 2 weeks. I really never did wake up after a while of doing it, it sort of became so automatic that it was as if he latched w/out help-now, when he got older he would latch himself, and if my back was to him, he would hit my back til I rolled over!
Now that I am ff the fosterbabies and cosleeping, there are nights that I don't remember waking up to feed, but there is an empty bottle on the nightstand. I start out the night w/a fixed very cold bottle on the nightstand, that way it is room temp when the baby is ready for a bottle. I always feed the formula at room temp just cuz then the baby won't demand a warm bottle when I have no access to a way to heat it and I really don't want to warm a bottle in a micro. I find room temp is easiest for me cuz I can just have the bottle of water and the dry powder-mix and serve. I say go for it, you will both get better sleep and it will work out just great!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by presleycaedmon View Post
Well, we've co-slept and breastfed from day one so I speak from experience here! LOL

At 4 months old DD didn't find the breast and latch on by herself. When she would stir it would wake me up enough to lift up my shirt and get her latched on then I would fall back asleep while she nursed. She usually turned her head away from the breast when she was done and neither of us had to fully wake up. Now at 9 months old I still have to help her a little but she can usually make it to the breast and latch on on her own.
Same here
adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by presleycaedmon View Post

Yup. Except I quit wearing a shirt to save a step.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Yup. Except I quit wearing a shirt to save a step.
me too, the shirt is over rated
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

We are bottlefeeding now but at that age and up until 6 months...I always latched my daughter on to me. I did not sleep and nurse. When she woke up in the middle of the night. I sat up in bed and breastfed her. After she was done...I changed her and then we went back to bed. Good luck!!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumsmom View Post
me too, the shirt is over rated
You guys are lucky!! I have a "twiddler" so I have to keep a shirt on or he thinks he has twiddle whatever side he isn't nursing on...drives me nuts

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
You guys are lucky!! I have a "twiddler" so I have to keep a shirt on or he thinks he has twiddle whatever side he isn't nursing on...drives me nuts
LOL...I have a part time twiddler. She has figured out in the AM that if she does that I'll wake up. She grins ear to ear in triumph when she accomplishes her twiddle mission. She doesn't do it at night though, only in the morning.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Same here. Also if there's no shirt, he will nurse and nurse and nurse and nurse. With the shirt, there's a little barrier, it's nice.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote