Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

Re: What age did you start time outs?

we dont do time out. We do redirection, as well as talking about feelings, why thats not okay, etc. I say: "It makes me sad when you dump out all your toys, help mommy pick them up" a couple times a week. Thats about the worst behavior we have here Sometimes she's a little to rough with the babies, but that just gets use your nice hands, or I'll take her hand and rub it gently as I'm saying it. If she makes a mess, she helps clean it up, and we always get a big hug when we're through. Sorry for rambling

Advertisement

libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
gabesmama
Registered Users

We started time-outs "together" at about 15 months, as in, I'd sit him on my lap for a minute or so, and talk to him about how what he was doing wasn't okay, and that it's fine to have a time-out to help you remember to be kind/gentle/listen etc.. Eventually, Jack started giving himself time-outs when he felt he needed it . I remember my DH's face when he came home, and Jack was lying on his bed quietly. DH asked him what he was up to, and Jack replied "I'm crusty, so I gave myself a time-out." Priceless! To remember, though, is to make sure that you don't go past the minute-per-year rule: 2 minutes for a 2 year-old, three for a 3-year old etc.. It's appropriate to their level of attention and development that way.
gabesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

We started at 2 for my older two kiddos. Maybe even a few months before.

And yes, they sat there and waited for the timer
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started "assisted" time outs around 15 months - I would remove her from the situation causing the problem and sit with her, explain what the problem was, why she was in time out, and how she should act next time. She's 18 months old now and does understand what time out means.

I also follow a "three strikes" rule - I will ask nicely for something to be done three times - "We're going bye-bye, let's put your coat on." I'll use slightly different wording for the first part - the part to appeal to her desires (go outside, so look at fishies in the pet store, go get yummy food at the grocery), then the same request (so we need to put your coat on). On the third request, I'll follow it up with a "last chance". If she still won't comply, I will gently and cheerfully "help" her comply - sometimes she kicks and screams, but I try not to let it escalate MY responses.

Last chance works wonders here and eliminates a lot of potential conflicts by letting her choose to behave and letting her understand, foresee, and avoid negative consequences. Example - we were at the library - we go to the children's section first to pick out a board book she can look at while I'm picking out my books. We don't check out board books, tho - she keeps it all through checkout, then I ask her to give it to the librarian and explain it's "her" book - 1st two times she scowled and hugged the book close, third time, after last chance, she happily handed it over.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
myjulylily
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really didn't start TOs with Lily until she was around 2. Before that, redirection seemed to work really well. We only do TOs at this age for hitting or kicking. If she is throwing toys, the toys go in "time out". For anything else like tantrums or whining/yelling, it usually just gets ignored
myjulylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #16
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We started with Andy at 18 mo. It was more for our sanity than his correction! We still use time-outs but Andy (who's the most active kid I've ever seen without being hyperactive) is usually in one once every couple of days. Andy is now almost 2.5 yrs. old. Time-outs work REALLY well for him.
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
A'smommy
Registered Users

18 mos.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
sienna
Registered Users

way too young. check out

http://www.naturalchild.org/advice/

S

Last edited by sienna; 01-09-2007 at 06:41 PM.
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #19
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started around 19mths! He understands that he has to sit there b/c he has done something wrong. He time he sits in time out is according to his age...so now he is almost 2, so he sits for around 2min!
I do this instead of spanking. It doesn't work as well as spanking....but I feel better doing it like this! You just to be consistant with what discipline you choose!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #20
jodi5
Registered Users

You know, for my oldest timeouts did not work for a long time. I have a friend that they worked for her starting at about 15 months but they did nothing for my son. We didn't use them with him until he was about 4 years old. Before that, if I tried a timeout he would get upset in timeout and then once he came out, he immediately would go do the same thing again so it just wasn't working. He is very good most of the time and I found a change in activity or distraction worked best. So far, I haven't done anything with Carter other than distraction but he hasn't needed anything yet, he is only 14 months old so doesn't do anything to warrant a time out yet. He is a happy kid that likes to sit (or walk) and play.