Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Bamboozled?!...Freaking out!

Yes, all bamboo is rayon. It is not new information. I saw this information on the cotton babies website years ago. I do wonder if this will change the market. It is the same fabric but will the labeling change perceptions? I think it will. And you will see fewer bamboo diapers.

Advertisement

Last edited by Pat899; 08-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #22
wyattsveganmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I only started CDing my first-born in April '09, so I had no idea.

I think labeling changes will change the perception of this fabric, as they should. The current labeling is deceptive. Of course, all fabrics, and everything we use in our daily lives, leaves an impact on the earth. Some things leave more of an impact than others. I just think that the labeling is misleading and a lot of mamas thought that they were getting something they weren't. Lot's of WAHMS and brands of CD's make claims about bamboo that simply aren't true. Not necessarily because they are deliberately deceiving us, but because there is a lot of false information out there. Some of you may have known about "bamboo" fabrics, but a lot of us didn't, and are really disappointed.

ETA: I'm just glad to be more informed and thought I'd spread the knowledge for those who weren't in the know.

Last edited by wyattsveganmama; 08-19-2009 at 11:03 PM.
wyattsveganmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #23
dusthappy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the "freakout" comes in the form of having to relabel everything, adjust marketing and such. At least in my case. I now have to go and reword/relabel/and resew the seams for those labels. It is a lot of headache for anybody who is in the manufacturing business. Add to this the CPSIA issues and OY!
dusthappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #24
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

The thing that disturbs me about bamboo is not really the environmental concerns, though that is a factor to consider, but my main issue is all the chemicals that are used. And considering a lot of bamboo fabric/product comes from china. who knows what horrid chemicals are on there that may be next to my baby's skin. I only have 3 bamboo dipes and I'm getting rid of them.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
wyattsveganmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddle1 View Post
The thing that disturbs me about bamboo is not really the environmental concerns, though that is a factor to consider, but my main issue is all the chemicals that are used. And considering a lot of bamboo fabric/product comes from china. who knows what horrid chemicals are on there that may be next to my baby's skin.
wyattsveganmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #26
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

interesting. I think I want to wait to worry until I see a little more info about it though. All fabrics require some form of processing that's damaging to the environment, and I wasn't seduced by the claims that bamboo or hemp or any other fiber was antimicrobial or what have you. I'm finding that I actually prefer cottons for a lot of things, but I still like how bamboo works for dipes. hm.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #27
mibelleson
Registered Users
seller

not sure if i'm allowed to post this here as it relates to my biz, but mods feel free to delete the post if it's not allowed here. here's my response to the FTC consumer alert: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...9&postcount=19

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by mibelleson; 08-20-2009 at 01:31 AM.
mibelleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #28
mykidsteacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just want to address the "horrid chemicals left in the fabric" issue.

I know that the fabric I buy has been tested and certified to meet certain standards of toxicity (or rather lack of toxicity) through Oeko-Tex (an internationally recognized certification agency that tests MANY toxins, and meets the cpsia standards for lead). You can google this and find out a list of exactly what they test and the limits imposed.

So, while chemicals are used in processing, I feel confident using this fabric based on the certifications I have in my possession.
Tina, HS'ing Mama to 4 dc, Baby #5 with Jesus 2/09.
Stocking Heartland Dreams
My Photobucket My Blog Follow me on Facebook!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #29
andrea909
Registered Users
seller

Wow. I feel pretty dumb because I never considered that there could be lead left over on fabric I buy. I now wonder about all those pieces I've accumulated for diapers that I don't know the brands of. Even when I've ordered fabric from stores online I haven't noticed them promoting testing they've done on fabrics. What a scary thought.
andrea909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea909 View Post
Wow. I feel pretty dumb because I never considered that there could be lead left over on fabric I buy. I now wonder about all those pieces I've accumulated for diapers that I don't know the brands of. Even when I've ordered fabric from stores online I haven't noticed them promoting testing they've done on fabrics. What a scary thought.
the chance of lead being in your fabric are 2.....slim and none. Like REALLY slim, and pretty much none. the only documented case I have ever found of lead being found in fabric was in a lame (can't find my accent aigu on my keyboard, so that is LAMAY, not male, incase there was any misinterpretation) type fabric and it was in the paint they used on it. Don't ask me to find the recall, but it was on the clothing that was on a doll.

In the end it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Cotton is worse to grow, bamboo is worse to process. In the end which is better, which is worse?? By the time it rolls off the production line it's all pretty much a wash.

Laws regarding chemicals and lead are now pretty strict. The chances of any toxic chemical being left behind are pretty much non existent, and in the unlikely event there was, it would wash out. The treatment that they put on fabric before shipping is not healthy....they are treated with bug repellents and stiffiners to keep them looking nice. That's why we always want to prewash fabric before using it.

Really....none of what I'm reading about bamboo comes as any surprise.

Last edited by Chey; 08-20-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote