Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
MrsCurrier
Registered Users
seller

Re: What kind of pump? Likes/dislikes about it?

I used the Ameda Elite Electric at the hospital and the shields rubbed funny. The LC said they were the right size but there was this weird ridge that hurt. For the first two months I was EPing so I rented a Medela Symphony. Other than the fact that it was so expensive ($65/month + $50 for the starter kit) and so heavy (14 pounds plus the huge bullet-proof case) I loved it. I credit it with establishing my supply so well. It was silent and gentle. The shields, though they were the same size, felt like they fit me better. Then I decided to buy a PISA and of course the day I bought it my LO figured it all out! It was almost as though at 9 weeks old he thought "Oh, is *this* where the milk comes from? Now I get it!" I'm a SAHM so I can nurse him all day. I usually only pump 2-3 times a day so the PISA has been perfect--lightweight, portable, and easy to use, although I can't really compare the output because he literally started nursing the day I bought it.

Advertisement

MrsCurrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
lgarrett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an Avent Isis, and I only got it because it was originally $300 and marked to $200 on clearance at Target. I wish I would have bought a Medela, mainly because it's so easy to find extra parts for. The Avent is nice because it has the soft "petal" cups that fit into the cones, so it's more gentle than just having a hard cone. It's kind of loud, so if I'm on the phone, my mom always knows what I'm doing. That doesn't really bother me, but I wonder what other people think. I pump 3-4 times a day while at work, and BF evenings and overnight. I pumped maybe every 2-3 days during the prior 5 months, and I'm wondering if the motor is already starting to wear out. I don't remember it being so loud before.

I'm having a really hard time maintaining my supply now that I've gone back to work full time (as of August 1st), so I'm going by the hospital sometime this week to rent a really good pump and see if that makes a difference. I've already tried pretty much everything on the list of stuff to try. I've never tried another pump, so I'll post a comparison after trying the other one for a bit.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also use a Medela PISA. It is very efficient, not terribly loud, and the spare parts are easy to find.
veveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
3lilkittens
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the Medela pumps are nice, but overrated / priced. I chose the Ameda Purely Yours and it's better IMO, same quality in a sealed system with plenty of adjustments / setting options, an MUCH lower price. I bought the system without a bag for Just $130.00. I use my own cute bag for it. Can't beat the performance and quality for the price. And it's super unbelievably quiet too! If you want quiet efficient well priced pump, this is the one to go for ladies!

Last edited by 3lilkittens; 09-08-2009 at 01:31 PM.
3lilkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
lgarrett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What's a sealed system? What's the benefit of that?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
harleysmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have an ameda purely yours - which is not what i registered for, but when my MIL bought the medela off the registry, i got this one instead (so she says, i think she screwed up the order, but that's a different story). as i got it opened (another story again) i couldn't return it so used it. the motor burned out within the first month - actually on the second pump! the company sent me a new one right away, but now this one won't run off of batteries which means i have to run an electrical line from one room into the other when i pump at work - not fun.

other than that it seems to be a good pump. closed system, etc. it has a lot of parts to clean and the motor part seems kinda flimsy, but it has good suction and everything (as long as it's plugged in). all and all though i think i would have rather had my medela since i researched that and selected it purposefully, but MIL had different plans (can you tell i'm a bit bitter? she does this all the time...).
harleysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
paaschjc
Registered Users
seller

I have a medelaq PISA and and Avent ISIS DUO. I much prefer the Avent as I can totally customize the speed and the intensity of the suction to suit me. The PISA only has the two speeds of suction and a dial to adjust intensity. I lie to hold the suction for 3 seconds and you can't do that with the PISA. The soft "petal" insert on the AVENT is a nice idea but poorly implemented as they tend to fall off and milk gets stuck underneath. I just removed them and don't use them.
paaschjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #18
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've got a First Years miPump dual electric. Not sure if that's the actual name... but you get the point. I love it! It's about $80 at Target and works with the breastflow bottles, which is why I initially wanted it (and the price... we can't afford a really expensive pump! ) It's VERY comfortable and quiet! The cones are silicone and are flexible (not hard like evenflo ones)... and I've been able to pump in the car! It's wonderful!

The only thing that drives me insane about it is the flappers. You need to make sure that they don't stick every time you pump. I forgot to on one side once... so the milk didn't go into the bottle, it got backed up and went down the air tube and into the pump motor! The pump motor is shot! I bawled and was kicking myself about it for 2 weeks... just cause I forgot to check the flapper!

Had to get a whole new pump just for the motor, but I still think it was worth the $80 and having that happen rather than spending almost $300 and having it happen! And now I've got spare parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarrett View Post
What's a sealed system? What's the benefit of that?
So I'm thinking a sealed system is where it's completely closed and you don't have my situation happening!

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes

Last edited by cutebluebaby; 10-30-2009 at 08:21 AM.
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I use the Ameda Purely Yours. I like that it's cheaper than the Medela and gets just as good reviews. I am also not crazy about Medela's business practices, so I'd rather buy from the competition! I like that it's a closed system, like a hospital grade pump is, which means that though it is still sold as a personal use pump, it is safer to use it with multiple users than the PISA for example.

I also have a tip for the person who said hers doesn't work with the batteries. Try turning it upside down! Mine wasn't working with the batteries either, but then I realized that they just weren't making good contact. If I turn the pump upside-down, they contact and it works! I only use the batteries for back-up and normally use the plug though.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I originally planned on EBF so I registered for the Medela Single Electric Pump since I'd only be using it occasionaly and it got some good reviews. Unfortunately I've been unable to BF, at least so far, and I've gone through several pumps. The Single Electric works really good IMO, for such a little pump. The batteries wear out super fast; it started losing suction after only a couple uses, but it works great with the plug. The motor wasn't going to last with me pumping 6-7x per day though so my grandma got me the Medela Swing. This worked great, but I had the same issue battery wise. Sometimes I'd get creative and use both single pumps at the same time, especially for sessions where I knew I'd be able to fill two bottles (3am and 9am sessions in particular). I really wanted a double pump though, but we don't have the money.

By some super awesome luck I found a mama on here with an older PIS for trade and I scooped it up as fast as possible! It's the 2005 PIS, and has been working great for it being 4 years old. I haven't had a huge supply increase yet, but I have been able to increase by a couple ounces on average per day. I absolutely love this pump.

If I had the money I'd rent a Medela Symphony. I used it in the hospital and it was just fantastic. If I were to buy another pump I'd probably go for the Medela Freestyle or Ameda Purely Yours.

Oh, I also have the Medela Harmony that I got free from my insurance. It works good, I'm just not a manual pump fan.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote