Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

COW v/s SOY milk for 1 year old

It seems most people here give cow's milk to their babies when weaning much more often than soy milk. (some give rice milk but I'm unfamiliar with that.)

What is the reasoning behind giving cow's milk instead of soy?

I have started to offer DS soy milk (in addition to breast milk) simply b/c I compared and found organic unsweetened soy milk to equal or exceed whole cow's milk in all areas: protein, iron, calcium content, vitamins, etc.

Has anyone heard/read anything about naturally occuring estrogens in soy milk and how they might not be very beneficial to boys?

Am I missing something on the benefits of cow's milk over soy? I know it's a more common mainstream practice to offer cow's milk, but why?

Advertisement

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
squirtymomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: COW v/s SOY milk for 1 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Has anyone heard/read anything about naturally occuring estrogens in soy milk and how they might not be very beneficial to boys?
My understanding is that the estrogens in soy milk can be harmful in large quantities. Because babies are so small and milk tends to be a relatively large part of their diet, they are more susceptible (sp?) to damage from it. It's been a long time since I looked into it, but I do remember that the numbers were big enough that I was determined not to give my babies soy formula or soy milk.

From http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/25/soy_milk.htm:
"A soy-fed baby receives the equivalent of five birth control pills' worth of estrogen daily."

Yikes!

Old DS fb: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=1800.0
squirtymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was allergic to dairy & couldnt tolerate lactose free formula either so we have been giving her soy milk since 1yr, we are now slowly switching to lactaid. My 5yr old is still lactose intolerant & drinks lactaid. So we do it just because of food issues
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
my3punkins2005
Banned
seller

my person experence has been that soy milk before and after 1 yr seems to be linked with allergies..that is my own person experence with friends of mine and my oldest child my other 2 boys were ebf untill 1 yr old and then given limited organic milk maybe a glass or 2 a day(with cereal or in the evening but then i do not do bottles either we do eat lots of cheese and yogert here!) as really to tell you the truth we don't need milk as cow's milk was made for baby cows (all this drink milk thing is for big business dairys that are not humane)..if eating the proper diet a child can get protien and vitamins from food and vitamin supplements..just one all natural organic mom ideas would love to hear other's
my3punkins2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Goat's milk is supposed to be pretty good for little ones DS really likes it.. DD is too young for milk still.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i quit drinking soy milk, ds used to drink it but now he wont. i switched to org cows milk now but david wont drink at all so he is on fortified oj now.
i heard about the levels of estrogen and scared me so i quit
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Goat's milk is the next best thing to breast milk.

Soy milk has another concern that I did not see mentioned in my quick skimming (so I apologize if I overlooked it). Lots of soy products in your diet can inhibit the absorbtion of iron and lead to iron-deficient anemia (I had that problem years ago). For this reason and the concerns with estrogen, we use rice milk for our 3 year old who is lactose intolerant. We use a combination of rice milk and organic whole milk for our 15 month old (to get whatever vitamins and minerals and especially the fat good for brain development that is not found in rice milk).

We used goat's milk for my 15 month old when I had to wean him for medical reasons at 7 months. (He refused formula and I did not want him having formula, so we tried goat's milk and he loved it!) He had goat's milk until age 1 and we switched to the organic whole milk and rice milk because goat's milk is so expensive!
smapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do goats milk too. We do use soy milk for all the cooking though because it is less expensive. I think I remember hearing that too much soy at too early of an age can cause allergies? But I'm not positive. We love goat milk though. Meyenberg will send coupons from there website.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
bethn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...I'll definitely have to do some reading. DD has been drinking soy milk since she weaned at 20 months (now 6 yrs old). She drinks about 8-12 oz a day at most, some days none at all. She gets most of her calcium from yogurt and cheese, plus some fortified OJ. My DH also drinks soy milk, as does most of his family. I'm the only one to drink regular milk (organic) although I don't even drink a quart a week.

DS is almost one but I don't plan to start milk (any type) until he weans at some undetermined time in the future. Just like his sister he'll get his calcium from cheese and yogurt. But I'll definitely be reading up on the estrogen issue. Lots to think about...
bethn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterBun
Goat's milk is supposed to be pretty good for little ones DS really likes it.. DD is too young for milk still.
I agree! Goats milk is very digestable. I've seen it at the grocery before. It does taste different so if your baby is used to cow milk you may need to slowly switch.

My ds is allergic to soy. I used to think that soy is good. In small quantities I would agree, but I would absolutely not use soy in place of milk daily.

Soy is in practically everything you buy and there's conflicting reports that it isn't that great for you after all. I'm beginning to wonder if food companies get a kickback or something for using it. It is cheap, has a better shelf life than other foods and mixes easily. In my mind we get enough soy without realizing it.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote