Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:31 AM   #11
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rotovirus Boosters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell015 View Post
This one was taken off the market and is now back on because of complications. I chose to let me son have it because I know of many babies that did not have it and got really sick. The virus is the no. 1 killer of babies under 2 in the world. If you choose to put off the rest ok.. But pleaaaassseee don't put off this one especially if you have gotten one dose and know it won't affect your ds already.
This vaccine was originally taken off the market because of causing death in a number of babies and others having to have major surgery - ie having a piece of bowel removed due to the intusseption the vaccine had caused.

The vaccine currently available is a new vaccine, reformulated and different from the first. The original was not put back on the market and never will be. Unfortunately many babies do die from rotavirus world wide, but these are babies who are malnourished and do not have access to medical care. The rotavirus vaccine is not one that having it will prevent kids in 3rd world countries from getting rotavirus. And kids with access to quality medical care only very very rarely die from it.

All children by age 5 will show immunity to at least 1 of the 3 types of rotavirus according to the CDC. This is an illness that every child gets, and while some in North America are hospitalized for dehydration, pretty much all of them recover uneventfully. Rotavirus is not a huge killer of children in north america. Period.

And this vaccine is not intended to target older age groups. It is purposefully trying to move the illness out of the infant/toddler group into preschool/kindergarten kids so that it minimizes the risks of dehydration and hospitalization. It is recognized that the immunity wears off and that it only seems to offer about an 80% protection rate even at the 24mo mark - ie 18 mos after the 3rd dose.

Advertisement

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell015 View Post
This one was taken off the market and is now back on because of complications. I chose to let me son have it because I know of many babies that did not have it and got really sick. The virus is the no. 1 killer of babies under 2 in the world. If you choose to put off the rest ok.. But pleaaaassseee don't put off this one especially if you have gotten one dose and know it won't affect your ds already.

DS had the vaccine and never had any kind of loose stool or throwing up after it. He has never had any stomach flu of any sort. I realize that it is on a per child basis, but if you child didn't have bad effects I would say go on with this one.
We are talking babies in the "civilized world" here. With things like doctors and IVs should you get very sick. The rest of the world is a whole other thing really. Again, my ds was admitted to the hospital for roto. Any day I'll take an IV over bowel removal or death from impaction.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I was part of a parenting board and 2 or 3 years ago there was an insane outbreak of the rotovirus throughout the board, all the kids were absolutely fine. It's a horrible virus, no fun to have sick kids, but as long as you're not in a third world country, your child's chances of dying are incredibly small! It's just like a really horrible stomach bug.

Stop the vaxes until you can research more. You can always start them up again. My DS has his two month and hasn't had any since. He won't be getting any more before he's 2 and even then, I'm not sure we'll be doing them.

Last edited by JustAugust; 01-09-2007 at 12:56 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
jodi74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had the new roto virus vaccine at his 6 month check. He was hospitalized for intusseption. Coincidence? Maybe? I wish I had known of the possibility. My son is still stick and not recupperating well almost a week later.
jodi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well now I know yet another vax we will NOT be getting.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

when did they come out with this vax? My kids are 4, 5 & 8 and I have never heard of it. I know they haven't had it either(vax or virus)