Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Does dd want more?

Hey there, sometimes I wonder if dd wouldn't eat more if it were there. We had some supply issues at about 2 weeks due to having to give her formula for 2 days b/c of jaundice. I feel like we've worked through that. Dd is not a heavy wetter, but is gaining weight fine. She isn't however as big as her older brother and sister were at her age. Anyways, it seems like Maddie wants more sometimes and it just isn't there. This is especially in the evenings when she is still a little fussy and could nurse all the time if I'd let her. Also, she sleeps with us and I nurse her to sleep, or at least try. I always run out of milk and she fusses. Is this normal? She is usually fine during the day. She nurses until she seems happy. I guess like I feel like we have just enough milk when I wish I had an overabundance.

I am really trying to have a more long term nursing relationship with Maddie than what I did with my other two. I nursed them technically until 10 months, but once I started weaning them just a little (at 6 to 8 months) my supply went fast (is that normal?). I want to nurse Maddie past 12 months!

SAHM to Leah (12), Logan (10), Madeline (4), Anna (4), Gideon (4) and our newest little man, Asher (15 months, our little Ethiopian prince).

PM for Ebay and old DS feedback
juliemom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Does dd want more?

It's normal for your supply to be lower in the evening and it's also normal for babies to be fussier in the evening, whether the milk is there or not. In the evening when you feel like you're running on empty, try to stay calm and relaxed (yeah right...with 3 kids!), drink LOTS of water, and let her nurse as much as she will. Even if you feel like you're switching sides every couple of minutes, that's the only way to let your body know that it needs to make more. You can also try warm compresses on your breasts or doing breast compressions (like you're manually expressing the milk into her mouth) to keep the flow going a little better. Good luck...
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote