Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
jenna0913
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need a pulled pork recipe w/ out BBQ sauce

DH wants me to make pulled pork. But all I can find is recipes with BBQ sauce. Does anyone have one without BBQ sauce?

Advertisement

jenna0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
MeganBeth
Registered Users
Formerly: Xanders Mommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need a pulled pork recipe w/ out BBQ sauce

Do you want pulled pork sandwhiches or just pulled pork for tacos etc?

I've only ever used bbq sauce when making pulled pork sandwhiches but all I do is take a pork roast and rub it down with salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little cumin, and a little chilli powder. Put it in a pot with water about 1/2 way up (you could use stock too) . I throw some peppercorns, sliced onion, and carrots into the water and just let it cook on low for a few hours. I'm always checking the water level to make sure it doesn't boil dry.

I pull the roast out and shred it with a fork and it's pulled pork. You could really make any kind of sauce you wanted I guess if you were making sammies with it.

Meg, Wife to Ray 09-07-07. Mama to X 01-19-07 & L 12-12-09
Three Men and A Mommy-Now with Giveaways!
What's UP Top Hats and More!

MeganBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Jollymom
Registered Users

Ok so my DH had a pot luck at work last week and we made pulled pork. I am not a big bbq fan so I made some with bbq and some without. We put in rootbeer and a small amount of brown sugar, then put the pork shoulder in the crock pot around 11pm, and let it cook on low all night. The next morning it was perfect, it just fell apart. I then divided it and added bbq sauce to one and then added some wingers sauce( Wingers is a restaurant and there sauce is famous, it is sweet and spicy) If you don't have a wingers near you I would use a hot sauce and some more rootbeer, mix them together and then add to the pork. I personally like it with no sauce, especially because we cook it in rootbeer and I love the flavor.
I hope this helps.
Adrea 6
Jollymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollymom View Post
Ok so my DH had a pot luck at work last week and we made pulled pork. I am not a big bbq fan so I made some with bbq and some without. We put in rootbeer and a small amount of brown sugar, then put the pork shoulder in the crock pot around 11pm, and let it cook on low all night. The next morning it was perfect, it just fell apart. I then divided it and added bbq sauce to one and then added some wingers sauce( Wingers is a restaurant and there sauce is famous, it is sweet and spicy) If you don't have a wingers near you I would use a hot sauce and some more rootbeer, mix them together and then add to the pork. I personally like it with no sauce, especially because we cook it in rootbeer and I love the flavor.
I hope this helps.
our recipe is similar, just some onions and coke or rootbeer with a pork shoulder on low 8 hours in crock pot. Yummy. make sure to mix a little of the broth back into the meat after shredding to keep it moist
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

this is what i do most often with pulled pork:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...021/index.html
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
ChasingRainbows
Registered Users

My Mood:

Spiced Pulled Pork Sandwiches

The recipe for it comes from Safeway's summer website (www.Safeway.com/summer)

3 tbsp. firmly packed Safeway Light Brown Sugar, divided
3 tsp. ground allspice, divided
2 tsp. kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
1 bone-in pork shoulder blade roast (3 1/2 lbs.), rinsed and patted dry
8 green onions (4 oz.), coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 fresh jalapeño chiles, seeded
2 tbsp. Safeway Tomato Paste
1/4 cup Safeway Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
12 Safeway French Bread Dinner Rolls, split horizontally
Lime wedges

1. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for indirect, medium-low heat. Set a 10- by 12-in. foil drip pan beneath center of cooking grate; fill with 2 qt. water.

2. In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tsp. allspice, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt; rub over pork. Place pork fat side up on oiled cooking grate over drip pan (not over direct heat). If using charcoal, add 5 briquets to each mound of coals now; repeat every 30 minutes of cooking. Cover charcoal grill and open vents; close lid on gas grill. Cook meat until tender when pierced, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, whirl remaining 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. allspice and 1/2 tsp salt; green onions; garlic; chiles; tomato paste; thyme; pepper; and vinegar and whirl until smooth. When meat is tender, generously baste with half of onion mixture. Cook for 15 minutes and baste again. Cook until coating is brown and meat shreds easily with a fork, about 30 minutes more.

4. Lift pork to a bowl; and tent with foil. Skim and discard fat from pan liquid. Measure liquid; if more than 1 1/2 cups, pour into a medium saucepan and boil over high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Cut meat from bone (discard bone). With 2 forks, pull meat into thin shreds; discard fat. Stir in cooking liquid.

5. Spoon about 1/3 cup pulled pork into each roll. Top with a spoonful of Savory Mango Salsa. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over the meat and more salt to add to taste.
ChasingRainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
adviga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a huge fan of bbq, either, so I do mexican flavored pulled pork . . . my own recipe, with no exact measurements, sorry!

put country style ribs in the crockpot with the following (I like to go heavy on the seasonings):
garlic
onion
salt
pepper
chili powder
cumin
1 cup or so of chicken broth

cook on low for 12 hours
pull out the bones and chunk up the pork
cook on low for 12 more hours, occasionally stirring/shredding up the pork

It comes out so yummy its all I can do to not sit down and eat it straight from the pot! I like to use it in enchiladas or burritos and sometimes on quesadillas.
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. Psalm 127:3-5
adviga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
armywifemomof3
Registered Users

SUPER TASTY
put a pork roast in the crock pot all day
drain most of the water, mix with taco seasoning packet
cook corn tortillas in oil for like 10 seconds....just until soft, you can also spray then with nonstick cooking spray and cooke then in a pan for a few seconds to get the same effect.
put the pork on the tortilla with whatever u want
i use sour cream
cheese
lettuce...mixed with some red cabbage....
it's so good, everytime I make it everytime just RAVE about it....not to toot my own horn or anything
armywifemomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make plain pulled pork by putting a 1/2 loin in the crockpot with 1/4 cup chicken broth (from boullion most of the time) and let it cook all day on low. Shred, season to taste with salt and pepper, add a bit more broth if needed, serve on sandwich buns or use in recipes/
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote