Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: COW v/s SOY milk for 1 year old

I agree with Smapple, I've read the same things.
Does anyone know where to buy goat's milk?

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I read somewhere that giving little ones excessive soy MIGHT lead to a peanut allergy..... I wish I coudl remember the study.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
Mom2Mia
Registered Users

We do soy in our home - the baby is allergic to dairy so cow's milk is out...it also seriously aggrivated her eczema. My oldest daughter has serious allergies also and lactose intolerance. We haven't tried goats milk - but the pediatrician recommended soy when Mia weaned at 14 months so that's what we do. 8th Continent is our prefered brand.
Mom2Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read a study years ago that soy products could cause hormone issues (hypothyroidism, etc). I switched dd #2 to lactose free at that time (she was 8mos). My oldest dd was on soy formula for a year and then was able to tolerate cows milk, but then started having thyroid issues. I asked her endocrinologist about what I read last year (because dd #3 was on soy & cant tolerate lactose free either) & she said it wasnt true. It was thought at the time but it had been 5yrs since I read the study. So dd #1 inherited it from my side of the family (I am hypo as well as my cousin). DD #3 is slowly switching to lactaid from soy milk right now. DD #2 still drinks lactaid
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

Well, I"ve decided to offer organic cow's milk along with some soy milk and continue with yogurt and cheese for calcium. (DS loves yogurt w/TOTAL cereal for breakfast!)

At 1 yr. check up pediatrician (who is about to retire so he has seen a lot of food trends come and go) said soy is a high allergen and he would opt for cow's milk UNLESS DS has allergy to cow's milk. He said soy milk and tofu were fine as part of a widely varied diet, but wouldn't exclusively give soy milk instead of cow's milk. I didn't ask about other milks (goat, rice, etc.)

So, here I go changing my mind/plan again!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For DS who is 2 I do soy and rice milk. But I started when he was 2. I give him little bits of each and other sources of calcium throughout the day (cheese, yogurt and calcium OJ) I am part of the group who thinks cows milk is for baby cows and not for humans. I also and some might not agree with this give DS expressed breastmilk that I pumped for DD (who won't take a bottle). He doesn't BF anymore but I love that he will drink it from a cup and still gets the good antibodies. But this is rare.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 18 month old showed lactose sensitivity so we were told to use Lactose free milk... we asked about Soy milk but they recommended we dont use it due to all the stuff about estrogen in it now.
He is still breastfed and doesnt get much milk besides mine but when he does get a cup of milk it is lactose free milk. I have never seen goats milk around here... just soy, and the different versions of cows milk.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab
my 18 month old showed lactose sensitivity so we were told to use Lactose free milk... we asked about Soy milk but they recommended we dont use it due to all the stuff about estrogen in it now.
He is still breastfed and doesnt get much milk besides mine but when he does get a cup of milk it is lactose free milk. I have never seen goats milk around here... just soy, and the different versions of cows milk.
My local Fred Meyer store has goat milk in the natural foods section, as well as goat milk formula.

You might also check if there's any available locally....
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
Ginamcf
Registered Users

My Mood:

With ds #1 I was still nursing at the 12 month mark so what I did was nurse 2 times a day give one cup of organic cows milk and one cup of soy milk a day. That way he got enough milk all together but not all of one thing. I think variety is really important!
Soy is a common allergen but don't forget that dairy is on that same list! My older guy has had perfect attendance for 3 years now in public school!! He is the only one in our family so far that shows no signs of air-borne or food allergy.
With ds #2 I plan to nurse several times a day and at daycare he will get one cup of cows milk with lunch and then for home cups we will use goats milk or soy. That way he gets that same variety that my first one got. My second one nurses so much that I am sure home cups of milk are a long time away even though he is about to be 1.
Mommy to Ian (10), Gavin (3) and #3 due 3/09.
Ginamcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #20
2lilmonkeys
Registered Users

I read several studies a couple years ago that showed calcium is better absorbed from cows milk than from soy. Most of the articles and studies I've come across have stated that if their is no known allergy or sensitivity to cows milk and no family history of allergies to milk, then cows milk is probably a better option than soy as far as absorbsion vitamins, minerals and protein. I imagine that would apply to goats milk as well. There are also (conflicting) studies about the safety of soy in large amounts. We drink organic cows milk in our family...We do eat loads of soy products like tofu so its not like we avoid soy by any stretch. But with the large amount of milk my daughter drinks, I feel a little more comfortable with cows milk over soy.

Amy
2lilmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote