Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
JessieV
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much are you getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinatural View Post
I have trouble with this too, am thinking about switching to a slower flow bottle. I currently use the playtex drop ins but even the slow flow nipple on them seems to fast.
I use those same bottles too and I agree, even the slow flow seems fast sometimes. It kinda depends on the nipple, if you buy a two pack of slow flows, one might actually be slow and they other will drip drip drip. It used to gag DS but I guess he got used to it. I also bought some Thicken Up liquid thickener that they used at daycare for a while so the milk wouldn't come out too fast. He doesn't need to thicken up anymore. Switching bottles wasn't an option because he refused everything else!

Advertisement

My knit gallery My Ravelry
JessieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #32
Goinatural
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I left a Medela slow flow nipple for my mom to try with him today and she said it was a little slower.
Goinatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #33
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

my ds is 22 months and bfs 3x a day when i'm with him. he doesn't take a bottle anymore for naps when i'm away, but on the nights i work late, dh does give him breastmilk in a bottle, so that's the only reason i do still pump. i get only 1-2 oz per day, as i pump once during each day. by the end of the week i get enough for 1-2 bottles for him for those night i'm gone. my supply fluxes with his demand--- weekends when i'm home with him, i'll notice more on monday than usual, by the end of the week, my supply is pretty low.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
wobitnobby
Registered Users

When my baby was 13 months old I was pumping 4-9 oz per session, varying wildly depending on time, hydration, and how recently I'd spent a full day nursing her.

I would like to second the previous poster about the volume in a bottle that a breastfed baby needs. Childcare providers that are accustomed to formula babies don't realize that their instincts are wrong, and they will over feed your baby (undermining your ability to keep up by pumping). Since breastfed babies have less experience with bottles, they are less adept at stopping the flow and may appear to "chug" the bottle as they try to keep up with it. Give them firm guidelines to not overfeed!
full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to Anja Rose born at home 12/26/07 cautiously expecting #2 in early May 2010 while nursing my toddler 100% CD in prefolds, flats, and my own handknit wool
wobitnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #35
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I exclusively pump for my 9 mo old DS and I get 20-24 oz/day whether I pump 2 or 6 times a day.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #36
coasterofluv
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a SAHM so I dont pump that often. maybe 3 times a week. I get about 6-7 oz both breasts combined. When I pumped every day I got 8 combined easy, but I take fenugreek.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #37
coasterofluv
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobitnobby View Post
When my baby was 13 months old I was pumping 4-9 oz per session, varying wildly depending on time, hydration, and how recently I'd spent a full day nursing her.

I would like to second the previous poster about the volume in a bottle that a breastfed baby needs. Childcare providers that are accustomed to formula babies don't realize that their instincts are wrong, and they will over feed your baby (undermining your ability to keep up by pumping). Since breastfed babies have less experience with bottles, they are less adept at stopping the flow and may appear to "chug" the bottle as they try to keep up with it. Give them firm guidelines to not overfeed!
AMEN!