Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What kind of pump? Likes/dislikes about it?

What kind of pump do you have? What do you like/dislike about it?

I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I use it everyday at work. I don't like the fact that the zipper broke on my bag so now everyone sees what I'm carrying around. I like that I can pump straight into my Playtex nurser bottles (by using the pump adapter).

I also have an Avent Isis manual pump. I like that it's quick to put together when I'm at home. I also like that I can pump into their Avent cups.

Advertisement

jenmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Chey
Banned

My Mood:
Re: What kind of pump? Likes/dislikes about it?

I used to have a decent electric pump, cost about $100, but I loaned it out since I was done having kids and never got it back. Not that I used it anyway, I hated it and my first was on formula by 2 weeks and my second never BFed after colostrum anyway.

This baby I am determined to EBF so I got a pump, just the cheapest manual pump I could find. The First Years Manual Pump. Had a quick go with it yesterday and then again this morning. This morning I just pumped 5oz with NO difficulty. No pain (My electric one hurt) and there are only 3 parts to clean with this First Years pump. Cost $29.99 Canadian. I know in the US you can get them for under $20.

It will be perfect for the occasional pumping I will need it for.

So far so good.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Sk8ermaiden
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am EPing, so it was really important I have a very good double electric.

I read ALL the reviews I could find on other sites and especially Amazon. It was between the PISA Metro and the Freestyle, but the Freestyle allows me so much more freedom. Since I'm an EPer, it was so great to have an option that is so light and tiny. I also liked the timer and backlighting since I am always asking everyone what time it is while pumping! So I throw it in the diaper bag, and its battery is good for 3 hours of pumping.

The cons listed in the reviews were that the soft horns chafed (which I found to be true; this seems to vary based on breast shape/size. The LC I bought from threw in hard horns for free.) That two or three people had the motors burn out quickly (but Medela overnighted them new ones no questions asked and the LC said she'd lend me one at any time if mine had a problem.) And that the hands free apparatus didn't really work for larger breasts. Oh well, I'll just make my own.

For anyone who had to buy a pump in the future, I highly recommend going to a lactation consultant. Because of the retail price floor on Medelas, the LCs have waaaaay lower prices because they can buy in bulk and discount. Mine was $70 less than Amazon and $105 less than BRU.
Sk8ermaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the Ameda Purely Yours. I got it through state insurance before I went back to work. Its a lot cheaper then the PIS, and is a closed system. I wish the breast shields were bigger, because I'm not the girl that can just sit there and be miked I have to squeeze it all out and sometimes I get a little over zealous and pop the cones off!
Other then that I love it, the settings are nice, its smooth.

I recently got bigger cones from WIC to see if that helps me any, I felt stuffed in the regular size ones.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used a Medela PISA and swing and now I have a lactina. I love it. Of course they are more expensive and has to plug into an outlet (unless you buy the super duper expensive battery pack.) but I :wub it: The carrying case is rather cumbersome, I don't even use it. I got a cooler bag to keep all my parts in and just carry my lactina.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
rachelcgray
Registered Users

I have an AVENT isis iq uno. It's the single AVENT electric pump that can also be used as a manual.

I love it because it's SOOO portable! All the parts and 3 bottle fit in a lunch bag that I carry to work. It works great too. The only time I couldn't pump much DD was going through a growth spurt, and AF was trying to come back so it was a supply issue, not a pump issue. It's also very comfortable and I like that you can control the speed and rhythm to match your LO's.

I would recommend it for a part time or occasional pumper or someone who can take longer pump breaks like I can. Because it is a single, it takes me 20 minutes to pump and 5 or so to assemble, get ready and then take apart.

I was able to stay home with DD for 4.5 months before going back to work. I plan to pump 2x's/day until six months and then will go to formula for the two meals she's in daycare for.

But seriously, for a portable pump that cost right around $100, you can't go wrong!
rachelcgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Goinatural
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a PISA. Love it. I use the hospitals Medela Lactina at work and I like my PISA better cause its handier and works just as well! My LC recommends the PIS over the Freestyle-she said the suction was better.
Goinatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use an old PISA and it works great! I like that I can buy Medela accessories at BRU or Target, instead of having to order them online.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
MomE2MathU
Registered Users
seller

I have a Medela PISA. I like it. I had a regular PIS with DS1 and the Advance is better with the new let down stimulation.
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Poppymama
Registered Users

Has anyone used the Hygeia pump? I'm not sure I loved it and now I can't pump because my dog ate the hoses so frustrating. I'm wondering if I could replace the parts at Home Depot. Would that be a horrible thing to do?
Poppymama is offline   Reply With Quote