Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
bubby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rotovirus Boosters???

I am just now getting wise to the dangers of vaccinations, now that my ds is 5 mo. (better late than never, I guess). He has had all of his shots up to this point (his last shots were given at his 4mo checkup). As I assumed before this point that the doctors are giving my son vaxx he NEEDS, I agreed to the rotovirus oral vaxx as well , because the nurse said he should get it. This vaxx comes in three oral doses, he has only had the first dose. So here is my question...is there ANY reason he should get the rest of the doses of the rotovirus vaxx? Would it hurt him to just stop where we are with this, (and the rest of the vaxx) until I can educate myself properly on the risks? I do understand that I can delay vaccinations. My question is mainly about the rotovirus vaxx and if the fact that he already has a dose in his system warrants the giving of the other two doses.

Advertisement

Loving mama to Nikki(13),Sage(9), Evan(3) and Baby #4 (due 8/13/10)
bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rotovirus Boosters???

I think this would be the same as any vax and you would do no harm not having the follow up boosters. IF at sometime you want to continue with this series they could probably check his titres and see if he's developed an immunity- it's quite possible that he'll get it naturally as well and that will build his natural immunity which in most cases will provide better protection.

Hopefully someone else will have more info, MDC probably has some great information on it as well
beanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's fine to stop where you are. Why add more Bad stuff to his system? It won't harm him to not continue.. it would probably do him some good.

From what I understand the Oral ones aren't as bad as injections, but I wouldn't Quote me. You'd think i'd know after 5 years of researching, but I haven't paid much attention to the "newer" ones.

If you think about it, if he stopped at 4 months old, Basically all the shots he's had aren't finished. So why is this one not able to be finished? right??

Think about it this way.. sometimes it takes a couple bee stings before you find out your allergic to them. It's the same with the shots. Sometimes there's no reaction or a tiny reaction that no one thinks about again, but they can get worse. I wouldn't chance it.

good luck with your research.

I second the people on the vaccination board at MDC.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

I didn't know they actually still gave the rotavirus vax. Let me see what I can find on that one.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought rotavirus was discontinued?? I haven't had dd vaxed yet (waiting till 2) so haven't kept up with the infant requirements...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
bubby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the help, I will check out MDC . And with his four month shots he did have a fever and acted like he felt horrible. I mean, that's a reaction right? Not an all out reaction, but a reaction all the same?
Loving mama to Nikki(13),Sage(9), Evan(3) and Baby #4 (due 8/13/10)
bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The old roto was stopped because of bowel impactions. The new one came out, I want to say 6 months ago. I have opted not to get it, and that is coming from a mom who's ds wad hospitalized because of rotovirus.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good to know, thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, a new Rotavirus vax called rota-teq was licensed in 2006. IIRC in June. There have been a few reports of the same problems as what caused the prior rota vax to be pulled from the market - bowel intusseption, but they appear to not be as widespread. There is also another rotavirus vax in clinical trials from a different manufacturer that will likely be approved this year. I don't know much about it though, although it's possible it could also have the same problems - it seems to be a complication of how the intestines respond to the modified virus. Worthy of noting is that rota teq trials only followed vaccine recipients for 14 days following the dose, so if a baby was hospitalized on day 15 with bowel intusseption, even if it was caused by the vaccine, it would not have been included in the information submitted to the FDA.

The rotavirus vaccine is a live oral vaccine given at 2, 4 and 6 mos. It is excreted in the stool of vaccinated babies following vaccination and can be transferred the same way as if the baby actually had rotavirus. Immunity from the 3 dose vaccination series is expected to last until sometime between the ages of 3 and 5, at which time it is expected that kids will still naturally contract rotavirus but that they won't be at risk for dehydration and hospitalization. Following an oral dose of vaccine babies may experience vomitting and diarrhea for 3 or 4 days afterwards. Basically a mild case of rotavirus. This is likely to happen after each dose is given.

To the OP, I would stop now. There are no vaxes that you must absolutely finish once you start and there is the potential for cumulative harm. So take some time, do your research, and then decide. And I also agree with going to the MDC vax board. Lots of knowledgable moms that can help point you to good places to start your research.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
shell015
Banned
seller

This one was taken off the market and is now back on because of complications. I chose to let me son have it because I know of many babies that did not have it and got really sick. The virus is the no. 1 killer of babies under 2 in the world. If you choose to put off the rest ok.. But pleaaaassseee don't put off this one especially if you have gotten one dose and know it won't affect your ds already.

DS had the vaccine and never had any kind of loose stool or throwing up after it. He has never had any stomach flu of any sort. I realize that it is on a per child basis, but if you child didn't have bad effects I would say go on with this one.

Last edited by shell015; 01-09-2007 at 02:24 AM.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote