Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

December vs. January birth????

I'm expecting #5 in Jan, but we're expecting this one to be a preemie (i've already had 2 preemies, and the medical condition with the last one gives me a 70% chance of this one coming early too)...I really want to be home for Christmas with the rest of the family, but just curious if anyone has experienced having a baby during the holidays, do you feel that baby is kind of "forgotten" by others cause of everything else going on? Do you make sure to do a separate birthday party for your child? The other thing that has me wondering is here in Canada, the cutoff for school is Dec. 31, so if baby is born in December, they would have to start school (junior kindergarten) at age 3 until they turn 4 3 months later-here it is full day school, every second day. If baby was born in January, they would be 4.5 when they start JK.
Please tell me your stories just so I am prepared!
Thanks!

Advertisement

Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: December vs. January birth????

We have three December babies, 7th, 18th, and 30th. School isn't an issue, we HS. They each have their own birthday, lots of desserts in December. It has not been a problem b/c we never let it be a problem. We usually only do family birthdays here.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

I have no experience with this, but if you think your child is too young to go to school, there is no specific need to send them to junior kindergarden. I was not sent to school until I was in grade 1 and I did just fine.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second son and I share a birthday on the 30th and dd arrived on the 29th.

I make sure they each have their own day and not combined birthdays. I also NEVER EVER give them a birthday/Christmas combined gift. I always hated that as a kid, so I do not do it to them.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo41099 View Post
My second son and I share a birthday on the 30th and dd arrived on the 29th.

I make sure they each have their own day and not combined birthdays. I also NEVER EVER give them a birthday/Christmas combined gift. I always hated that as a kid, so I do not do it to them.
ITA. Everyone has their own day except my twins, they have their own cakes. We have 8/10, 8/13, 8/29, 11/9, 11/12, mine 11/18, 12/7, 12/18, 12/30, 2/24, 2/24.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD's birthday is December 27th. DH doesn't celebrate Christmas so he fasted and prayed she would be born after the holidays and she was (I was due Christmas Eve). We don't do Christmas so that's not an issue, we celebrate her birthday and then DH's birthday on the 15th of January. We're homeschooling but in the US, the cutoff is September 1st anyway.

One thing that does suck, my family is really bad about getting together on any day but Christmas so DD's birthday party (DH was here in Korea at the time) Christmas Day. I don't think it mattered too much to DD as she had only turned three but I wasn't too impressed.

What you do with your little one will be the important thing. Unfortunately, family may not always follow through. DD's two previous birthdays were done only with DH and I there since we lived almost three hours away from everyone else. This year, we're 7000 miles away from everyone (well, almost) and so I'm not quite sure what we're doing. Personally, I'd like to do something fun for DD like go to the water park since that will be open (inside park). We live in the same area as a large resort so this could be done and the prices are much more reasonable during the winter.

As for DD being forgotten by family, they're lousy when it comes to birthdays period so it's not just DD they forget. My birthday was in October and half the times it was overlooked unless I made a big stink about it. Sadly, that's how my family is.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Well, it's not quite as close as you were thinking, but my sister's birthday is in early Dec (9th). And yes, even that early in Dec people would forget about her birthday with all the various and sundry holiday parties and get togethers. She HATED when family and friends (not necessarily ours, but extended like aunts and uncles) would either give her combined birthday/christmas gifts, or not bother giving her a gift until they could send it with the Christmas presents, if they remembered at all. My family always made sure that Christmas didn't intrude on her birthday. The Christmas decorations didn't start going up in our house until the 10th, we always had a separate party for her.

Another friend of mine's birthday was the 22nd, and he had even more of the same problems. He finally decided to start milking the idea that people would give him combined presents and started asking for bigger, pricier items.

I also believe that you can hold a child back a year if they're not ready for school. Not 100% sure on that though.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

I'm finding it very interesting that everyone that has responded has a December b-day! I guess having a b-day in January is no different than the rest of the year?
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD's birthday is January 4th and we have been adamant about it being about her. Her's is only 10 days after Christmas. DH's brothers only get her gifts for Christmas, but we are expected to get their kids both Christmas and birthday gifts. It's annoying and hurtful that somehow her birthday is forgotten My MIL was born January 18 and she said she always got shafted because her parents would give her everything for Christmas and there was usually no money or nothing to get her for her birthday. My mom is December 23rd and she always got shafted. I'm lucky in the fact that because they both had issues growing up that they don't forget, but her birthday poses problems with getting people to come to her party because it's so close to Christmas. We are going to start holding it probably 2 weeks after her bday so that it is even further away from Christmas. But having a summer bday, I had the same problem with no one coming to my party
Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My cousin was born on Christmas day and for us, it makes it really easy to celebrate as everyone is in the area anyways! Usually, Christmas presents are opened in the morning, we have a birthday party at lunch (complete with presents and cake) and then a regular Christmas dinner. Works out wonderfully as he sees more of his family than he would at any other time of year.

I was born in early January and as a kid did have a few relatives who did the whole "here's your birthday and Christmas present" which didn't phase me unless it was the same thing my sister got as just a Christmas present. With my close family, it actually worked to my advantage as I could request the things that I didn't get for Christmas and that were now on clearance!!
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote