Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
shetibo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question fire ant bite help please (gross foot pics)

ok so im needing some relief and none of what i have been suggested so far or can think up is working!
i got bit/stung 1 time by a fire ant (not red ant, BIG difference, fire ant in the southern /eastern US) and in about 18hours i couldnt walk on it. i know i should go to the dr but im worried about driving there? its my gas foot LOL and its deff not ambulance worthy... anywho i am wanting ideas on what to put on it/ take to make this better (im still bfing so its gotta be safe). i have tried soaking it in cool baking soda water with tto and lavander eo, allergy pills and motrin and its not working enough to notice a difference. i try keeping it elevated when i can.

1 stupid ant bite and i cant walk on my foot! its driving me nuts. F these fire ants! the only way you can tell they are both my foot cuz the chipped old nail polish matches
appx 6 hours after and a cool foot soak in baking soada, tto and lavender eo. the arrow is pointing to the 1 tiny fire ant bite/sting

dont mind the green nails lol i spilled dye on my foot when i was tie dying the other day it looks like a nasty fungus, its not coming off either

appx 48 hours after and a few doses of allergy medicine and motrin.

Advertisement

shetibo: she (as in girl) tea (like the drink) bow (tie a bow)

Last edited by shetibo; 08-15-2009 at 12:50 AM.
shetibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
mommy020507
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: fire ant bite help please (gross foot pics)

i think you need to go to dr to get allergic shot. seem like you have allergic reaction to fire ant. wow what a different in 2 days. its really swollen
Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
CookClanMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yikes! I thinkk you need to get an injection, it's likely to get worse. Did you take Benadryl? Also, remember since you've had such a bad reaction this time, if you are bitten again it will likely be worse.
CookClanMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my mom was horrible allergic and like yours it only got worse with time. after it happened to her the first time she tried to wait it out. it was terrible. i would go to a doc and get some help with it and then the next time it happens (Lord willing it doesnt) just dont even wait go straight to the doc and get seen cause it does get worse each time after the first! i feel for you it looks uncomfortable!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:

Fire ant bites can cause anaphylactic reactions just like bee stings. So, talk to your doctor since you have an allergy to make sure that you're protected with an epi pen in case your allergy ever gets worse the next time you're stung.

I always put a baking soda paste on my fire ants bites, but I never had an allergic reaction to the bites. It sounds like you're doing all you can in terms of home remedy stuff. Hugs to you.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
shetibo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this isnt the 1st time it has happened. but i have noticed it gets worse every time!
thanks for the ideas ladies!

shetibo: she (as in girl) tea (like the drink) bow (tie a bow)
shetibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have any activated charcoal? If so open a capsule or two and mix with about 1/2 t of honey and cover your entire foot.Activated charcoal pulls out toxins. You can take it internally too but don't mix with any prescription meds

Sometimes simply covering the foot in a red clay mixture will also help

Benadryl can be applied to the foot as well as taken internally too.

My three year old has very bad reactions to fire ants. He is also fascinated by them. Poor Kid.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm allergic to fire ants. I just got stung (first time this summer, yay!) and can definately say that after 18 months of allergy shots for these things -- they work! My leg still got swollen but nothing like it used to. My allergist told me I could take allergra at night and claritin in the morning (basically doubling up on the 24 hour anti-histamines) so I've done that and taken benadryl cream on the bite itself ... also lots and lots of ice helps. Before getting the shots I would have swelling lasting minimally 2 weeks before it would start to heal. (that was with taking lots of antihistamines and elevating the foot, etc.) This time I only took my normal antihistamine (claritin which is mild) and put cream on it and it has healed almost completely in 3.5 days. Definately think about getting allergy shots (I also carry an epi-pen just in case)
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also am highly allergic to fire ants. I had to be about 2 when I got into a huge bed of them at my grandparents and had to be rushed to Augusta's Army Medical Hospital (parents were military at the time) and I dunno what all they gave me, but I remember being told over and over again how allergic I am, to take benadryl - and should I react worse than I had been -- that I will need an epipen "or worse"..

I now have severe chest pain and breathing issues if I get so much as ONE bite from an ant, and the bites do not go away for weeks. Benadryl no longer touches it. I steer clear of *any* ants now just in case.

So far, no issues with bees/wasps/hornets, but ants are my undoing!

If you can tolerate it, some white vinegar does help take the "sting" out of it a little bit... and sometimes ice helps. But I seriously reccommend seeking medical attention for something like this.

You build up the toxins from ant venom in your body over time, and it is not something that gets expelled or 'better' over the years sadly.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

You need to head to the doc or to the ER...that is a bad allergic reaction. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this