Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
LoriT02
Banned

My Mood:
Rant ...

I just have to get this off my mind.

I went back to work around Thanksgiving after DS was born and have been pumping at work since then. I'm now pg so maybe this is all hormonal maybe not.

Since I've been back, it seams like someone complains to HR or HR complains to my manager at least once every week about something involving my pumping. I'm trying to be understanding but...
It used to be how I cleaned the parts, people did not want to see the parts at any time and especially not in the kitchen (OSHA helped me on that one ~ the complainer had called them)
Then it was well you can't leave your pump in the pumping room. Again OSHA said it was my preference since they did not make everyone carry all their belongings around with them at all times.
Next it was you have to wipe out the sink after using it, even though no one else does after pouring coffee down the sink. Talked to a lawyer, he said not to wipe the sink out if i did not want to because it made me feel like my using the sink was wrong (since I was the only one required to do so). He said HR knows they can't ask a single person to clean up differently than anyone else. He says that IF they say anything else about it we can bring a discriminatory case against them. So far HR has said nothing. I did try wiping out the sink for a while but if felt so unfair.

NOW today, by manager says that I'm leaving the lights on too long in the pumping room. I enter the room, turn on the lights, pump, leave to go clean the connector parts, bring the parts back and turn off the light.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not really asking for advice. I have a plan that includes leaving the company as soon as I can after baby 2 is born without paying back any benefits or disability leave pay.
I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

For those moms who tough it out and pump in their car, I really don't want your experience if it is going to say just pump in your car because I could never pump in my car and we can't afford to change my car or get a different one. Plus I'm of the opinion, that no one should be forced to pump in their vehicle.

Advertisement

LoriT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant ...

It's a shame you get crap like that for doing what's best for your baby. Maybe just post a sign on your desk that says, "Thank you for understanding that I'm a pumping mom. Because I'm a pumping mom my baby gets breastmilk that will make him healthier and save our company money on health insurance premiums. Cookies are accepted as a form of thanks!" Or something like that.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
LoriT02
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
It's a shame you get crap like that for doing what's best for your baby. Maybe just post a sign on your desk that says, "Thank you for understanding that I'm a pumping mom. Because I'm a pumping mom my baby gets breastmilk that will make him healthier and save our company money on health insurance premiums. Cookies are accepted as a form of thanks!" Or something like that.
I would so love to make that sign, but in real life I know what would happen.
My brother thinks I should file a hostile work environment complaint ~ something like a harassment complaint. I think that would only make it worse since HR is where the hostility is coming from whether directly or indirectly.

I was thinking about putting up some pictures or icons or something to decorate my workspace, but I'm sure they would tell me it is inappropriate for the workspace. They told me not to bring back a BF help book (I was reading it at lunch while I was pg with DS) so i can't image what they would do if I brought in pictures of me feeding DS and put them in little frames on my desk. Actually I can ~ they would most likely call it ****o or at the least nudity.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

OMG i am dealing with issues also...and from a boss that pumped too!!! I do not get scheduled breaks and do not even have a locked room.
I have been walked in on a couple of times even with a do not enter sign and when a complaint was made instead of sticking up for me management threw me under the bus. i work a 12 hour shift and do not get a lunch break because i use my time to go pump and i'm lucky if i get to pump twice so needless to say my supply sucks...oh and someone also took my milk container out to clean the fridge and left it out. i called that person at home and totally went beserk on them....we need to have a law passed that protects our pumping rights!
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i am ss mama! i can't imagine going through that at work. i guess i'm lucky that no one has ever said anything to me at my office, though we're a tiny office (7 people) so we don't even have HR. i don't have any real advice, just good for you for sticking it out and not letting them intimidate you!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Wow... that is just ridiculous that you have to put up with that. As long as you are sure you're within your rights (and it sounds like you are making sure, since you talked with an attorney) I would do whatever you need to, and to he** with people and their petty complaints.

Honestly, I would make sure to keep a record of every incident or complaint or silly request (ie, wiping out the sink). If it ever comes down to you wanting to file a harassment complaint or something, that will come in handy.

Is there a copy of a state law or something that you can give to your HR so they know you are within your rights?

I'm sorry mama... I hope you can tough it out till you are able to leave.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
LoriT02
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
OMG i am dealing with issues also...and from a boss that pumped too!!! I do not get scheduled breaks and do not even have a locked room.
I have been walked in on a couple of times even with a do not enter sign and when a complaint was made instead of sticking up for me management threw me under the bus. i work a 12 hour shift and do not get a lunch break because i use my time to go pump and i'm lucky if i get to pump twice so needless to say my supply sucks...oh and someone also took my milk container out to clean the fridge and left it out. i called that person at home and totally went beserk on them....we need to have a law passed that protects our pumping rights!
I guess I'm fortunate to get my breaks. It is kind of included in the law but not spelled out entirely. That so far is the one thing that they have not picked on and it is the one thing I thought they would go nuts over.
I also do not get a locked room. I used to block the door with a chair until they took out the spare chair. They told me to use the break room fridge once, and I made up a nice little sign that included a couple of non graphic pictures of breasts that said something like,
____'s BREAST milk for ______
Do not touch
Do not move
Above all do not harm in any way

I then showed my manager the sign and said since there were no rules about what could be on the containers in the break room fridge, I was going to use my sign if I could not bring in a small fridge for me to use. I was never asked to use the break room fridge again. I was also told to get rid of the sign and never bring it back to work as someone might be offended.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

UGH! i cannot believe how ridiculous your place of employment is!!! i would just want to smack them all!! seriously!?!?! and no way would i pump in my car either! i had a friend who pumped in a bathroom stall... come ON employers! get a freaking clue! i need to remind myself how completely lucky i am to be a profession where everyone has their own offices with doors and locks!! i've never ever had issue with someone complaining, but then again, with my office, most people are probably clueless. super huge to you right now. you should NOT have to deal with that kind of discrimination and general awfulness

Last edited by kt~mommy; 08-21-2009 at 12:16 AM.
kt~mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
MomE2MathU
Registered Users
seller

Wow. I agree that they are bordering on a hostile workplace complaint! Keep with it and hang in there. How childish that people didn't want to see you washing the parts. Seriously people? Don't look if you don't want to see it. You're just washing plastic pieces. What's so wrong with that?
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
court3189
Registered Users
seller

I'm apalled at your company's and coworker's behavior. I have to ask-what industry/line of business are you in? Do they not understand that your pumping is actually providing them a benefit? If not-maybe you should post some of the literature regarding how companies benefit when Mom's continue to nurse/pump for their babies.

I don't have any advice-sounds like your doing what I would do which is to plan to leave. I wouldn't want to work in such a hostile/unsupportive environment.

That said, I think there are plenty of pumping friendly companies. I've pumped at 4 different companies and received nothing but support and encouragement at all.

So sorry to hear your going threw this!

Edited to add-I have pumped in my car before-my choice, because I found it more relaxing then then the room I had to pump in. It's pretty easy to be discrete. Just wanted to throw out there that pumping in the car isn't always a bad thing.

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)

Last edited by court3189; 08-21-2009 at 08:46 AM.
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote