Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homebirth mama's a ? for you

From what I can tell this is you doing your research. DS has a lot of homebirth mama's and UC mama's that are excellent resources. Also it doesn't seem to me that you are trying to plan anything except for an emergency situation. If anything I think you are being responsible in preparing for all potential outcomes. Good for you!

That being said here is MY answers to your questions:

Since it doesn't appear that you are trying to avoid the hospital at all costs (just limit your time there) I would not worry about spending the money on the cord clap kit. You can keep baby attached to the placenta/cord until it falls off so that should give you plenty of time to get to the hossy without having to worry about it. Plus once you get to the hossy they can get you the paperwork for the birth certificate and ss card.

With proper research it is never too late in the game to change your plan, IMO. What if your current doc did something totally horrible last min in your pregancy and you had to change docs?

If you ARE interested in doing a home birth I am sure that the ladies on here can find someone in your area or who is willing to commute. I considered doing a UC, but frankly I didn't want to worry about doing all the "medical" stuff myself (which basically amounted to checking fetal heart tones and dealing with the placenta). If there was an emergency I don't think that *I* would be in the proper state to deal with it having just given birth. Having a trained 3rd person there is a load off as long as they are respecting your natural birth wishes which most MWs do.

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #22
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_99833 View Post
From what I can tell this is you doing your research. DS has a lot of homebirth mama's and UC mama's that are excellent resources. Also it doesn't seem to me that you are trying to plan anything except for an emergency situation. If anything I think you are being responsible in preparing for all potential outcomes. Good for you!
Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .
dornmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm108 View Post
Contact Barbara Herrera. She is a homebirth midwife in CA and can probably find one near you.
lol, I'm iMaine now, we just movedhaven't changed my location on DS yet...
Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #24
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBLayaw View Post
You just moved to a brand new area- how do you know it'll be the same hell you went through before? Wouldn't it be a different hospital with an all new staff? I'm merely asking questions, hoping to help you think things out before you make a brash decision that could potentially harm both you and your baby.

Precisely.
I moved back to my hometown, the doc I have now is the same one that delivered my bro 18 yrs ago. It's where my entire family has had thier children all with similar experiences that I had in CA. I know the area well and everyone in it. My little sister was just born 6 months ago (dad's 3rd marriage, he just turned 46 last week, we usually have our kids young here).

If I had the baby during the day and because I labored at home and didn't feel like I could make it to the hospital, the clinic where I'm seen is 5 miles away (they service several towns here). They have an emergency entrance for laboring women, hear attack and stroke cases. There are 4 MD's (the ones that rotate in the ER and on call for L&D) and 6 nurse practitioners.

My aunt brought up a concern that if I wait, I may not be able to make it to the hospital in time, so I figured I'd ask some Q's and get responses for myself and her. As an EMT we were told to immediatly clamp and cut, when i asked why they said the baby could bleed to death, even tho I thought that was a falsity, especially after having my own and waiting untill the cord stopped pulsating to cut, thus the clamping question.

I just want to make sure I have ALL bases covered so I am comfortable, being comfortable (make any sence?). We've also talked about going and getting a hotel room next to the hospital when I think I'm in labor (could get expensive with false labors tho), we'd have to see what we can afford in a couple months.

The only reason I want to go to a hospital or clinic is because there are no other options here and still have ahealth care provider make sure baby and I are doing good.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I took the cord question as just asking for stories of how long people waited and whether they clamped or tied, etc., since that's a common question on this board anyway. ???
exactly!

I waited in hospitals, but as I said in a previous post, my EMT instructors told us to "immediatly clamp and cut" and wanted an opinion as to wheather I should have a kit "just in case" or if everyone here thought it would be unnessesarry.

We were trained how to stretch the parineium, apply gentle downward pressure to ease the head out and to gently help twist the sholders out. If a cord is wrapped tightly around the neck you stop the pushing, clamp the cord and cut there (if you can't unwrap it by hand if it's too tight) tell mom to push a little, unwind it then continue the delivery.

All of which I would not be doing since I'm the one delivering...
Old 08-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
LOL, I'm just usually on the other end defending the choices to UC
I guess I should hve worded my OP differently, bascally I'm not planning on UC'ing I'm planning on going to the hospital once I feel I am ready to go not once my contractions are 30 min apart (like doc wants).

If I wait and labor comes fast, I want to be prepared. HB mama's when did YOU decide to cut the cord? Did you have a kit, is it worth it to get one "just in case" and what about documentation if you delivered at home without a provider.

I'm VERY tired. Dh is working nites so I'm up late sewing and up early off to the library to keep the kids quiet while he sleeps, so my wording was all wrong.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #27
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Mama, please don't feel like you have to defend yourself. Your situation and reasoning makes perfect sense to me. You are allowed to change your mind and your heart at any time during your pregnancy - that's your perogative. I think trying to find the answers to your questions NOW as opposed to when you've just accidentally had a baby on your bathroom floor and are frantic on the phone with 9-1-1 is a great idea. Also, just b/c you "were" an EMT doesn't mean you "ARE" an EMT - two totally different things. An OB who delivers babies day in and day out will know for sure how to cut/clamp a cord. Someone who had experience years before and maybe never even had to use it... they might need a refresher. So, please don't feel bad for asking questions. You are doing he right hting seeking information, whether you decide to have your baby at home purposefully or not.

I wish I could be more help. I had an accidental UC - my MW didn't make it in time and my son was born before she arrived. My DH caught him. But she walked in maybe 5 mins later and she took care of the cord. Had she not been there, and we were going it alone, I believe the proper steps would be to tie it off tightly and then cut it after it stops pulsating. However, that is just from my memory of how to do it and is definately not based on any medical experience of my own.

Perhaps you could do some more research at the library or on some trustworthy informative UC sites?

Best wishes mama.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
exactly!

I waited in hospitals, but as I said in a previous post, my EMT instructors told us to "immediatly clamp and cut" and wanted an opinion as to wheather I should have a kit "just in case" or if everyone here thought it would be unnessesarry.

ITA now! My husband is "required" to follow the same protocol in emergency
childbirth (he's in EMS as well) even though he disagrees with it in most cases.

FWIW, my best friend made the choice to switch to UC at the very end of her pregnancy, and it was one of the best decisions they ever made and it worked out beautifully.

Last edited by 1blessedmama; 08-25-2009 at 02:38 PM.
1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #29
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_99833 View Post

That being said here is MY answers to your questions:

Since it doesn't appear that you are trying to avoid the hospital at all costs (just limit your time there) I would not worry about spending the money on the cord clap kit. You can keep baby attached to the placenta/cord until it falls off so that should give you plenty of time to get to the hossy without having to worry about it. Plus once you get to the hossy they can get you the paperwork for the birth certificate and ss card.

With proper research it is never too late in the game to change your plan, IMO. What if your current doc did something totally horrible last min in your pregancy and you had to change docs?

If you ARE interested in doing a home birth I am sure that the ladies on here can find someone in your area or who is willing to commute. I considered doing a UC, but frankly I didn't want to worry about doing all the "medical" stuff myself (which basically amounted to checking fetal heart tones and dealing with the placenta). If there was an emergency I don't think that *I* would be in the proper state to deal with it having just given birth. Having a trained 3rd person there is a load off as long as they are respecting your natural birth wishes which most MWs do.

TY! i should have worded the OP differently, I've amended that. I thinnk you got what I was trying to get at (in a very awkward way).

I wish there were more options here, but then again that's why we moved to the booney's to get away from all the hussle and bustle.
I may be able to find a MW in Bar Harbor, quick boat ride, LONG land ride from where I'm from, but the thing there is I can't afford it. If I could have I would have planned a HB from the begining. My insurance (when it wants to cover anything) will cover my doc and the hospital, that's it. If there was a local MW in my area, it would probably be a realitive or a freind of a relative ,lol, and it would be easy to have her there which ever way I chose without having to worry about a huge bill. As it is my insurance told me I was covered July 1st when DH retired fromthe Navy so I made an appointment and had an ultrasound, then got a letter stating that they were not covering untill Aug 1st and now just the blood work and pap alone is over $700, I don't even want to see the US bill
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #30
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
I don't think anyone was being negative. We just want you to know the seriousness of the situation. I'm sure we could help you find a home birth attendant if you want one.

You are just a little late in the game to be making a switch like that without the proper research. I'm also concerned about your provider calling Child Services on you for not going to the hospital after the fact.

It is totally different planning UC from the beginning.

Is this normally a concern for home births?
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote