Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
punkinbaby
Registered Users
Formerly: vegaslibra
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homebirth mama's a ? for you

I would just go ahead and order a birth kit just in case you can get them for around $30 and it would be worth it to have peace of mind and just in case you decide you don't want to go in.

http://www.radiantbelly.com/babys1stday.html

Advertisement

punkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think anyone was being negative. We just want you to know the seriousness of the situation. I'm sure we could help you find a home birth attendant if you want one.

You are just a little late in the game to be making a switch like that without the proper research. I'm also concerned about your provider calling Child Services on you for not going to the hospital after the fact.

It is totally different planning UC from the beginning.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and FTR, my BFF has had 2 UCs and I totally support her decision to do so.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
Old 08-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
The nurses would NOT let me move during a contraction at all because the fetal monitor would act up. It was very uncomfortable and ended up with epidurals after 10 hours of not being allowed to labor naturally by changing position etc. I just don't wan tto do it again. this was with military hospital in which i did have a midwife but they are so busy they don't show up untill catch time.

Now, we have just moved to a new area, my hometown in Maine. there are NO midwives around, the hospital is 30 miles away and the closest ambulance station is 30 miles away. I'm not planning on having it at home, just doinng most of the laboring at home, and if laboring naturally speeds up the process and I happen to have it at home I was just asking some q's. All my labors have been 13+ hours so I'm not all that worried about making it to the hospital in time, however sometimes you don't follow your previous pattern and a baby is born a bit quicker, my mom had my sis in 2 hrs and held her in on the way to the hospital, she was baby #2 me (#1) and Bro (#3) were 22 and 15 hours....

I AM a former EMT and was qualified in delieveries and I do know what to do, just not what to have around as we had a "delievery kit" abord the ambulance. And I know I can tie off with string etc. I was just wondering if I should go ahead and buy a kit "in case" I do deliver at home.

I know mama's here have had babies at home with just them and thier families and wanted some advice from experienced mamas, mostly about documentation.

Why the negativity?
You just moved to a brand new area- how do you know it'll be the same hell you went through before? Wouldn't it be a different hospital with an all new staff? I'm merely asking questions, hoping to help you think things out before you make a brash decision that could potentially harm both you and your baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
I don't think anyone was being negative. We just want you to know the seriousness of the situation. I'm sure we could help you find a home birth attendant if you want one.

You are just a little late in the game to be making a switch like that without the proper research. I'm also concerned about your provider calling Child Services on you for not going to the hospital after the fact.

It is totally different planning UC from the beginning.
Precisely.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop

Last edited by KumfyKozies; 08-24-2009 at 10:00 PM.
KumfyKozies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add that it was this in particular that worries me:
Quote:
Also, when and how did you cut the cord, did you buy a kit etc?
If you were truly trained and educated in homebirth or birthing, you would know the answer to that.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look into a HB midwife if you are wanting to go that route.

Here are a few links to help you find one. They are around.
http://midwivesofmaine.homestead.com/1.html
http://www.opencirclemidwifery.org/
http://morningstarmidwifery.com/
http://www.sacopeemidwives.org/

There are a ton more links I can get you. It would help to know where in Maine you are.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #16
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

I would recommend doing some research before potentially letting anything happen. I was totally with you until you asked about the cord. Being that both you and hubby have "extensive" training it shouldn't really be a question IMO.
If you want a kit get one.....you can never be to prepared.
Please look into this though
Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #17
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I took the cord question as just asking for stories of how long people waited and whether they clamped or tied, etc., since that's a common question on this board anyway. ???
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #18
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I took the cord question as just asking for stories of how long people waited and whether they clamped or tied, etc., since that's a common question on this board anyway. ???
But not from someone contemplating UC a few weeks from her due date. That is a VERY normal question when learning about birth etc. But as she said, she is trained to deliver babies... but she doesn't know the answer to that.

I was giving my honest opinion that UC is not something that should be done on a whim. If you don't know the basics on how to tie or cut a cord, (net even necessarily the when to do so), and you don't have adiqute time to learn about it, then you are not a strong candidate for doing a UC in only a few weeks.

People who are uneducated and uninformed about birth and safety of home birth are the ones that make it harder for the rest of us to push for the right to UC, or HB.

I wish her the best, and was offering help to her to find a MW so she can HB, and not have to experience the same thing she did in her previous birth again.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm not arguing with you at all, I just realized that I took her question differently.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #20
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I'm not arguing with you at all, I just realized that I took her question differently.
LOL, I'm just usually on the other end defending the choices to UC