Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Re: December vs. January birth????

wordmama-that's great you found it to be a positive, that's what we are hoping for too!
Where in Ontario are you? I'm near Barrie...

Advertisement

Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
I also believe that you can hold a child back a year if they're not ready for school. Not 100% sure on that though.
If the school can hold a child back a year for not being ready, why can't the parent hold the child back one year with kindergarten? I have seen in my family a June and August b-day kids start kindergarten at 5 and it never worked. Both ended up being held back and for my younger sister, it was really bad because the kids picked on her all the time for it.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our oldest son b-day is Dec. 27th and our youngest is Nov 15(he is only 9 months) with our oldest we have always had a separate b-day and have not included it with X-mas....I really dont think that is fair

When he was 5 we did have a really big party in May thou for his 1/2 b-day because it is hard to invite friends to a party around that time because most people are with their families
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is at the end of Dec and DD2's bday last year was on Thanksgiving (we share a b-day). Because my b-day was always on or near Thanksgiving I got lost in the mix a lot so I'm pretty sensitive to this.

We plan on having DD's party in January and DD2's mid Nov each year. Who knows if that will change but that is the plan now. We had to combine last year because DD1's 1st b-day party was canceled because she and I both had the stomach flu .

IDK about the school issue - we do things differently here .
Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As someone whose b-day is 15 days after x-mas, I can tell you it is horrible. My mom told me that the week before my b-day, the stores would not restock their toys. So I got a lot of "bottom of the barrel" type stuff.

My b-day was almost always forgotten by friends. If I gave out the inviations before the break, they would forget. If I gave them out after, they usually had plans already.

The cut off in my school district was Jan 1. Mine is the 9th.

I told my DH that I would move heaven and earth before I had a kid that was born 1 month before or after the holidays (mid Nov to early Feb). I cannot subject any of my kids to how horrible it was to have a birthday near x-mas. The kids have Mar & Oct b-days!
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #16
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Mama of 4_08 View Post
wordmama-that's great you found it to be a positive, that's what we are hoping for too!
Where in Ontario are you? I'm near Barrie...
I'm a bit of a Pollyanna that way - always looking for the silver lining! If you point out the positives of having a bday near Christmas and focus on what's awesome about that, your kids will follow suit.

I'm in Southern Ontario, just outside of Kitchener.

And yes - as far as school, you can hold them back from starting until the following school year. But it really depends on the child - you may have a bright little go-getter who will keep up just fine with the older kids.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS's b-day is Jan 4. He's 19 months now so we haven't had to deal with a lot yet. Our holiday time is a little wonky anyway though. We live in MD and my fam is in TN and the in-laws are in NM. My niece's b-day is Dec 30 so we have decided to do a combined b-day in TN since all the family is there but we did a separate MD party as well. This past year my in-laws waited and came to visit around ds's birthday rather than Christmas. We may have to rework things later but for now this is good. DH and I are used to this though because he's Jan 11th and I'm Now 11th. I have heard about people who are born close to Christmas having 1/2 birthdays though...
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

We did a half birthday for DD because DH was already in Korea when we had her birthday.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dds birthday is january 1st. She has only had 2 birthdays thus far, her first one we did a few days after her birthday at an idoor play area, and her second one we actually got to do on her birthday at a local pizza place. (my mother is disabled and our apartment has loads of stairs, so we do neutral locations so she can come) So far it hasnt been an issue (tax break for prior year would have been nice but.....) The only thing that makes me a little sad about it is that she gets christmas and then a week later her birthday. Which means she goes a whole year without getting an exciting party day thats for her.
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest dd was born on Dec 30th. It is hard to do the birthday party during that time of year. I have seriously thought about throwing her a Happy UnBirthday party in the middle of the summer, since she loves going to parties at the park so much. I have heard of others doing that, so, why not?