Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is anyone else here a Foodie?

There's lots of talk about cost efefctive meal planning and fast and easy dinners and I do all that, too...kinda have to. But if I had more money and ore time I would eat very differently.

Anyone else?

Advertisement

FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is anyone else here a Foodie?

Oh boy, if I had more $$ and more time on my hands I'd never have a "quick and easy" meal. I absolutely LOVE to cook! People at the supermarket probably think I'm nuts. I sit and sniff, feel, play with the produce before I decide on what to buy. I wish fresh produce wasn't so $$ because we'd have a lot more of it. Ah, to be rich!
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell me about it. And when summer rolls around and all the produce is fresh I am in heaven.
I prefer making my pasta sauce from scratch. I prefer making just about anything from scratch.
I nannied for a family and she is the same way and was a total enabler. She gave me my Cuisinart for Christmas one year. She has since quit her job (why I no longer nanny for them) and she does some catering. I get the best recipes from her.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I'm a total foodie,I love to invent,tinker and perfect my own recipes. I think I just hit on a winner last night,and it totally made my week
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
LindusandGrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ooooooo i love love love cooking!! I'm a definate foodie! i love to gracoery shop, cook and eat!! (thank goodness for the gym)
LindusandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

i actually find that the quick and easy stuff is often more expensive than cooking from scratch

i buy in bulk whenever i can. like i can get flour at the mennonite market here in town for like 1/5 of what it costs at the grocery store. same with rice, pasta, all kinds of stuff. and it's good quality stuff made with whole grains. i also love to make my own pasta sauce, so i buy the tomatoes and paste in bulk at Costco, and then make big batches and freeze it so there's always some on hand. for the same cost as maybe 1 or 2 jars at the store, i can make enough pasta sauce to fill at least 10 jars if not more. we also buy meat in bulk - from a local farm. we split a 1/2 a cow with two other families and filled our freezer with delicious fresh grassfed beef, and it was a fraction of the price of buying it by the piece even at someplace like Costco. and the quality doesn't even compare.

and during the summer we buy whatever we can at farmer's markets - it's soooo much cheaper than the grocery store, and the quality is 1000x better. last summer i was lazy and bought some tomatoes at the grocery store after eating farm fresh ones for 2 months and nobody would eat them. they were beautiful looking, mealy and tasteless. blech.

not to say we never do quick and easy... i have Kraft mac and cheese in my cupboard and we eat it for lunch pretty often... mostly just saying that if you buy smart on some of the basics, then you have $$ left over to buy the awesome cheese or the fancy fruit or whatever and not feel the least bit guilty about it
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
i actually find that the quick and easy stuff is often more expensive than cooking from scratch

not to say we never do quick and easy... i have Kraft mac and cheese in my cupboard and we eat it for lunch pretty often... mostly just saying that if you buy smart on some of the basics, then you have $$ left over to buy the awesome cheese or the fancy fruit or whatever and not feel the least bit guilty about it
I have to make Hamburger Helper for my DH as a treat every once and awhile. He lovesa it. I'd never had it until I met him.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
Paulette
Registered Users
seller

I really should be a foodie, since I have a Culinary Degree, but Mac & Cheese from the blue box is too easy.
Now Testing for Eye Pillows.....http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=504751

Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
jessmomto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
I really should be a foodie, since I have a Culinary Degree, but Mac & Cheese from the blue box is too easy.
oh no joke I am a culinary major and we eat kraft mac n cheese LMAO! my kids like anything cheesy and covered in ketchup. I should say that mostly our food is kid friendly and healthy mostly...kids dont appreciate gourmet food lol!

Jess momma to
Skyler 1/03, patrick 4/04, Nattie 8/05 Elliot 2/07
jessmomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote