Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A few questions ... Extended BF ... pumping ... how often ... DH (ugh)

I don't know where to start

Lets start with the good news! DH is a year old and was BF no supplementing.

But I am sick of pumping at work ... 2 times a day brings home 8-10oz .... I just don't feel like doing it anymore ... and not sure if I need to ...

Can you nurse just evenings? and then what? cow milk during the day? warm/cold? Do you put it in a cup? water? Juice? (he hasn't had juice yet) Oh and the doctor want him off the bottle ... he doesn't want him to get tooth rot. And with how bad DH's teeth are I cant blame him.

How often do you nurse your 1 year old? DS doesn't talk much ... not like DD but she weaned at 11 1/2 months ... so I cant really ask him. And he only seems to want it when he is sleepy or first thing in the morning ... and a 1 -2 time at night So we are at about 5 - 6 times in 24 hours.

Ugh! DH keeps asking when I am going to wean him? I not ready ... but it might be nice to cut back ... at least pumping. And to be fair I do want my bed back ... I am tired of being kicked The last few weeks DS has been sleeping in the pack and play in our room ... some times half the night ... sometime the full night (except nursing).

Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
spryght
Registered Users
seller

Re: A few questions ... Extended BF ... pumping ... how often ... DH (ugh)

My DD turned 2 this month and is still nursing several times a day, but at about 13 or so months she decided that she wasn't going to have anything to do with milk unless it came straight from the tap. So I quit pumping at work after about a week or two just to make sure it wasn't just a passing fancy on her part.

She still nurses when I get home from work, before bed, and once or twice a night, a few more times on weekends. At our 18 month appt with the Dr., she was asking about her diet and was initially concerned that she wasn't drinking (cow) milk until I mentioned that she was still nursing 4 -5 times a day. The doc said ohhh, then she's getting plenty of calcium.

I know DD is still getting at least some milk cause she still occasionally has milk face when she pulls off. The first week or two of not pumping the seat belt was a bit uncomfortable on the drive home from work, but it wasn't unbearable.

Good luck deciding what is best for the two of you.

Amy
Old 08-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
yytx
Registered Users

After a year, i too got tired of pumping - so DS drinks cow's milk during the day, although he had frozen BM for the 1st 2 months after i stopped - so he went 14 months BM, and now he nurses just once a day - at night to go to sleep... and sleeps through the night. dropped the morning session at abt 13.5-14 months, fairly easily with DH taking him downstairs in the morning for breakfast (after morning hugs and smooches, of course!!) - he took dropping the morning session fairly well and has only asked to nurse a few times when he wasn't feeling well (and of course, i did...)

night weaning was a bit trickier - but DH was WONDERFUL and got up with him and walked him around to help calm him down, he really didn't nurse then just wanted snuggles and help getting back to sleep. once he realized that he wasn't getting nursed he stopped getting up after a few nights with very little crying

now at 16 months we have occasional nights where he does wake up (esply with these molars coming in!!!) but goes back to sleep after a little cuddling (and sleeps in his own crib)

don't seem to have any supply issues, i think the key is taking things fairly slowly (had to pump for a few minutes to express some milk for a little while after dropping pump sessions and morning) HTH!! congratulations on making it so long already!!!
yytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for the great stories I forgot all about the freezer stash!!! I was going to donate the extra milk ... should he go to cow milk and donate the freezer stash or should I just give it to DS.
I have been donating to Prolacta for "human milk fortifier" from breast milk
http://www.prolacta.com/fortifier.php

I can go down to pumping once a day and try the freezer stash ... it will just be so weird to give a bottle to DS. DH and I haven't given him a bottle in over 6 months (just the Grandmas while I am at work).
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

Here is what we did: When he was getting closer to a year, I cut down pumping to 1x/day and gradually moved it later and later. Then right after his birthday, i was able to stop with minimal engorgement. He now gets cows milk at daycare in a sippy. He nurses once in the evening and then once when he gets up. On the weekends he nurses about 2-3 more times during the day.

We also transitioned him out of our bed around 1. He just got too restless and wasn't sleeping very well anymore. We started off putting him to bed in the pack n play next to the bed, then bringing him into bed to nurse. Eventually we moved him to his crib in his room. He still got up once a night for awhile, but we just worked on night weaning (about 16 mo), so he mostly sttn now. He actually only woke up once to nurse, then after realizing it wasn't going to happen he STTN the next night! He didn't even cry too much the first night, which made me feel like he was really ready.
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

With both my kids, I quit pumping at around a year. DS continued nursing until I weaned him at 16 months, DD is still going strong at 17 months. We just nurse on demand night/weekends when we're together.