Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
happylittlefamily
Banned
seller

My Mood:
With the new label law, is anyone who was just getting started going to quit?

Just when I was getting ready to launch a new diaper line, I find out about the new CPSIA label law. I'm still researching it, but wondering if anyone else who is a super itty bitty WAHM is not going to be able to continue? Also, do we have to label our own diapers and such that we make for our own kids? I mean, if there is potential it could be used on another child at some point (sold second hand, given away, donated to Miracle Diapers..) would it need to be thrown away if it doesn't have a label? I might just use all my new materials and make an all new stash for my 3 kids. Also, if we buy material from mamas on the craft FSOT forum, how do we comply with the law? Do we just keep a record indicating the fabric (say PUL or bamboo fleece or even snaps) were bought on Diaperswappers.com and list the date? The keeping track of where I purchase things is my main problem. I can do the label just fine, but I'm so afraid that I won't be keeping the records right. My MIL thinks I'm nuts for worrying about it at all and thinks it's silly to think the government is going to come after a WAHM, but I think consumers are expecting compliance as much as the government, so I think we have to follow through no matter how silly it seems.

Advertisement

happylittlefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
NimblePhish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: With the new label law, is anyone who was just getting started going to quit?

Hey, I know what you mean. I've been around a bit but I can't exactly afford new tags, so I am making my own. For $10 I think I have everything I need. I hope to have tutorial up soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
happylittlefamily
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: With the new label law, is anyone who was just getting started going to quit?

Well, the making of the tags isn't my biggest concern. I've bought some satin ribbon and am printing my label info on transfer paper and will iron it to the ribbon and then sew it into my items. My problem is keeping up with all the materials, making sure they were tested, what % of the overall product is this type of material, what batch number, where did I get my lastin, where did the co-op order from, etc. I already have ADHD, so I'm pretty much a mess anyway, so having to keep all of those things organized is a bit overwhelming. LOL It's taking a lot of fun out of the whole sewing thing. I really didn't think small time WAHMs were really going to comply and it was more for the WAHMs that have been able to go big, but guess not. LOL At this rate, the whole $100 profit I'll probably make this year from sewing may be best made clipping coupons instead. Hee,hee.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
NimblePhish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand, sadly I'm glad it's forcing me to organize, it'll make tax time a lot easier. I really only have a handfull of fabric sources so I'm hoping that will make it easier, what I can't track I'll just use for myself.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think there was a thread over in the WAHM chit chat explaining exactly what needed to be on the tags. For things like diapers, etc you need The company contact info, place of manufacter, and date of manufacter as well as care instructions. I swore I saw something saying we were exempt from putting batch numbers and fiber content, but you should keep the records on hand so if someone contacted you wanting the info you could provide it. Does that make sense?

I could be totally off (though I hope not!) but I'm only putting my website, location, and DOM on the labels as well as care instructions on the back. I'm trying not to stress over this too much, but we'll see how it goes once things really take effect.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, the hardest thing isremembering where I got all my fabrics!! I have a huge inventory, much of it I picked up on FSOT. And right now the cost of labels is more than I can do. I am going to make some and hope they work!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dont make anything. But was just wondering about this. My friend just started her own website of stuff she makes.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
happylittlefamily
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Anything that is made for a child from diapers to toys or things that affect a child like carriers or even felt food and hairbows, need to have labels that include the company name, the place (city, state, and country) it was made, and also the day that it was made (also known as the DOM) It needs to be affixed to the product and the label needs to be well enough made to last as long as the life of the product is intended for. Also on the label, you have to include care instructions and I think also the content of the materials used. (3% cotton, 57% polyester, 40% bamboo, etc) Right now, WAHMs are not having to list the batch number, but we are required to have records on hand of where each piece of material was purchased, the date it was purchased as well as the other information should someone ever want to reference it. This is required of any items made for children. Doesn't matter if you sew a pair of socks for all the kids in the neighborhood or if you mass produce your slings. And it doesn't matter if you only do custom orders. You have to have this label or there is fines and even jail time attached to violators. I am not the go to person for all the details, but these are the bits and pieces I've picked up so far. This law was put in place as of 8/14/09. I was just getting ready to get started, so I am still on the fence as to whether to pursue making my items or not. I am not even a true business entity (haven't applied for my business license or anything yet) so I have a lot to think about.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just to clear up a couple of points, from what I have read and found:

Diapers are exempt from content labelling. Not from the rest, just from content.

I believe "hosiery" is also exempt, so socks wouldn't count...but I don't make socks, so I would suggest double checking that one (just b/c they were used as an example)

This does not apply to items made for personal use (for yourself, for a gift for a friend, etc) but only to businesses

Items do not have to have the label permanently attached if they are too small or if attaching the label would affect their function. So for things like hair bows, you can just include the info in the packaging.

I believe, also, that the date of manufacture needs only include the month and year, and the tags do not actually have to have contact info, but enough info that a person would be able to contact you if needed (so company name and city/state should suffice)

Here are the crucial links to official info:

CPSIA FAQ

Care labelling

Content labelling:
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
kia_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is the government going to quit before it runs all the small business owners OUT OF BUSINESS???