Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is Zofran safe?? Please share what you know!

I took it with this pregnancy with no problems! I trust that my OB wouldn't give me something that would hurt my baby!

Advertisement

png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
I took it with 3 of my pregnancies, my first to week 16 due to very severe Hypermesis Gravidarum...

I had healthy pregnancies, great deliveries, and all three of them are perfectly healthy kiddos. My midwife would never even consider giving me something that wasnt safe so when she recommends and/or prescribes a med to me, I have no problem trusting her judgement.
Even my VERY conservative w/ meds doctor okayed it.....but without I'd be getting ivs often when preggo and not able to take care of my kiddos. I had to take it once a day until I delivered w/ ds1 and dd, with ds2 to 20 weeks.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
floweringmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the responses. Did anyone take it who wasn't being admitted for liquids, etc??
Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

I took it with no issues. It was the ONLY thing that helped me after trying EVERYTHING.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
gypsysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

( I have not read all the other posts, sorry)

I had to take it for 2 months with my last pregnancy. My daughter is now 5 and we have no issues what so ever. Now for me it didn't help any, but nothing did. I was sick till the day she was born. But we had no problems whatsoever. And I am a "I hate taking anything" kind of girl. And I was super scared of anything going wrong in that pregnancy due to having a stillbron the prior pregnancy.

I have tried the whole unisome and b vitamin trick, it also did nothing for me last pregnancy or this one.

HTH
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
CJNeeley
Registered Users
seller

I've had to take it with mine... the kids are fine (except the preemie has an ASD and PDA but that's not related to the meds but being born 3 months early and having a family history), oh and they really stressed never to take it while nursing!! so make sure to stop when they are born...

here's the deal, it's strange if it's the first thing she'd suggest but otherwise not that odd... I lost around 35 pounds before we upped to that option... (and had a picc line and a home nurse coming to my house everyday to give me iv fluids, etc) and in subsequent pregnancies we always tried other methods until I'd lost at least 20+ lbs, and it was as needed in order to keep down sustenance instead of a mandatory straight into my bloodstream part of my day...

ETA: oh and I also had some signs of organ failure with the first pregnancy so with the 35 lb weight loss and high-risk twin pregnancy they may have been more anxious... and my history has always been a factor in deciding when it gets to a fork moment...

if you are underweight and/or have lost a significant amount of weight, then HG and not being able to keep down enough food means the baby will be trying to get it from you and resources/reserves you may not even have, which can lead to your death (and obviously the baby's as well since they need you to grow)... so I don't know that was a big factor for me and my decision... but I'll pass it on as it was explained to me, it's not yet been approved for pregnancy because there hasn't been enough studies done (or enough pregnant women who needed to be on it) to know for sure if it's safe yet but nothing has been found a problem yet either--therefore it's iffy... not been enough studies in breastfeeding women either, however in the limited results there have been some signs that it can sometimes be harmful to nurslings... so our midwife said to never, ever take the risk after the baby was born... basically, zofran is a cancer drug and is meant to be a strong anti-emetic for when nothing else is working... so you shouldn't get the feeling that your doctor is flip or thinks it's no big deal... but if you can't eat or keep hydrated and are in a bad way w/o it, then you probably shouldn't be afraid to take it either... with two pregnancies I had to take it up to and on delivery day but with the other 2 I only had to take it for a short while to get out of the danger zone and was able to be off it for most of the pregnancy...

Last edited by CJNeeley; 08-25-2009 at 08:09 AM.
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #17
justbishop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took the generic of it (oral ondansatron, 4mg) throughout my pregnancy for HG. Claudia seems perfectly fine.

It did take my vomitting down to 1x/day (when I first woke), but did not help with the actual nausea.
justbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #18
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have taken it for both of my pregnancies. Last time I did have to get IV fluids and I took Zofran from about 12 weeks until the day DS was born. So far I see no harmful effects on him. With this pregnancy, I started it from the beginning. I started out quite a bit underweight and was losing even more so for me the benefit outweighed the risk. Up until 12 weeks it pretty much just kept me from vomiting, but didn't take the nausea away. Now, at 15 weeks, I am still taking it every 8 hours. I am still nauseated a lot, but again, not vomiting if I take it. I don't really like the idea of taking anything, but I still have not gained any of the weight I lost back yet and I still feel that taking it is what is best for me.

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I thought I was going to die until I was given Zofran. It was really a miracle drug for me when I couldn't keep ANYTHING down. Many drugs are "not proven to be safe" simply because they haven't been studied in-depth yet. Anyone know of any cases where Zofran has caused problems? I'm curious, truly. I haven't heard of any, but that certainly doesn't mean there hasn't been any.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
Mommieof2
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took it with all my pregnancies infact I save it for the next because it's so expensive. I can't keep anything down and am in and out of the hospital with dehyration every time i'm prego. With out Zofran It was so much worse I call it my maricle drug. My midwife recommened it and something else that we'll call (leaves) so I picked the Zofran!

Last edited by Mommieof2; 08-25-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Mommieof2 is offline   Reply With Quote