Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
The Fancy Pansy's Avatar
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 10,502
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

Just wanted to add this link:

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...amboo-fabrics/


Advertisement

__________________
Krista , wife to Bobby, mom to Rosie (5), and Ellie (3) and Olivia (1)
CLOSED FOR BABYMOON
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
AshleyLD's Avatar
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South CA
Posts: 13,856
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

wow.....
__________________
*~Ashley~* SAHmama to 3 + 1
Check out the amazing Waldorf items at The Waldorf Dollhouse!
AshleyLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
mykidsteacher's Avatar
mykidsteacher
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,085
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

Yeah, I've got a roll of bamboo fleece, errr, rayon fleece on the way too. Hope I can still use it in diapers to sell. It is just so absorbent.

Guess the bamboo bubble is bursting.
__________________
Tina, HS'ing Mama to 4 dc, Baby #5 with Jesus 2/09.
Stocking Heartland Dreams
My Photobucket My Blog Follow me on Facebook!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Alioop's Avatar
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hilton Head, sc
Posts: 1,659
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

I would not worry about it, it is still the same great fabric we love. Nothing has changed.

Rayon describes the process. Basically, where as cotton is a fiber, like wool, that is "spun" into strings and woven into fabric, rayon, is a man made fiber made from plant pulp. In our case, the plant is bamboo. It can be made from other (wood) pulps....but bamboo is the stuff we love.

The bamboo is beaten to death to create a pulp, much like making paper from wood.

Now, there is some question whether processing bamboo this way is earth friendly....and you CAN research that. Bamboo IS a sustainable grass, friendler to grow than cotton (less water/pesticides) but....processing is worse.

But, as a fabric, it is still nice, soft, and absorbant.
__________________
Cheri, WAHM to one fantastic dd! We Moved! If you are looking for Discounts...come to my Facebook page! Alioop on Facebook Shop http://www.ali-oop.com/
Alioop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
Rainshine Designs's Avatar
Rainshine Designs
Registered User
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Coast of Canada, the beautiful Sunshine Coast
Posts: 3,277
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
I would not worry about it, it is still the same great fabric we love. Nothing has changed.

Rayon describes the process. Basically, where as cotton is a fiber, like wool, that is "spun" into strings and woven into fabric, rayon, is a man made fiber made from plant pulp. In our case, the plant is bamboo. It can be made from other (wood) pulps....but bamboo is the stuff we love.

The bamboo is beaten to death to create a pulp, much like making paper from wood.

Now, there is some question whether processing bamboo this way is earth friendly....and you CAN research that. Bamboo IS a sustainable grass, friendler to grow than cotton (less water/pesticides) but....processing is worse.

But, as a fabric, it is still nice, soft, and absorbant.

Exactly!
I'm not sure why anyone would be freaking out. It's still made from bamboo, just the fibers are dissolved and then spun into fleece, velour, etc. Rayon generally means fabric made from wood pulp processed in the same fashion, both are still a natural cellulose fiber, dyable, breathable, soft and absorbent!
I still love the bamboo and plan to continue using it.
__________________
Megan~proudly -ian WAHM

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
The Fancy Pansy's Avatar
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 10,502
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshine Designs View Post
Exactly!
I'm not sure why anyone would be freaking out. It's still made from bamboo, just the fibers are dissolved and then spun into fleece, velour, etc. Rayon generally means fabric made from wood pulp processed in the same fashion, both are still a natural cellulose fiber, dyable, breathable, soft and absorbent!
I still love the bamboo and plan to continue using it.
It's the way that it's treated that makes it so misleading. Yes, they start with bamboo. Then they add tons of nasty toxic chemicals to break it down, and by the time you're done, what you have really isn't organic or bamboo anymore, and it no longer has any of the benefits of bamboo. It is NOT antimicrobial (unless treated with an antimicrobial chemical), and really isn't any different than any other rayon.
__________________
Krista , wife to Bobby, mom to Rosie (5), and Ellie (3) and Olivia (1)
CLOSED FOR BABYMOON
The Fancy Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
wyattsveganmama's Avatar
wyattsveganmama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 249
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

I'm just not happy that a fabric I thought was "natural" is actually rayon. Like all rayons, it's highly processed and said processing is horrible for the environment. Avtex, the largest EPA Super Fund clean up site was a rayon plant, and that's what freaks me out.

I'm not going to get rid of the bamboo that I currently have, but I will buy organic cotton and hemp from now on.
__________________
Rea
Crunchy wife of R.J. SAHM to Wyatt (11/08)
and Wynona (3/12)
wyattsveganmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
wyattsveganmama's Avatar
wyattsveganmama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 249
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
It's the way that it's treated that makes it so misleading. Yes, they start with bamboo. Then they add tons of nasty toxic chemicals to break it down, and by the time you're done, what you have really isn't organic or bamboo anymore, and it no longer has any of the benefits of bamboo. It is NOT antimicrobial (unless treated with an antimicrobial chemical), and really isn't any different than any other rayon.
__________________
Rea
Crunchy wife of R.J. SAHM to Wyatt (11/08)
and Wynona (3/12)
wyattsveganmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Rainshine Designs's Avatar
Rainshine Designs
Registered User
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Coast of Canada, the beautiful Sunshine Coast
Posts: 3,277
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

I think if we actually research ANY fabric that we're using, we're going to find "unwanteds". Nothing is perfect and every fabric has to be processed in some way.We can make polyester from recycled pop-bottles but we're still using power, chemicals, and other resources to do it.
__________________
Megan~proudly -ian WAHM

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
Elisabeth1017
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,439
My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

My concern and maybe someone can clear this up for me , but is there any chemical residue on the fabric from the process? My whole change to cloth was to keep chemicals off his skin. Is bamboo rayon safe?
__________________
Mommy to my two awesome boys, Levi and Chase. Mom, psychology student, secretary etc.
Elisabeth1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.