Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Ashlyn's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Supplementing BM?

I was wondering if anyone has had to supplement with formula? I had to start a couple weeks ago when I wasn't pumping enough at work. I was very upset about it but my DH reassured me it would be okay, he said DD has gotten 9 full months of BM and you have done a great job. (so sweet) My daycare provider was the same way, she said continue to pump and I will supplement what I need. She says every bit helps.

I continue to nurse at home at night and on weekends. I am not sure why my supply dropped all of the sudden....work has been stressful lately and busier than normal....I am guessing that is why. Anyone else have these issues? Any hope of my supply going up? I drink a cup of Mother's milk tea every morning and I have my oatmeal for breakfast too. I am scared to think what my supply would do if I didn't do these two things. Any other suggestions for increase to supply?

Advertisement

Ashlyn's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supplementing BM?

I would be concerned that they are over feeding.

Do you have time to make a freezer stash on the weekends? Pumping the other side is my freezer stash trick.

the more you supplement with formula the less you will make. scary slippery slope for me! Your LO is a bit older tho. It may be because they are into solids?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Ashlyn's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is only supplemented at daycare and that is because I am not pumping as much at work. Rarely, is she supplemented at home. I try to build the stash on the weekends with only a little success. It might offset one or two days of the next week if I am lucky.
Ashlyn's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Goinatural
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It helps me to pump on my way to work and on my way home.
Goinatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

please don't pump while you are driving. I've heard other mamas talk about doing this, but its dangerous! Maybe its because I drive a standard, but I couldn't fathom trying to pump while I drove.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
MomE2MathU
Registered Users
seller

I will eventually have to supplement. I work 24 hour shifts and pump while I'm at work. But unless my supply increases as the baby grows (does it do that?) I'll have to supplement as time goes on. Currently I pump the same amount he eats so it breaks even. I have a large freezer stash to burn through when fresh stops being enough quantity. From there we'll do formula when they run out of EBM each day. I pump every morning after his first feeding also. It makes me sad to think about adding formula. But I keep reminding myself that nursing him 100% of the time I'm home and pumping while I'm working is the best I can do so I can't beat myself up for it.
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
clothrookie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am having supply issues as well. I am exclusively pumping. We had latching issues early on and just got into this habit. She will be 8 mos in a few days. I used to be able to pump 10 oz in the morning and about 4oz 3 more times a day. Now I just barely get 8 in the am and 2 my other 3 session. It seems to have been dropping for about 1-2 mos. I tried the tea and almost puked it tasted so nasty. I just tried the Fenugreek capsules 2 days ago, now I have a blocked duct right under my nipple. Very painful. I am afraid to take it again. It did increase my milk a little bit. But at a price.

I have just been able to keep up, she takes 4- 5oz bottles a day. I end up giving her a bottle of formula every 2-3 days. All of my frozen milk turned sour so I don't have any of that. Despite all the effort to freeze it. ?????ODD.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over giving the baby formula. Just keep giving the baby what you can. Any BM that she/he gets will be wonderful for them.

Best of luck!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
JennyMay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had supply issues as well and was pumping more to try to get more milk, but I ended up just getting less and less through the weeks.. My twin DD are still getting some supply from the freezer from the girls being in the NICU for 8 weeks before coming home, but with two we are quickly running out. They are only 5 months and I guess my body just had enough or something.. It sucks but I've tried what I can to get my milk production up but have accepted it and will not beat myself up over it, nor should you.

I second the motion not to pump while driving.. I double pumped so I have no idea how anyone could actually do that...awkward along with dangerous!
Hate to get pulled over while attached to the pump
JennyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
yoga mamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to switch my then 11 month old to formula when I was hospitalized with an illness, with less than 2 hours notice. I then had to keep him on formula and off BM while I was on medications. I had a hard time getting my supply back up to match his needs when I was ready to BF again, but I found that drinking plenty of water, plenty of pumping and taking fenugreek worked for me. I tried Mother's Milk Tea as well ... it helped but not nearly as much as the fenugreek did. (A friend of mine said that one of the best things to help with BM supply is an alcolholioc drink ... I didn't try it, but I know its popular in Europe!)

Apart from that, know that whether you nurse for 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years, you are still providing your babes with the best start ... every drop helps! Good luck!
yoga mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
LizP
Registered Users

The lactation consultant at the hospital and my pediatrician both said one glass of wine or one beer would help.

I had to supplement with my first DD when I went back to work, and I am afraid I may have to with my second as well; although, I seem to have more milk this time around. At 10 weeks old she's already eating more than I can pump during the day. But, I'm able to get a little extra after her first morning feeding to add to the other pumps during the day, so I haven't had to supplement yet. I think some women just don't produce as much, and pumping is not as good as the real thing.

Do you visualize the baby latching on or look at a picture of the baby when you pump? That's supposed to help some, too.
LizP is offline   Reply With Quote