Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:
What age can you tell if a child is color blind?

I'm getting worried about ds - he doesnt know ANY of his colors and we have been talking about colors sense he was tiny (he is 25months now).
He is 'gifted' and knows sooo many other things that his friends dont, he can also recognize letters and numbers and read a few words.
So it just seems weird to me that he cant tell me what color anything is.
When will we be able to test for it?

Advertisement

leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: What age can you tell if a child is color blind?

It could be he's not interested in color names yet.

You could play matching games, starting with 6 like-objects (like blocks) with two of each color - red, blue, yellow and let him match them up. After he gets the hang of that you could try a color mat - matching various objects to three color strips..and adding in other colors one at a time to see if there's a problem with red/green or green/yellow pairings.

If he can't match like objects then I would talk to your doctor about it. But 2yo is developmentally young, and if he's focusing on other things he just might not care about the names of the colors.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

He cant match colors but he can match shapes, letters, numbers, even a number 3 w/ pic of 3 dogs, things like that.

I'm not sure if its just that he doesnt feel like learning colors - he really likes art and painting, but he will just pick one color and everything is that color to him, like right now if you ask him what color something is, he always says 'orange'. If you ask him what color he likes he always says pink, but then you offer him something pink or something blue, he will pick either one and say its pink.

I hope its just him being weird and not an eye issue - I love color and would be sad if he had a hard time seeing colors properly!
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
LilyGrace
Registered Users

The little girl I watch occasionally is about 2.5. To her, everything is Lellow. We played with my Stockmar blocks for a few days and for about 10 minutes she was great with Red, Lellow, Geen, and Bluuuuuuuuuuuuue, and then it went back to everything Lellow again.

If he cannot match like items, seriously cannot match like items, then that would possibly indicate a problem. Most kids can after they see it demonstrated and/or use a color mat to help them match item to place.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
angelikapisadika
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting! My daughter is the same way...I wondered about color blindness, too. I recently heard only males can have color blindness, but I don't know if that's true.

I have a very bright 24 month old girl with a huge vocabulary and great communication skills. She knows the names for everything, counts past 10, says the whole alphabet, yet consistently calls colors their wrong names and seems unable to absorb the concept of naming/matching colors. We bought the eeboo color match game and will continue to work on colors with her. She can recall pink and purple most of the time...unless you ask specifically "what is this color?" She usually just says, "green"!

I think if he consistently mixes up particular colors, it could be color blindness. Like green and red. But I'm no expert. Just wanted to let you know that we're right there with you on color confusion!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

First of all True color blindness is extremely rare....Usually it is just reds and greens, sometimes it is blue and yellow.
Here is some info.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/colordeficiency.htm

At 25 months I really wouldn't worry much about it. Does he show signs of any other vision issues?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

My oldest ds is color blind. I noticed when he was around 3 or so. He wasn't learning his colors like his big sister did. When I asked his doctor she wasn't concerned and eventually he did learn his colors. We found out he is color blind when he was 12. There was a sample test in a magazine and he didn't pass it. Took him in to the same doctor and yes he is color blind like I thought 9 years before. Here is a good wesite where you can test online. See if he can trace the shapes of the numbers in the circles. http://www.colorvisiontesting.com/ That's how they tested my 6 year old last year when he didn't know his numbers yet.

BTW...girls can be color blind. It's just very rare because of how it's passed down. Usually it's passed from dad through his daughter to his grandson. That's how my ds got it. I never even knew my dad was color blind until after my ds was diagnosed. Then my mom told me my dad is too. Thanks for the heads up mom!! Anyway, if the dad is color blind and the mom is a carrier, their dd can be color blind too.

Just wanted to add. My ds is red/green color blind. He had a hard time when he was younger telling the difference between red, green, brown, and gray. (Also pink/purple.) Here is why. Red looks gray or black and green looks brown or tan. And then it was hard for him to tell the difference between gray and tan. When he asked to paint his room black and I told him no, he then asked to paint it red. I told him okay, not realizing they are almost the same to him!! The only color he sees like the rest of us is blue, which has always been his favorite color.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 08-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Shaunam
Registered Users

I wouldn't worry. They are supposed to know about 6 colors by age 3 or something like that. Colors are one of the harder concepts to grasp...or so I've heard. Probably because there's no concrete colors. There's a million different shades of red, a million of blue, ect. And they blend....some blues look almost purple or black. Dark pink can look red, ect. Where a shape is a shape and a letter is a letter. There's not a whole lot of variation.

And even if he IS color blind, it's not something you need to worry about now. Don't fret because he's not picking up on it as quickly as he did everything else. My DS was labeled "gifted" by his pedi at that age (I was SO proud!) and in fact, he did pick up on everything VERY quickly. I got concerned when he "fell behind" in some areas, but really he didn't "fall behind" at all...he just drifted more towards normal (which was difficult to accept after thinking I had a genius child). We all want super smart kids but their progress as 2 year olds does not determine if they are gifted. I was a gifted kid and ended up average. My DBF was completely and totally typical until middle school and then just took off. He's smarter than anyone else I know...by a long shot.

Just enjoy him and don't worry too much about how he progresses. Colors are just one tiny thing he will learn in his lifetime.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was that age, I thought "Green" was "the other"... I knew colors, and could answer... but like your son, everything was that color - for a long time.

I asked for -- get this -- "A green dog that sings, like Ronald has" (From the McDonald's commercial) from my Papa. He said "Honey, if I EVER find a Green dog that sings, I will buy it for you!".
He never knew I just meant "one like what was on tv".

Purple has been my favorite color for a long time... but I think I only really knew my colors somewhere between 3 and 4.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are tests the eye doc & ped can do at that age to test for color blindness. But most kids don't get tested really well for all things until they enter school. Only because then it **might** matter. Your child can learn the names of the colors that he sees, whether or not they are the colors that you see.
Let me explain:
You have always been taught that when you see a certain color, it is called "red". You have been taught that by your parents, friends, school, etc. Your whole life, this shade of color that you see is called "red". But here's the rub! What if you actually only ever saw shades of grey? But when you were learning the names of colors, when you saw this certain shade of grey, people told you it was called "red". They didn't know you only saw shades & not colors simply because you called them the correct names. You have no idea that you were color blind! Neither did anyone else. Simply because you learned the correct name for what other people saw even though it wasn't really what other people saw. Do you get what I'm saying?
I used to work for an Ophthalomogist(eye doc) and he would try to explain it to patients who were concerned about color blindness. Learning the names of colors really isn't the issue. Neither is matching colors really. It's more an issue if the "shades of grey or tan" are so close together that it is a safety issue(red/green for example, could cause an issue with traffic lights).
Sure it would be sad if your child couldn't see all the vibrant blues & oranges & reds of sunset or the earthy tones of autumn leaves falling, but more than likely your little one is fine.

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 08-16-2009 at 12:40 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote