Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What kind of pump? Likes/dislikes about it?

For DD1 I had the Medela PISA Metro Bag. I really liked it except for two things. 1. I hated that I had to be plugged into a wall. I alwasy got a phone call at work from someone asking me to find something that was just out of reach as I was pumping. 2. It was also kinda loud and people would ask me what the noise was when I was on the phone.

I bought the Freestyle for DD2 because I figured with 2 kids I needed the portability at home, and I wanted more portability in the office when I go back to work. I've only used it once or twice so far, but I think the suction is as good as teh PISA. I don't love the soft fit breast shields, but I have the hard shields from my PISA so I can use those.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my PISA. I am nursing/pumping about 30/70, so I knew I'd need a pump to last. So far I have NO complaints at all about my pump...except I'm away from home this weekend and thought I packed it...but I didn't.

GL mama!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #23
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the PIS with my first 2 kids, and it worked fine, but I wanted an actual "hands free" so my hubby got me the Freestyle for Christmas last year. I ended up selling it on FSOT because it just didn't work for me. The suction wasn't strong enough, the tubes weren't long enough, and I'm a bit too well-endowed to use the hands-free contraption that came with it.

I ended up buying a newer PISA off craigslist, and it's great. I have the backpack one and I love that I can use it with the wall plug, the battery pack, or the car adapter depending on my needs at the time. I pump in 3 different places during the day (at home, at work, and in the car), so I needed something very portable.

To solve my hands-free issue, I just cut holes in the nipple area of an old nursing bra :-)
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I EP'd with my first for 3.5mos and then got him to breast, although only two-three times/day. I initially started with a Medela Symphony and I just hated that pump. I did not respond to it, and I almost gave up. I switched at 3mos to an Avent ISIS Duo and loved it. I could get more milk in less time than I could with the hospital grade Symphony. I used that pump 6-8 times/day, 7 days/wk for 18mos.
When I found out I was pregnant with this baby, I decided to buy another one since my old one had put in so much work and I didn't want to risk it dying and not having a pump (and I found an awesome deal on a new one on CL). I love the variable suction, I love that it comes with a manual pump (that's what I use at night right now), and I like the nice bag that it all goes in. It looks like a soft briefcase or something so no one knows what I'm carrying in to my office. I also like pumping into the Via cups; they are great for milk storage.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #25
Carolina Kel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Another Ameda heretic here.

I've been an EP'er since day one (8 months going strong!) because DS was a NICU baby. While I was in L&D, I got stuck with a Medela Classic pump to use that worked well. When I went to the NICU to pump, they had a Symphony and a Lactina and neither worked at all for me - they couldn't get anything out!) So I used my Ameda PY instead of the ones the hospital had, and I've had no regrets! My supply has been great and I credit my pump for helping establish that.

I love the fact the the PY is light and easy to carry. I do a lot of traveling with the LO, and I can fit my pump, 2 complete setups (horns & bottles) in a soft-side lunchbag and I'm good to go. I also like the closed system aspect of Ameda pumps - no moldy tubing or having milk back up into the motor. The other thing that I like is the fact that all of the pumping parts break down into components for easier cleaning which is important for me because I am a donor milk mama on Milk Share.

Ameda is a good value - you can start off with a good pump and minimal accessories by buying the Lansinoh purple pump, or you can add more stuff by going with the Ameda PY line. You can't get the same sort of deal by using the Medela line. And as a previous poster mentioned, I have a problem with their extensive marketing in the hospitals... my LC hadn't heard of Ameda and was amazed at my pump!
Be your friend's true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter with laughter.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kel View Post

I've been an EP'er since day one (8 months going strong!) because DS was a NICU baby. While I was in L&D, I got stuck with a Medela Classic pump to use that worked well. When I went to the NICU to pump, they had a Symphony and a Lactina and neither worked at all for me - they couldn't get anything out!) So I used my Ameda PY instead of the ones the hospital had, and I've had no regrets! My supply has been great and I credit my pump for helping establish that.

I love the fact the the PY is light and easy to carry. I do a lot of traveling with the LO, and I can fit my pump, 2 complete setups (horns & bottles) in a soft-side lunchbag and I'm good to go. I also like the closed system aspect of Ameda pumps - no moldy tubing or having milk back up into the motor. The other thing that I like is the fact that all of the pumping parts break down into components for easier cleaning which is important for me because I am a donor milk mama on Milk Share.

Ameda is a good value - you can start off with a good pump and minimal accessories by buying the Lansinoh purple pump, or you can add more stuff by going with the Ameda PY line. You can't get the same sort of deal by using the Medela line. And as a previous poster mentioned, I have a problem with their extensive marketing in the hospitals... my LC hadn't heard of Ameda and was amazed at my pump!
This is a real problem here. Most of the hospitals only have Symphonies and moms just do not think there is any other option. I'm setting up our clinic to rent pumps and sell supplies and in talking to other LCs I have found that they are all getting rid of their Lactinas, Classics, and Amedas because mothers think that the Symphony is "the best."
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kel View Post

thst makes me want to try one !