Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
wwyd regarding weight gain and jaundice?

So Emmaleigh was born friday and when we were released she was 7 lbs 14 oz. She was born at 8 lbs 10 oz.
Well I just weighed her this afternoon and she was wiggling a little on the scale but it teetered between 7 lbs 13 oz and 7 lbs 13.5 oz which means she hasn't gained anything in 4 days (they didn't weigh her on Sunday before I was released, but she was 7 lbs 14 oz Saturday night at the hospital).
The other day she wanted to nurse all the time. How could she not have gained anything since birth?
Also when we left the hospital she wasn't jaundiced but now she is, and I know its normal but I wonder if with her not gaining weight and being jaundiced if I should give her like an ounce of formula after nursing her just until her jaundice improves?
We go see the pediatrician tomorrow anyhow. They didn't test her level in the hospital via blood test, they just scanned her forehead with some contraption so I'm sure that isn't very accurate anyhow.

So wwyd? My nipples are killing me from nursing as it is. It hurts to latch her on and its hard to check her bottom lip because my breast is large and when I try to move it to check the latch, it sometimes makes her pop off anyhow. My left nipple has a sore on it and it kills when I put a nursing pad on. My other one just kills when she latches on I want to grip the chair I am sitting in!
I am at a loss here.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: wwyd regarding weight gain and jaundice?

was it the same scale? If not then disgard it
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

No its not but mine is a digital baby scale.

She also just wanted to nurse and when I latched her on, I burst into tears because it hurt so bad. What on earth is going on?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd try to find time to pump 3-5x/day and feed her that after nursing. Both my babies had jaundice and were slow gainers at the start. It is very difficult to get a full feed when they are so sleepy, so you have to keep waking them up with diaper changes etc. Try to use breast compression to keep the swallowing up.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

yup, different scale, could be off

and she could have lost more like the day after you left the hospital and then gained some back and you wouldn't know..

how are her wet/dirty diapers? i would look at that for now
Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

oh, and get an appt with an LC to help you with latch etc. i needed more help with my 2nd than my first - it hurt so bad! within a couple days of seeing the LC things were MUCH better
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pumping would be out because right now she nurses like ALL the time. I'm the human pacifier right now!

Her diapers are fine. We are finally done with meconium poops and into the real thing. Its sorta spinach colored mixed with s few little seeds and sometimes a little yellow. So I guess its still in the transition phase. You can definitely hear her going. It grosses dh out lol its like a rocket in her pants. I think so far today sh pooped 3 times? I'm assuming there was pee in each of those and then she had an additional maybe 2 to 3 wets?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Mom24Babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is your milk in? It could be that she lost a little more weight after you went home, then she just started to gain.
I'm a consultant for The All Natural Face! Enter Consultant # 2107
Mom24Babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
mandyhoward
Registered Users

They want babies to be back at birth weight at 2 weeks, so you are WELL within that guideline. My ds (who was also jaundiced) didn't really start gaining until day 5 or 6.

For the jaundice, just sit her in front of a sunny window for a few minutes a few times a day or take her outside. That should help.

Also, NBs just nurse all the time. She's really working on getting your milk in and ramping up your supply. I would not give any bottles at this point. I had big cracks in one of my nipples (I called it the grand canyon) and I would want to scream every time he latched on. To help it heal, I used loads of lanolin and switched up his positioning (I was nursing him in cross cradle and switched to the football hold, which put pressure on a different area of my nipple and reduced the pain).

And I agree with the PP about getting together with an LC. Sores are often due to bad latching.

You're doing great!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah. I had her friday and my milk was in Sunday! I am dousing myself in lanolin! I also do switch up the positions because if I didn't, I'd die lol