Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Diaper rash (not really CD related)

Okay mommas... I need some advice. Elisabeth has a virus (I think) and has icky nasty runs because of it (though they are getting a little more solid now!). Anyway, I'm not worried about the virus, but her "poop" is causing a NASTY dipe rash. I'm changing her every hour and a half, and using balmex (with liners in the dipes to protect the dipes!) And I've switched her from the pocket dipes to fitteds/prefolds with wool covers to allow as much air as possible to get to her bum. I can't let her go naked, she is ALL OVER the place! LOL Is there ANYTHING else any of you can think of? They have a WBV Wednesday and I'd LIKE to have it more cleared up so the doctor doesn't make a big deal out of it.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: Diaper rash (not really CD related)

If it's raised red patches it could be yeast. I've heard probiotics work well for that. Good luck!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
mary.margaret
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probiotics (like acidophilus) work great whether it's yeast or not! Or lots of yogurt. If it is yeast you might need to use some over the counter yeast cream (clortrimazole - like for athlete's foot).

Try putting a prefold on not folded (going down the legs) with pins or a snappi. No cover. That catches the flood of pee but you'll see as soon as it's wet and be able to change it right away. Plus maximum amount of air gets to the bum!

I also would try no Balmex for a day or two except maybe at night. Sometimes it just keeps the moisture near their skin instead of letting it dry and heal. Use a powder instead at every change - just rub the excess off so that it doesn't cake. (and be careful not to inhale it!)

California Baby Powder is the BEST product I have ever had for diaper rashes. You can order it or some local health food stores carry it (you could call around). Tea tree oil and lavendar (natural antibacterial and antifungal properties) and clays to really keep the moisture at bay.

Also put her bum in the bath at every poopy change - just for a few minutes - to make sure it gets really clean.

Those are my recommendations from having two kids with open, bleeding rashes for months! (until we switched to cloth and tried the above, that is!)

Good luck!
Mary-Margaret

Last edited by mary.margaret; 01-07-2007 at 04:06 PM.
mary.margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome, thanks mamas!! I'll start working on those tomorrow!! I'm already seeing SOME improvement, I guess the frequent changing and fitteds/prefolds are helping a bit! Don't know about the Balmex LOL. I ususally use Burt's Bees, but we're out and and I don't know anywhere around here to buy more!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
CRosewhisper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad things are getting better. I have a brand new tube of Burt's Bees diaper cream that I know I will not use. You're welcome to it. I'm in NE Indiana so it shouldn't take too long to get there. PM me if you're interested.