Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Registered Users
Tell me about Zorb!

I am making diapers, and I want to know - do you love this or hate it?

Side by side, for absorbancy, how does it stand up to hemp and microfiber?
For example, 1 zorb layer will equal ??? hemp layers or ??? microfiber layers...

Can you use just Zorb as an insert or soaker pad, or do you need other fabrics as well?

Thanks so much!!!

dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tell me about Zorb!

I love Zorb. It does need to be sandwiches between other fabrics for it to last a long time though. Here's the info from Wazoodle:
1) What is it made of?

I can tell you with great certainty there are no "ground up tires bleached in acid and mixed with a polycarbonate resin". We have a pretty good record of bringing this market innovative textiles. We are well known for our attention to environmental and product safety, particularly in the diaper making and healthcare markets. Zorb follows a bunch of specialty textiles that are high-performers, safe, and environmentally friendly.

Zorb contains _only _ common diaper making fibers, nothing mysterious. All are virgin, made in the USA or Canada, non-allergenic, easy to sanitize, and free of anything mysterious or unknown. We manufacture Zorb in the USA and Canadian in modern facilities that are safe & friendly for workers and the environment.

Zorb contains only tangled cellulose fibers from bamboo/cotton/viscose and poly micro fiber. Nothing else. We would like to keep the exact formula and manufacturing process a secret!

2) Is it thick?

That depends on how you compare things. Soaker layers are built up from 3-8 layers (+ doublers) which generally produces a pretty thick wad of fabric. When we designed Zorb, our goals were to enable the absorbent layer to be overall trimmer and more flexible than conventional fabrics could provide. We also wanted to reduce material cost AND cut & sew both time for the diaper maker. The best overall solution for Zorb worked out to be about the same thickness as Sherpa. This enabled new designs that use a trimmer than anything currently available, and an easy changeover with no downside for existing soaker designs.

For a head to head comparison on thickness, stacking Zorb on a desk against the common fabrics will show you something like this. 1 layer of Zorb is the same as:
* 3 layers of flannel
* 2.25 layers of French terry
* 1.3 layers of cotton fleece
* 1 layer of sherpa.

Now, to get the same absorbency, as 2 layer of Zorb, you will need:

* 8 layers of flannel
* 6 layers of French terry
* 5 layers of cotton fleece
* 4 layers of sherpa.

So, when you’re diaper is finished, it should be trimmer and softer handed using Zorb. Should be a whole lot less expensive as well.

3) Does it wick under compression?

Less than anything else. We spent a lot of time looking at leak off under compression, bothe with Zorb and our natural fiber fleeces. Compression leak off occurs when a fabric reaches saturation and cannot distributing moisture thought the fabric. Zorb cures this problem in a 2 ways.

First, it has extremely fast moisture distribution. Assaults are quickly spread over a wide area to minimize saturation in any one spot. This minimized compression leak off greatly. To see this drop a swatch into water, you will see the moisture moves instantly through the fabric. The same thing happens when you pee on it. So, the

Next, the ability to resist leakoff depends on the resiliency of the fabric's web. Zorb is considerabley more resilient than fleeces and terrys, and way, way more resilient than microfiber toweling. When you squish it using the typical pressure of a baby (5psi or less), moisture simply moves through the fabric web.
Crystal~WAHM to Emma & Liam and wife to Scott.
Stocking Minky and Bamboo Cloth Pads at Tree Hugger Cloth Pads!
Choose from 200+ colors!

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Users

I like zorb as well. Like the PP said, you definitely want to mix it with some cotton/ bamboo/ hemp. It will "squish out" just like microfiber if you don't. It does absorb VERY fast, faster than MF. It is absolutely a dream to cut and sew. It doesn't fray or stretch or slide around. It also dries really fast.
nyki82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I love zorb!! I just recently began to use it. It makes the diapers so soft and squishy!!! I like to pair it w/ bamboo fabrics.
Kellie~mama to 5,(ages 28,23, 9 , and 7 & 4 , nanna to 2 little girls 8 angels never in my arms but forever in my heart Teeny Little Super Guy is now 3!!!!
Diapers, trainers, & doll items
NOW Open! MonkeysAndAngels
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote